-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

How do you guys feel when you're cheering for snow and other people who aren't meteorologists/weather enthusiasts say "so you want people to die?". I've run into a few of these people the last few winters and of course I don't want anyone to get hurt, I just want to watch the weather do "weather things". I'm a sucker for crazy weather. I'm fortunate enough to have positive associations with snow and I understand that others don't, and there is a layer of privilege to unpack there. But it's not just me, I see mets get blasted on Twitter for getting enthusiastic about winter weather when they don't mean harm.

It's why I can't ever root for an ice storm cause the insane amount of injuries and damage from that ain't ever compared to a 10" PNW lowlands snowstorm. But very deep down, I appreciate how pretty ice makes everything. 

• Like 3

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

12 minutes ago, JSnowlin said:

Yikes (if true)

Most temps around West Seattle are low/mid 30's 

Screenshot_20221219_233324_Twitter.jpg

West Seattle is uniformly 33/32 right now..

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

Temperatures:

Up to 22.8 now so the warmup has begun. Still moderate snow. 
Started my deck pile that can hopefully hang on until Christmas! Just over 3” now so far on the evening. 

1D419167-0B3C-4511-B81A-AFE5ADB18483.jpeg

3A98030C-D8E8-4B65-87D0-36D3AF1CE3EB.jpeg

01744EB4-4A76-4BEC-9F0B-9942BE0D05B5.jpeg

AB110DA7-6DAD-40A2-B544-711E51FBE21A.jpeg

• Like 7

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, HuskyMaestro said:

How do you guys feel when you're cheering for snow and other people who aren't meteorologists/weather enthusiasts say "so you want people to die?". I've run into a few of these people the last few winters and of course I don't want anyone to get hurt, I just want to watch the weather do "weather things". I'm a sucker for crazy weather. I'm fortunate enough to have positive associations with snow and I understand that others don't, and there is a layer of privilege to unpack there. But it's not just me, I see mets get blasted on Twitter for getting enthusiastic about winter weather when they don't mean harm.

It's why I can't ever root for an ice storm cause the insane amount of injuries and damage from that ain't ever compared to a 10" PNW lowlands snowstorm. But very deep down, I appreciate how pretty ice makes everything. 

Screw 'em.

• Like 7

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

Just now, TacomaWx said:

Looks like it. Have been using weather bugs radar this evening 

Ya, I have been on stream with my wifey tonight and keep checking radar and it kept showing no moisture, didn't even think to just go look out the window.  Although I am sure there is nothing  to see lol

6 minutes ago, HuskyMaestro said:

Even crazy weather nuts on here call me crazy when I talk about how much I love windstorms! I love all extreme weather! Like Meaty says, screw them! A good friend of mine nearly died in a big June marine push that dropped a tree on her truck, luckily it hit the back part of the truck, split second difference and she would have been toast. You just never know, but it doesn’t prevent me from loving every second of it. Hell I even like a bigly AR! 

Temp up to 23.0. It’s over. 

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

9 minutes ago, HuskyMaestro said:

If someone responded to my excitement with “so you want people to die?” I’d probably just respond “nah, just you.”

• Like 2
  • lol 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Just now, MossMan said:

Even crazy weather nuts on here call me crazy when I talk about how much I love windstorms! I love all extreme weather! Like Meaty says, screw them! A good friend of mine nearly died in a big June marine push that dropped a tree on her truck, luckily it hit the back part of the truck, split second difference and she would have been toast. You just never know, but it doesn’t prevent me from loving every second of it. Hell I even like a bigly AR! 

Temp up to 23.0. It’s over. 

And I hope it doesn't prevent her from loving it!

Hell, if that happened to me, my dumbass would be even more enthralled by windstorms.. 😆

• Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

And I hope it doesn't prevent her from loving it!

Hell, if that happened to me, my dumbass would be even more enthralled by windstorms.. 😆

She will no longer drive that stretch of road during windstorms but otherwise she doesn’t seem to mind them lol! 

• Like 1

It’s important to remember this is not a normal overrunning event where warm air is moving in and you’re just hoping to hold onto the cold as long as possible. If that were the case turning to sleet now would be a bad sign. With this storm the rain/snow line will be moving around as the low moves In and end up moving back down South tomorrow no matter what as the modified arctic front moves back through. Complicated situation.

• Like 4

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

She will no longer drive that stretch of road during windstorms but otherwise she doesn’t seem to mind them lol! 

