January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

Wow, really hoping this one works out for a widespread event, especially those who've been in the screw zone this winter.

If current trends hold true, no matter how much snow falls where, 2016-17 will join the rare ranks of winters that had significant PNW cold/lowland snow in December, January, and February.

A forum for the end of the world.

Hit 41 today, down to 33 already.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I am going to end January with very similar temps to December. It looks like about 1 degree cooler. The last half of January down here was actually average to slightly above. Only 1 sub-40 high after the 16th. I think January 2013 was actually slightly cooler...

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/jma_amer_12/PN_D5_TT_TT_P1_NT_UV_UU_VV_METE_12000_Portland.png

Just for fun I tried to calculate how much snow the JMA would give PDX. I counted 38mm when the surface temperature is freezing or below with negative 850 temps for next week. Assuming this is all snow, 38mm is roughly 1.5" of liquid precipitation and would be 15" of snow with the standard 10:1 ratio. It's still a long ways out but almost all the models are showing good snowfall accumulations for next week.

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

I am going to end January with very similar temps to December. It looks like about 1 degree cooler. The last half of January down here was actually average to slightly above. Only 1 sub-40 high after the 16th. I think January 2013 was actually slightly cooler...

Meanwhile up here we are enjoying the coldest month since 1985. :D

• Like 1

I know it's February, but I've always wondered: what do you think have been the most catastrophic fire weather scenarios in the PNW throughout history. Like, a complete burn ban for all of WA/OR/ID/MT, on top of a complete campfire ban for all of British Columbia. Summers of 2003, 2014 and 2015 spring to mind.

How many snow/ZR events is it going to take for Portland/Multnomah county to get proper snow removal equipment and procedures? Maybe they're in denial.

Anyway, it's suddenly looking good here for some wet snow. I'm not optimistic though.

You know we will pay for all of this winter weather by getting nothing the next 3-5 winters.

Yeah the gorge really helped PDX with this one. PDX's negative departure is significantly greater than anywhere else west of the Cascades. The departure here will end up about -4.5 or so which is pretty similar to most other places west of the Cascades in Oregon and Washington. East of the Cascades was significantly colder and PDX was able to tap into that. With really the biggest difference being the 2nd half of the month when they avoided some of the milder days and positive departures other places put up. Plus it really wasn't the kind of set up that would pull of a massive departure up here... Looking at December 1985 here, it was a fairly cold month, but it was actually a bit warmer than PDX that month, which makes sense given how inversiony it was.

All in all it looks like it will still end up the coldest Dec/Jan combo up here since 78-79. Still haven't hit 50 here since November 29th.

And this month here is still about a degree colder than PDX....Though a typical January would be about 4-5 degrees colder...

Any winters we beat in snowfall total if that happens?

Not sure where our current snowfall total ranks to be honest.

Anyone know?

It is kind of misleading though since the NWS office in Portland only recorded 8 inches of snow while parts of even NW downtown recorded 13+ inches. I had about 12 inches.

I know it's February, but I've always wondered: what do you think have been the most catastrophic fire weather scenarios in the PNW throughout history. Like, a complete burn ban for all of WA/OR/ID/MT, on top of a complete campfire ban for all of British Columbia. Summers of 2003, 2014 and 2015 spring to mind.

I've been wondering the same thing today. Can't seem to get it off my mind!

• Like 1

The timing on the 0z NAM is now about in line with the GFS and other models for the Thursday night - Friday overrunning event. But it looks way warmer than any of the other models right now. That upper level vortex rolling too far offshore is certainly one negative way this could unfold. Not a good phasing with the approaching low.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/namconus/2017020100/namconus_T850_nwus_53.png

The timing on the 0z NAM is now about in line with the GFS and other models for the Thursday night - Friday overrunning event. But it looks way warmer than any of the other models right now. That upper level vortex rolling too far offshore is certainly one negative way this could unfold.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/namconus/2017020100/namconus_T850_nwus_53.png

NAM is very splitty going into the weekend. It's a definite risk so much 500mb cyclogenesis.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

According to the 00z NAM, this is the total precip that falls over PDX that is frozen. Several of the bands just split and fall apart as they lift north. 

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/namconus/2017020100/namconus_apcpn_nwus_23.png

Basically nothing. By the time any real precip arrives, it is shown as all rain.

NAM thinks no one gets any real snow out of this on the west side of the cascades.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/namconus/2017020100/namconus_asnow_nwus_29.png

The 3km 00z NAM has a deformation band ahead of the low trying to move north into PDX but it gets obliterated by the dry east winds.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/nam3km/2017020100/nam3km_ref_frzn_nwus_33.png

I know it's February, but I've always wondered: what do you think have been the most catastrophic fire weather scenarios in the PNW throughout history. Like, a complete burn ban for all of WA/OR/ID/MT, on top of a complete campfire ban for all of British Columbia. Summers of 2003, 2014 and 2015 spring to mind.

I know there were some really bad ones in the 80s.  Probably 84 and / or 85.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If it drops to 26 here before midnight I will record the coldest January of the century so far.  Still looking for a really cold one though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest Dome Buster

Last event had numerous models with a trace of snow over most of PDX.  Even Mark Nelsen said trace to 2 inches, with the most over west side of the district.

We all remember what "really" happened. 

