September 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I was noticing the same thing. Forcing in the GOA seems to be holding the trough over us.

Still a wonky looking pattern. Maybe part of my surprise was that the 12z Euro was the first model where I have actually looked at the 500mb pattern in the last few days. I've mainly been perusing output.

Tries to become a rex block, particularly on the GFS. Euro and Canadian are a lot more progressive which seems more reasonable.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Tries to become a rex block, particularly on the GFS. Euro and Canadian are a lot more progressive which seems more reasonable.

Yeah. I feel like I haven't seen this much of a sustained cool pattern in the upper levels in the models for a few years. Almost need to rub my eyes.

Really good ensemble support for the 12z Euro. It seems to hang things up a little less on Tuesday as well, moving the northern branch trough in more aggressively.

The pattern progged in the long range (wave-2 w/ dual anticyclonic breakers) would be a nationwide icebox were it to occur in N/D/J/F/M.

• Like 1

Thanksgiving is in November. :)

You know he is from Canada so what was the point of this post.

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

He wants to build a wall between Canada and the U.S.

That explains everything.

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Snohomish County looks to be hardest hit with rain in the metro area.

Looks like a convergence zone might set up.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Looks like we may have a cool September in the bag.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If anyone is interested, I finally connected my weather station to Wunderground. Have been wanting to do this for awhile, and honestly the whole process was much easier than I thought it would be. Everything is up and running, except for the fact they mislocated it by a few miles. I'll try to figure that out sometime this week.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDBETHE56#history

Anemometer was/is a challenge with the large tulip poplars around here. Installed a 50ft antenna on the roof for a total of ~80ft of altitude...which ultimately wasn't nearly high enough to clear the treetops but will hopefully compensate for some of the windbreaks.

If anyone is interested, I finally connected my weather station to Wunderground. Have been wanting to do this for awhile, and honestly the whole process was much easier than I thought it would be. Everything is up and running, except for the fact they mislocated it by a few miles. I'll try to figure that out sometime this week.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDBETHE56#history

Anemometer was/is a challenge with the large tulip poplars around here. Installed a 50ft antenna on the roof for a total of ~80ft of altitude...which ultimately wasn't nearly high enough to clear the treetops but will hopefully compensate for some of the windbreaks.

Down into the 60's. Sounds like you're getting some relief.
  • Like 1

Down into the 60's. Sounds like you're getting some relief.

Yeah, a very nice reprieve. I'm still jealous of the troughing you guys are about to experience, though. :P