That's a fair assessment and reaction

The Columbus day windstorm destroyed countless acres of Olympic ntl Forest. Jan 1880 caved in innumerable numbers of homes. Sept 2019 was one of the most dangerous lightning events in Seattle history. Nov 2006 is a Wikipedia article in of its own of impactful weather hazards.

Anything at anytime could do us in. Even a rotting tree in benign weather at the wrong place and wrong time could do any one of us in while driving or walking or whatever. An undetected aneurysm could end us unannounced at any age, even me at 21. Hell, for this forum's common age and gender group, our own selves are the largest risk we pose to our health and safety. It's important we are kind to ourselves and enjoy what little we can in our increasingly bleak world. It is not our fault extreme weather exists. Even if we cheer it on, we legitimately have no say in it. Let's just try and be happy, as long as we are cautious and courteous and don't harm others.

• Like 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

9 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

If someone responded to my excitement with “so you want people to die?” I’d probably just respond “nah, just you.”

I remember asking my aunt "has it ever snowed in the Philippines?" and she replied "are you asking people here to die?"

I was like what the ****? That's literally a whole new topic 😂 I don't get the sudden defensiveness with it comes to snow even around the PNW but eh screw them. 

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

1 minute ago, HuskyMaestro said:

I remember asking my aunt "has it ever snowed in the Philippines?" and she replied "are you asking people here to die?"

I was like what the ****? That's literally a whole new topic 😂 I don't get the sudden defensiveness with it comes to snow even around the PNW but eh screw them. 

yeah for real people are so different even though we're the same species it's insane.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HuskyMaestro said:

I get it when it comes to, say, rooting for a Cat 5 hurricane to hit somewhere populated. But saying that because you want it to snow here is, uh, yeah that's a stretch...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

It’s important to remember this is not a normal overrunning event where warm air is moving in and you’re just hoping to hold onto the cold as long as possible. If that were the case turning to sleet now would be a bad sign. With this storm the rain/snow line will be moving around as the low moves In and end up moving back down South tomorrow no matter what as the modified arctic front moves back through. Complicated situation.

Exactly! This is not over folks! Plus we should get some snow into tomorrow evening as well with the modified arctic front moving south along with convergence setups, right? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

The Columbus day windstorm destroyed countless acres of Olympic ntl Forest. Jan 1880 caved in innumerable numbers of homes. Sept 2019 was one of the most dangerous lightning events in Seattle history. Nov 2006 is a Wikipedia article in of its own of impactful weather hazards.

Anything at anytime could do us in. Even a rotting tree in benign weather at the wrong place and wrong time could do any one of us in while driving or walking or whatever. An undetected aneurysm could end us unannounced at any age, even me at 21. Hell, for this forum's common age and gender group, our own selves are the largest risk we pose to our health and safety. It's important we are kind to ourselves and enjoy what little we can in our increasingly bleak world. It is not our fault extreme weather exists. Even if we cheer it on, we legitimately have no say in it. Let's just try and be happy, as long as we are cautious and courteous and don't harm others.

Compared to snow, it's also with hurricanes and typhoons and why I got into weather in the first place. You're literally watching history unfold with Category 5 hurricanes and super typhoons. Watching those buzzsaws tear through open water while watching the super cold cloud tops of the eye wall spin around is insanely mesmerizing. Like d*** right I'm going to be hyped about that. 

• Like 2

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

21 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Screw 'em.

Sounds like they're making a strawman argument, I think that's the term?

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

5 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I could have had a heart attack shoveling my deck just now, or my plow could malfunction and explode tomorrow morning when I get it out of the garage…You just never know. Not going to slow me down for one second when it comes to enjoying extreme weather! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Sounds like they're making a strawman argument, I think that's the term?

Yep, the exact definition!

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

I could have had a heart attack shoveling my deck just now, or my plow could malfunction and explode tomorrow morning when I get it out of the garage…You just never know. Not going to slow me down for one second when it comes to enjoying extreme weather! 

Yep. And it all comes with the common understanding that one of these very conifers could send me a rogue branch, or even its own very trunk, with my name on it. And there are multiple around my house that I worry about. That is the trade off that I live with.

And because I am a weather nut, I am very likely to visit places during extreme weather that present extreme dangers to myself; mountain peaks, forested coastlines with few beach escape routes, glaciers, ect. All completely worth it to me.

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall: