February 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Coming down good. 31 degrees.

But air too dry...temps too warm...precip rates much too light...wasn't that the call from the pro's today calling for just some light rain or a mix?!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Seattle NWS says cold rain rest of week

And weekend and next week...followed by warm rain later in the week...they like their rain!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

So both the RPM and WRF want to give the whole Willamette valley a good snowstorm Sunday as well.  This map obviously doesn't go far out enough to include all of the snow that should fall further north.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/2017020300/images_d2/msnow24.96.0000.gif

The reason is pretty clear now, high precip rates creating an isothermal profile

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/kpdx.81.0000.snd.gif

• Like 2

Apparently the WRF was just updated in the last couple days to try to correct the bias to push low level cold air out to quickly.

Cliff Mass mentioned that it would likely have a huge impact on snowfall predictions around the Columbia Gorge.

I'd take tonight's snow maps for Western Oregon with a larger than usual grain of salt as it could easily be an overcorrection.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Apparently the WRF was just updated in the last couple days to try to correct the bias to push low level cold air out to quickly.

Cliff Mass mentioned that it would likely have a huge impact on snowfall predictions around the Columbia Gorge.

I'd take tonight's snow maps for Western Oregon with a larger than usual grain of salt as it could easily be an overcorrection.

Wow... that is huge news.   Very nice.   Now they need to fix its under-estimation of inversions as well.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks a lot like March 2012...That snow map does at least lol

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Definitely a good sign that you're seeing snow in an area where the 0z WRF showed virtually nothing. Another strike on the reliability of these snow maps:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/2017020300/images_d3/wa_snow48.48.0000.gif

It shows snow over Chehalis gap which is similar terrain to Kitsap Peninsula. So it's not that far off.

I really like the setup shown on the WRF for Sunday night / Monday morning. A low tracks from SW to NE and stays south / east of the Seattle area. Good backwash behind the surface low opens the flood gates on the cold air poised just to our north which really aids in CAA along with decent snowfall. Looking really good at this point.

I can't help but wonder if the NWS is going for the reverse the psychology mode on this thing. They have to know this has a good chance of working out.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Could snow_wiz or PullyallupJon be getting snow flurries as well?  The silence is deafening.

The band is almost here. Might get quick flurry. I'm already seeing some evaporative cooling taking place.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Could snow_wiz or PullyallupJon be getting snow flurries as well?  The silence is deafening.

Yes for PuyallupJon  possible for the wiz... Looking at radar it is possible but the east wind component where he lives "might" make it tougher, specially since precipitation rates are not real heavy. 

That being said I am not expecting any to much accumulation tonight, it as just nice to see it falling. I was thinking the dry air would zap out the moisture before it would hit the ground.

The band is almost here. Might get quick flurry. I'm already seeing some evaporative cooling taking place.

The band is pretty much past you now.   Almost past my house as well.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Definitely a good sign that you're seeing snow in an area where the 0z WRF showed virtually nothing. Another strike on the reliability of these snow maps:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/2017020300/images_d3/wa_snow48.48.0000.gif

This map hurts to look at. I'm literally 5 miles south of the snow line there

Wow... that is huge news.   Very nice.   Now they need to fix its under-estimation of inversions as well.  

So I need to retract my bashing of the WRF somewhat. If you look at the standard "snowfall" map, it incorrectly shows snow for PDX tonight  even though that is impossible with the warmer air aloft. However if you look at "model snowfall", it correctly accounts for the air profile. Mark Nelsen posted about this a few minutes ago. 

It seems the regular snowfall map works fine usually but it spits out total nonsense when dealing with inversions. Does it just base precip type based on surface temp? I doubt it would be that dumb. 

It shows snow over Chehalis gap which is similar terrain to Kitsap Peninsula. So it's not that far off.

Much of it was forecast later on, and it looks a lot more widespread on the radar than that would indicate. I wouldn't be surprised if this overrun turns out to be a bit more moisture rich than forecast and more areas in the snowless zone on the WRF end up with 1/2"+. This system started its life over a region of subtropical ocean afterall.

Seeing a little bit of light snow right now. It's pretty windy so it's just blowing around.

On another note Monday looks amazing for the Seattle area. Solidly cold and snowy on the WRF. the WRF shows two good surges of cold for the Seattle area...one on Monday and the other on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

GFS MOS for SEA:

Fri  47

Sat  49

Sun  46

Mon  42

Tues  45

That truly makes me doubt the WRF.     You cannot discount the GFS MOS.   Its the gut check for these events... seen it many times.  

Yes for PuyallupJon  possible for the wiz... Looking at radar it is possible but the east wind component where he lives "might" make it tougher, specially since precipitation rates are not real heavy. 

That being said I am not expecting any to much accumulation tonight, it as just nice to see it falling. I was thinking the dry air would zap out the moisture before it would hit the ground.

I'm quite positive PuyallupJon has checked out for the season. It'll take quite the snow storm at his place before this place sees the likes of him.