November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

Need fuel for the Night Shift later. Here's the dilemma. I want pizza. I only see Totinos. Growing up when I was a kid that was a treat, and now they taste like fresh dog shit. I do need model riding fuel though.... Resorting to a sandwich at this point would be depressing like admitting defeat to the possible crummy 00z EURO/EPS trends. Cereal is okay, but feels like a heck of a compromise. Apple slices? I may as well strap on a helmet and get a coloring book. This is not too dissimilar to when I was in Bi-mart yesterday. Friggin New Kids on the Block was playing over the PA. I felt like I was being thrown off a bridge. I was about to end it right there next to the pillows and almonds. Just have to keep trudging on. Better model runs ahead.

• Like 4
  • lol 3
  • Popcorn 1

2 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Need fuel for the Night Shift later. Here's the dilemma. I want pizza. I only see Totinos. Growing up when I was a kid that was a treat, and now they taste like fresh dog . I do need model riding fuel though.... Resorting to a sandwich at this point would be depressing like admitting defeat to the possible crummy 00z EURO/EPS trends. Cereal is okay, but feels like a heck of a compromise. Apple slices? I may as well strap on a helmet and get a coloring book. This is not too dissimilar to when I was in Bi-mart yesterday. Friggin New Kids on the Block was playing over the PA. I felt like I was being thrown off a bridge. I was about to end it right there next to the pillows and almonds. Just have to keep trudging on. Better model runs ahead.

The only time we go to Bimart is to get our fishing lic lol!

• Excited 1

Just now, MWG said:

The only time we go to Bimart is to get our fishing lic lol!

That's where I always get mine as well, along with P-line, Stoneflies, Adams flies, ya know fishing stuff. All kinds of stuff. They got it all!

6z GFS in 1 hour 24 minutes

I hope the GFS holds steady and doesn't move to a possible solution of shoving the arctic trough off the BC Coast. No bueno on that. NOPE!

3 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

ecmwf-ensemble-KPDX-daily_tmin_tmax-9334400.png

That's not bad I suppose. Assuming this is with offshore flow I am always 3-5F colder than the airport which drops my high temps further. Also, in that pattern temperatures always level off around 2:45 PM and fall quickly after. Icy cold. @Kolk1604 can you please also post The Dalles?

• Like 1

It’s good to see that the EPS is still holding on to the cold temps while the GEFS seems to be on a little warming trend. It’s usually the other way around.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

00z EPS persistent low level cold. Day 5.5+ The Gorge and Columbia Basin are in the freezer to the end of the run and probably beyond. Very impressive. Assuming that means a lot of cold east winds for PDX. If so, I won't even reach freezing here I'm always 3-5F colder than the airport in this kind of pattern. Models nearly always do not handle cold pools of this magnitude very well, so I would bank on temperatures in PDX metro and Gorge being even colder than this.
floop-epsens-2022112500.sfct-mean-imp.us_nw.gif
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:
00z EPS persistent low level cold. Day 5.5+ The Gorge and Columbia Basin are in the freezer to the end of the run and probably beyond. Very impressive. Assuming that means a lot of cold east winds for PDX. If so, I won't even reach freezing here I'm always 3-5F colder than the airport in this kind of pattern. Models nearly always do not handle cold pools of this magnitude very well, so I would bank on temperatures in PDX metro and Gorge being even colder than this.
floop-epsens-2022112500.sfct-mean-imp.us_nw.gif

Always nice having outflow in these situations

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Currently at 42. Looks like I could clock in another day with over an inch of rain tomorrow. Would be the 2nd one in the past week.

• Like 1

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

6z NAM Hr 78 (Past 2 runs) A few notches further west with the first trough. Yep, we are now into notch season. It may not mean much who knows.

Here's a fun fact though. If you watch The Karate Kid backwards it's a story about a karate champion who moves back to New Jersey and becomes a total pussy. 6z GFS in 17 minutes!

nam_z500a_namer_fh78_trend(1).gif

• lol 4

06z NAM shows some snow around the puget sound Sunday night. Looks like the temps support it away from the water at least.

25979EC5-76B0-4550-AEC9-621B4D230150.png

• Snow 1
  • Shivering 1

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Like how the block isn't degrading this run-- yet. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"