December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I think its going to take work to overcome our dry air mass and we do not have the moisture push we had last Thursday.

We'll see. There are a few things happening that weren't expected.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Great initialization on the 00Z NAM... looks like precip all the way up to Arlington at 5 p.m.!

Still waiting for snow total reports from our Seattle area members.    <_>

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/nam4km/2016121500/nam4km_ref_frzn_nwus_1.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So come to find out its pretty easy to see even the smallest snow flake with the 40000 lumens of light bar on my truck. Just went for a drive and there are flurries on the south end of kitsap county out by the hood canal.

Yay!

Some nice looking stuff moving into Pacific County now. Precip well west of what was expected at this time.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yay!

Some nice looking stuff moving into Pacific County now. Precip well west of what was expected at this time.

Here was the HRRR from this morning for this evening... looks about right.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/for_web/hrrr_ncep_jet/2016121417/t1/1ref_t1sfc_f11.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That Scandinavia/Eurasia ridge signal is starting to look like the real deal after Xmas. The Arctic hiatus/+EPO probably won't last much beyond New Years.

• Like 2

You can actually see some shear going on when you look at the radar in snow mode. Two different levels of precip...one moving from the SW and the other from the SE.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That Scandinavia/Eurasia ridge signal is starting to look like the real deal after Xmas. The Arctic hiatus/+EPO probably won't last much beyond New Years.

Good deal!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So come to find out its pretty easy to see even the smallest snow flake with the 40000 lumens of light bar on my truck. Just went for a drive and there are flurries on the south end of kitsap county out by the hood canal.

It's coming! We are going to get buried!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Good deal!

Yeah, this was probably just a warm-up. Surf zone amplifies around/just after New Years, blowing up the NPAC high again while the Scandinavian ridge attempts to nudge poleward.

End result: More winter.

Yeah, this might've just been a warm-up. Surf zone amplifies around/just after New Years, blowing up the NPAC high again while the Scandinavian ridge attempts to nudge poleward.

End result: More winter.

Thanks Phil!!! This time I mean it!!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

to far south.

Looks pretty good to me...actually amazingly good.    I am impressed with the HRRR this time.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/for_web/hrrr_ncep_jet/2016121417/t1/1ref_t1sfc_f10.png

Here is the actual radar... 

pacnorthwest.gif

Thanks Phil!!! This time I mean it!!

Haha. You're welcome. :P

While the (initial) longitudinal location of the block may be somewhat challenging, eventually (through discontinuous retrogression), you will score an Arctic blast and some additional snowfall opportunities.

How's that deformation zone looking? I see that blob of precip moving in to the west now.

I was just checking web cams... snowing pretty good around Staleys Junction on 26 and that might be coming your way.  

US26_at_Staleys_Junction2_pid2981.jpg

Hearing reports of some 3-4 hour commutes around Portland and even some people abandoning their cars on the interstate.

Also hearing there may still be school buses trying to get kids home.

Can anyone confirm?

Pretty amazing what a couple inches can do around here.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Hearing reports of some 4 hour commutes around Portland and even some people abandoning their cars on the interstate.

Also hearing there may still be a lot of school buses trying to get kids home.

Can anyone confirm?

I was just out in it. It is pretty terrible. Took me over two hours to get home. It normally would have taken 20 minutes. I saw 2 buses stuck on the side of the road with kids. I also helped push a few cars up a very slight incline in Tigard. It is a mess.

BUT I LIKE SNOW.

Doesn't look all that dynamic. Might get me to the two inch promise land. About 1/3 inch short, best I can tell.

It's about the same here too. It's been pretty windy though, as I said earlier, so there are some spots that are still totally bare and others with 5-6" drifts.

I'd like to think that even though the DZ isn't all that dynamic it could still be a boone to any location it stalls over. They tend to go semi-stationary some times. Also winds are lightening up now so I could get some more uniform coverage. I'm being picky now!!

It's about the same here too. It's been pretty windy though, as I said earlier, so there are some spots that are still totally bare and others with 5-6" drifts.

I'd like to think that even though the DZ isn't all that dynamic it could still be a boone to any location it stalls over. They tend to go semi-stationary some times. Also winds are lightening up now so I could get some more uniform coverage. I'm being picky now!!

We definitely benefited from the lack of wind this go around, although at this point it hasn't been a whole lot more snow overall.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Hearing reports of some 3-4 hour commutes around Portland and even some people abandoning their cars on the interstate.

Also hearing there may still be school buses trying to get kids home.

Can anyone confirm?

A major route from Columbia county to Washington county (conrnelius pass) is closed due to a jackknifed truck.

School busses are meeting parents on highways.

My sister and bro in law just got home from pdx, left at 3:30. Usually 35 minutes