October 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

TT-SEA

Problem is what model to believe?

Anything is still possible, but the normal outcome of these is a stronger more northerly tracking low than expected.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like the low is about 979mb off Oregon coast at 12z. At 6z it was 988mb, for comparison purposes.

The GFS has been consistently weaker on this than all other models. I believe it's still the only one showing the low never dropping below 975mb. I guess we'll know which is right soon enough; most other models are going for 967~970mb.

• Like 1

The funny thing is that actually happened in Seattle in January 1909. People were so pissed off about the prolonged cold and snow and an earthquake in the midst of all that they took up arms and blocked the exits of the Weather Bureau building and wouldn't let people leave. If only weathermen had as much control over the weather as people thought back then! :lol:

Two scientists were recently jailed for failing to predict an Earthquake. I don't think we've come very far.

A 970mb low taking this tract is not typical.

The results will be typical in Seattle proper... due to a tight wind field and westerly track.   

The storm is strong and some places will be hit hard.   For Seattle and Portland is will be very much like a typical fall storm.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

He downplays everything. Typical Tim

OK Bryant.

Questions were being asked about the Seattle area.

Tell me how we should respond?   Historic storm with massive problems?    That would be wrong.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Two scientists were recently jailed for failing to predict an Earthquake. I don't think we've come very far.

Wow!  I hadn't heard that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The funny thing is that actually happened in Seattle in January 1909.  People were so pissed off about the prolonged cold and snow and an earthquake in the midst of all that they took up arms and blocked the exits of the Weather Bureau building and wouldn't let people leave.  If only weathermen had as much control over the weather as people thought back then! :lol:

Can you link me to a story on this?

I am not at ocean yet. I'll keep you maniacs posted lol.

It should be incredible there.  WRF shows hurricane force gusts for that area.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It should be incredible there. WRF shows hurricane force gusts for that area.

Indeed! I am quite jealous, that will be about as good of storm watching on the coast as it gets!!! Have fun and stay safe Mr. Snowmizer!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I agree that, at this point at least, this doesn't look like as big of deal for the Seattle area than what media/NWS believes. Looking at the gradients at around 2PM, when the low is off the mouth of the Columbia river, you might get some nice east winds out of the passes. That might be your best shot at high(er) winds if this thing tracks further W/NW.

We don't normally get too much east wind in Carnation as we aren't in a "gap" like North Bend.

A good east wind here is very common.   We have strong east winds ahead of most warm fronts in the fall and winter.   Its dead calm here now though.    The winds switch to southerly later this afternoon.

This should be a non-event for this area... probably less windy than yesterday.  

It would definitely be fun to be in Ocean Shores taking in the action without worrying about your own property.

The 12Z GFS is pretty much perfect for most of the run.   

Plenty of dry weather... but with a cool air mass making inversions unlikely.     

We might be rewarded now with now beautiful fall weather after paying our stormy dues.  :)

LOL - That would be quite fitting given how this storm has been modeled so far! I think this will be one of those times where we won't know the exact strength/track until it starts happening. Models have just been wiff-waffling too much and, as Dewey mentioned last night, the wind field on this thing is so small that if it comes in even 20 miles E/SE from Cape Flattery, it will hit Seattle area much harder.

Cliff Mass mentioned in his blog post this morning that it seems the buoy readings of hPa are showing the low to be a little stronger than currently modeled at this point. That being said, I think the WRF will end up correct with the track. Strength, up in the air.

It wouldn't take much of a change for this to be pretty bad for Seattle.

Considering we have been tracking this storm for going on a week now, I would say the models have handled it pretty well overall. 

They have.  Nailing down the exact details is impossible more than a day or two out, but they did well with the big picture.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

On a non-storm related weather note....It has been relatively cool here this month.  Running -2F through the 13th at Shawnigan Lake. 

Nice.  We are running about right on normal here.  Decent shot the month ends up below normal for most of us.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

They have.  Nailing down the exact details is impossible more than a day or two out, but they did well with the big picture.

Even more than week ago we were looking at this basic set-up around this time frame and we all commented on it.  

Nice.  We are running about right on normal here.  Decent shot the month ends up below normal for most of us.

Seems more likely with much drier weather ahead now.  

Looking at latest models at satellite trends, 45-55 mph gusts for PDX area seems like a safe bet.

Should still cause quite a few issues out there later today with the trees still mostly fully leafed.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I am not at ocean yet. I'll keep you maniacs posted lol.

That is actually really cool that your there for this event. Only once have I had a front row seat at the ocean during a storm and I was 9 years old. All I remember is being told to stay in the car..... :|

NWS calling for 75 mph gusts for western Whatcom county.

Going to be Wild up there! I'm hoping for at least a gust or two of 60mph here in northern Snohomish Co.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!