August 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Geos

As far as I've always been aware it does not.

Aerosols radiate too, throughout the IR spectrum. If you have an atmosphere thick with them, the rate of radiative loss from the surface is reduced.

Aerosols radiate too. If you have an atmosphere thick with them, the rate of radiative loss from the surface is reduced.

Is that why SO2 from volcanic eruptions is such an effective greenhouse gas? :)

I'm sure it all exists along a continuum, but for all practical purposes the particles in smoke block incoming radiation moreso than they inhibit outgoing. Especially compared to say, clouds.

Sort of ironic coming from a guy who probably complains about heat ten times more than I do. ;)

Touché.

• Like 1

Is that why SiO2 from volcanic eruptions is such an effective greenhouse gas? :)

I'm sure it all exists along a continuum, but for all practical purposes the particles in smoke block incoming radiation moreso than they inhibit outgoing. Especially compared to say, clouds.

SO^2 does act like a GHG in the stratosphere. It warms that domain significantly despite destroying O^3 via accelerated photodissociation.

Stratospherictemp_1958-2012_radiosondes.

However, its re-radiative and reflective properties in conjunction with the curvature of the Earth leads to a cooling in the troposphere.

• Like 1

The daytime cooling effects of tropospheric aerosols are greater than their warming effects. That doesn't mean they don't stunt radiational cooling as well, though. :)

SO^2 does act like a GHG in the stratosphere. It warms that domain significantly despite destroying O^3 via accelerated photodissociation.

Stratospherictemp_1958-2012_radiosondes.

However, its re-radiative and reflective properties in conjunction with the curvature of the Earth leads to a cooling in the troposphere.

Fine. Sounds like we are both right, in a way. The radiational cooling inhibition prowess of the water vapor clouds we are all used to far exceed that of smoke, though. I don't think you can argue with that.

The smoke is a dream scenario for Jesse. It diminishes solar radiation but doesn't inhibit radiational cooling.

Asthmatics can suck it.

I have noticed an increase in booger production today.  Fortunately for me, boogers are delicious. 

• Like 1

Fine. Sounds like we are both right, in a way. The radiational cooling inhibition prowess of the water vapor clouds we are all used to far exceed that of smoke, though. I don't think you can argue with that.

Yeah, H^2O is significantly more effective as a GHG. Then again, clouds come into the picture since they arise via H^2O.

It's still the most prolific GHG, though.

• Like 1

The daytime cooling effects of tropospheric aerosols are greater than their warming effects. That doesn't mean they don't stunt radiational cooling as well, though. :)

Well of course. Just look at terrestrial planets with no atmosphere, like Mars. Extreme daytime heating AND radiational cooling!!

Having anything between the radiative body and the heat source, including smoke, is obviously going to affect both incoming and outgoing. The degree which smoke inhibits solar warming versus how effectively it holds heat in is less than many things that occur in our day to day weather, though (again, clouds).

• Like 1

The smoke has dispersed a little around Victoria but it seems more like it dispersed through different levels of the atmosphere and there's more near the surface. Definitely more sun getting through late day today and a few parts of city were over 90F. Still 87F here at 7pm, I've got a feeling tonight is going to be a warm one, also a touch humid.

Is anyone going to get free windows? Sunday looks dangerously close to surpassing the 89F mark down there, these guys sure picked the wrong year http://cliffmass.blogspot.ca/2017/07/will-you-get-free-windows-on-august-6.html, must be sweating bullets hoping for a marine push or smoke inhibition.

The smoke has dispersed a little around Victoria but it seems more like it dispersed through different levels of the atmosphere and there's more near the surface. Definitely more sun getting through late day today and a few parts of city were over 90F. Still 87F here at 7pm, I've got a feeling tonight is going to be a warm one, also a touch humid.

Is anyone going to get free windows? Sunday looks dangerously close to surpassing the 89F mark down there, these guys sure picked the wrong year http://cliffmass.blogspot.ca/2017/07/will-you-get-free-windows-on-august-6.html, must be sweating bullets hoping for a marine push or smoke inhibition.

93F here today. Can barely see the hills across the lake for all the smoke.

97 in Bend today. May be able to dodge 100 after all

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

93F here today. Can barely see the hills across the lake for all the smoke.

I can't see so much as a hint of the Olympic Mountains across the Juan de Fuca. The latest satellite shows the smoke blasting against them mostly getting funneled up the Juan de Fuca. The valley up there must be catching some of the incoming smoke. Looks a little better up toward Sproat Lake, but that may not last much longer.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OREGON

533 PM PDT WED AUG 2 2017

...MULTIPLE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES SET WEDNESDAY AUGUST 2 2017...

LOCATION NEW OLD / YEAR

ASTORIA 93 88 / 1939

HILLSBORO 105 99 / 1939

MCMINNVILLE 106 99 / 1939

PORTLAND AIRPORT 103 96 / 1986

PORTLAND DOWNTOWN 100 100 / 1939

EUGENE 102 99 / 1939

SALEM 107 102 / 1939

TROUTDALE 105 99 / 1993

HOOD RIVER 99 97 / 1952

Surprising 7 degree spread between downtown Portland and Salem today. I'm reminded of July 23, 1927, which I brought up yesterday to highlight Salem's suspicious record highs. I was willing to dismiss Salem's 108 degree reading that day because downtown Portland was only 101. Well, here we are today...apparently a 7 degree gap is possible under the right circumstances. On 7/23/1927, Bull Run Headworks was 106 and Forest Grove was 103...similar profile to today, with warmer readings to the east and west of Portland proper, as well as south.

• Like 1

Nasty air quality this evening. Hasn't gotten any better. Most stations above 155.

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/enviwa/

Wow, Puyallup coming in at 215 right now.

Port Angeles at 254

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

You are lucky to be leaving town soon. Montana and points east look much nicer the next several days.

Definitely cleaner and cooler.   Also very wet.  

I would love some sunshine and upper 70s and low 80s there but that appears to be quite optimistic.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Kelowna looks to threaten their record dry streak. Their current record is from 2003, the year of the Okanagan firestorm.

If it wasn't for 0.02" on June 28th, that record would be in the bag.

The 0z GFS and GEM continue the heat until at least late next week. Probably means more offshore flow and smoke. Even in the longer range when the GFS has it cooling off it still flirts with bouts of offshore flow. We need a good drenching right now to clear the air.