Yeah the gorge really helped PDX with this one. PDX's negative departure is significantly greater than anywhere else west of the Cascades. The departure here will end up about -4.5 or so which is pretty similar to most other places west of the Cascades in Oregon and Washington. East of the Cascades was significantly colder and PDX was able to tap into that. With really the biggest difference being the 2nd half of the month when they avoided some of the milder days and positive departures other places put up. Plus it really wasn't the kind of set up that would pull of a massive departure up here... Looking at December 1985 here, it was a fairly cold month, but it was actually a bit warmer than PDX that month, which makes sense given how inversiony it was.

All in all it looks like it will still end up the coldest Dec/Jan combo up here since 78-79. Still haven't hit 50 here since November 29th.

And this month here is still about a degree colder than PDX....Though a typical January would be about 4-5 degrees colder...

The last two months is going to go down as a true blockbuster from a low level cold perspective. I would suspect you'd have a whole lot of trouble finding as cold a December/January combo with such a consistent, relatively unimpressive group of upper level air masses. As it stands, we saw about two days of prime-placed blocking throughout the entire period.

In this area Nov - Dec 1985 had an incredibly cold two month average.  December was way colder here than most places west of the Cascades probably due to seepage from the passes.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The last two months is going to go down as a true blockbuster from a low level cold perspective. I would suspect you'd have a whole lot of trouble finding as cold a December/January combo with such a consistent, relatively unimpressive group of upper level air masses. As it stands, we saw about two days of prime-placed blocking throughout the entire period.

This has been been a pretty impressive winter from the standpoint of us getting repeated shots of low level continental cold.  In many cases once it arrived there was nothing to get rid of it..especially in Portland.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest Dome Buster

I just posted this on the fox12 weather blog.

Yep.  And you were so positive last time that most places may see an inch or two.  Trace most places.

Let's just realize at this point that PNW forecasting is 50/50 and prepare for the worst.  It is very irresponsible for Mark and other forecasters in the area....IE; Rod Hill, to tell people it isn't a big deal.

What I see on satellite at the moment is cold air pouring down south eating away at the offshore low pressure system.  It will eventually move in, most likely with a lot of low level cold to work with.  How cold?  Mark, and no one else knows. 

Get away from your models for a second and look at what is happening in real time... Good lord.

Yep. And you were so positive last time that most places may see an inch or two. Trace most places.

Let's just realize at this point that PNW forecasting is 50/50 and prepare for the worst. It is very irresponsible for Mark and other forecasters in the area....IE; Rod Hill, to tell people it isn't a big deal.

What I see on satellite at the moment is cold air pouring down south eating away at the offshore low pressure system. It will eventually move in, most likely with a lot of low level cold to work with. How cold? Mark, and no one else knows.

Get away from your models for a second and look at what is happening in real time... Good lord.

Definitely something to be proud of.

• Like 3

Yep. And you were so positive last time that most places may see an inch or two. Trace most places.

Let's just realize at this point that PNW forecasting is 50/50 and prepare for the worst. It is very irresponsible for Mark and other forecasters in the area....IE; Rod Hill, to tell people it isn't a big deal.

What I see on satellite at the moment is cold air pouring down south eating away at the offshore low pressure system. It will eventually move in, most likely with a lot of low level cold to work with. How cold? Mark, and no one else knows.

Your point is?

I read that over there. Just as dumb here as it was there.

Yep.  And you were so positive last time that most places may see an inch or two.  Trace most places.

Let's just realize at this point that PNW forecasting is 50/50 and prepare for the worst.  It is very irresponsible for Mark and other forecasters in the area....IE; Rod Hill, to tell people it isn't a big deal.

What I see on satellite at the moment is cold air pouring down south eating away at the offshore low pressure system.  It will eventually move in, most likely with a lot of low level cold to work with.  How cold?  Mark, and no one else knows. 

I have no idea how Mark still has a job when you exist

Guest Dome Buster

I have no idea how Mark still has a job when you exist

I respect Mark and you guys don't even realize he is actually a family member of mine. 

The point is, if a trained eye of satellite loops and water vapor loops, ie; Rob?, were to see that forecast versus what was really happening, he would most likely say what I am saying.  I understand all the mainstream "hysteria" avoidance, but it is downright irresponsible not to bring up possibilities that it could be a lot worse.

I am at the moment letting my girlfriend know that Friday morning could be another mess.  Regardless of what Rod Hill would have some of us believe..

Weren't you the one saying, "No way in hell. Maybe this would have given us snow in the 80s but not now. " in regard to the last event?

Guest Dome Buster

Weren't you the one saying, "No way in hell. Maybe this would have given us snow in the 80s but not now. " in regard to the last event?

Well, I was stood corrected!!

I was amazed at the over-performance of the last event.  Just shows that this year is different and the intrusion of east winds is more dense and persistent than the last 30 years (2008 exempt from this).  Just a strange year as I figured we were screwed again due to lack of dense snow cover in the basin, originally.

Now that we have a good basin snow.  All bets are off.

Well, I was stood corrected!!

I was amazed at the over-performance of the last event. Just shows that this year is different and the intrusion of east winds is more dense and persistent than the last 30 years (2008 exempt from this). Just a strange year as I figured we were screwed again due to lack of dense snow cover in the basin, originally.

Now that we have a good basin snow. All bets are off.

No one even checked the east wind density index (EWDI) going into this winter. Would have saved us from a lot of model riding.