October 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

TT-SEA

Regardless of how this turns out in terms of intensity it's pretty neat thinking we're about to get hit by a pocket of low pressure that just 4 days ago was a super typhoon. That certainly doesn't happen very often. Hopefully it will just be a fun storm and nothing too destructive. Can't help but feel there will still be at least some lingering aspects of the origin of this system when it hits.

Here is the latest HRRR at 5 p.m. this evening showing wind gusts... about the same as the other models.

Interesting to note that much of the West has wind gusts similar to the Seattle area at that time.   In fact... look at Nevada and even from San Francisco to Sacramento and up towards the Sierras.    Looks relatively calm in King County by comparison.   :)

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/for_web/hrrr_jet/2016101510/t1/gust_t110m_f14.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Peak winds.

Wow. I would see insane winds.

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Where is everybody? It's Saturday...... is the power out already? :lol:

Hung over.

• Like 1

2013/2014 Winter season

I feel that. Cheap beer and not enough water for me last night. ;(

Oh those are the worst mornings :(

2013/2014 Winter season

Its not that bad. I paced myself haha but the lack of hydration is evident this morning. The excitement for todays storm is what motivated me to get out of bed at the hour I did.

Water is key when you drink but sometimes I even forget and regret it when I wake up.

2013/2014 Winter season

Anyone think PDX might not see a gust over 45 mph? I think the public is going to be pretty upset about the big media blowup once this afternoon turns out to be unimpressive down here. 

Its going to be bad... people are probably going to storm government buildings and the NWS office.    I would get out of town while you can.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Anyone think PDX might not see a gust over 45 mph? I think the public is going to be pretty upset about the big media blowup once this afternoon turns out to be unimpressive down here. 

Looking unlikely we get much over that.

The 1962 comparisons from some in the media the past few days have been recklessly moronic.

• Like 2

Looking unlikely we get much over that.

The 1962 comparisons from some in the media the past few days have been recklessly moronic.

Yeah. I have been talking to people at work and people are buying into this being a big time storm. Someone up in Washington is going to get nailed pretty good, but it won't be anything super notable down here. 

Yeah. I have been talking to people at work and people are buying into this being a big time storm. Someone up in Washington is going to get nailed pretty good, but it won't be anything super notable down here.

Probably why DJ quit doing his updates...I don't blame him, when Oregon was getting nailed by snow and we were high and dry up here I didn't want to post much either.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Peak wind gust time on the WRF for most of Western WA... 8 p.m. this evening.   

Pretty wimpy for Seattle... not any more windy than yesterday.   Looks like 40-45 mph gusts near the Sound and less for the eastern side of the Seattle area.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/ww_wgsfc.15.0000.gif

Going to be an average event for us south Puget sounders ... north looks to get pounded windmaggedon style... leave laden trees will push up power outages.

"Leave laden"? Come on man, that's terrible.

• Like 1

The operational GFS shows this being a real dud for Seattle.  The WRF has the track more to the east, but still only a marginal high wind event for Seattle.  The central and north WA Coast look to get hammered though as well the north interior and southern Vancouver Island.  Looks like Point Roberts could have some serious damage if the WRF is correct.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The operational GFS shows this being a real dud for Seattle. The WRF has the track more to the east, but still only a marginal high wind event for Seattle. The central and north WA Coast look to get hammered though as well the north interior and southern Vancouver Island. Looks like Point Roberts could have some serious damage if the WRF is correct.

Problem is what model to believe?

Its going to be bad... people are probably going to storm government buildings and the NWS office.    I would get out of town while you can.   

The funny thing is that actually happened in Seattle in January 1909.  People were so pissed off about the prolonged cold and snow and an earthquake in the midst of all that they took up arms and blocked the exits of the Weather Bureau building and wouldn't let people leave.  If only weathermen had as much control over the weather as people thought back then! :lol:

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9