December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

I feel like what the 18z GFS ensemble shows is almost exactly the progression that Phil has been describing for weeks now. The GFS show that the block builds a little further to west over Christmas week then everything retrogrades once again with finally the PNW getting hit with some real cold around the 28th-30th.

It's really been quite the slow process but it really does look like things are getting close! I'm still really quite amazed that I we look to hold onto this blocking pattern for at least another ~4 weeks.

Here is the 48 hour trend.  48 hours ago the GFS ensemble had the ridge parked right over us.  

trend.png

• Like 4

Wow...the Euro weeklies look incredible. 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Here is the control run for New Years Eve... The mean is also very cold beginning around the 28th.

http://models.weatherbell.com/eps/2017121100/noram/eps_m_z500a_c_noram_43.png

• Like 6

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

And the mean on the same date...

http://models.weatherbell.com/eps/2017121100/noram/eps_m_z500a_noram_43.png

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Weeks 1-6 on the latest EPS weeklies.

Huge flip right around New Years. Solid retrogression signal there, though hopefully we can break down the stratospheric PV and avoid a +EPO.

EZ3S4zT.png

mUYoUKV.png

QMOIU0Z.png

VsNJn3T.png

fYOCvs3.png

VmQzFwS.png

• Like 4

What "phases" are those?

I think of phases 2-3 as IO, and 4-7 as Indo-Pacific, but it’s kinda debatable.

I feel like what the 18z GFS ensemble shows is almost exactly the progression that Phil has been describing for weeks now. The GFS show that the block builds a little further to west over Christmas week then everything retrogrades once again with finally the PNW getting hit with some real cold around the 28th-30th.

It's been quite the slow process but it really does look like things are getting close! I'm still really quite amazed that we look to hold onto this blocking pattern for at least another ~4 weeks.

To be fair, he's hardly been the only one saying for weeks that the action probably won't start until late December at the earliest.

A forum for the end of the world.

My. Agung is starting to get interesting. I think it’s now erupted 17 times over the last week, with the eruptions progressively intensifying along with a continued “swelling” of the south face of the mountain.

This is (presumably) similar to what happened during the 1843 eruption which started with smallish eruptions and continued for about a month until it produced a VEI5 blast.

The 1963 eruption also started small, but it was also a bit different in that before it became explosive (VEI4) it produced a lava flow that traveled 7km down the face of the mountain over a 4 week period, then went explosive in the following months.

That's an ominous sign that gases are building up inside. They could all be released in one large eruption. Sounds like this volcano is just warming up for its next act.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

To be fair, he's hardly been the only one saying for weeks that the action probably won't start until late December.

This is true but Phil has held steadfast on the pattern progression (ridge to discontinuous retrogression) for quite sometime now. Who else has said a blocking pattern would hold itself for possibly 6+ weeks in the PNW? 

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

It just keeps getting pushed back a day at a time...

No, it doesn’t.

Unless you were expecting a blast by Christmas (which was always fairly unlikely in my opinion), I think the progression is going as anticipated. At least for the time being.

This is true but Phil has held steadfast on the pattern progression (ridge to discontinuous retrogression) for quite sometime now. Who else has said a blocking pattern would hold itself for possibly 6+ weeks in the PNW?

Thank you (knocks on wood]. I’m trying very hard to get this one right, haha.

Hopefully Mother Nature doesn’t fumble it at the end zone this time. The pieces are all present and in place.

• Like 2

Some big time ensemble spread there. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Many of the primary analogs discussed had a lengthy +PNA stretch in the late Nov - mid December period. What defines a "blocking pattern" in the PNW? A ridge over or near the PNW? And if the pattern is discontinuous retrogression, wouldn't that allow for the blocking to breakdown at times?

Many of the primary analogs discussed had a lengthy +PNA stretch in the late Nov - mid December period. What defines a "blocking pattern" in the PNW? A ridge over or near the PNW? And if the pattern is discontinuous retrogression, wouldn't that allow for the blocking to breakdown at times?

You've done a super job too! I've sent around a hallmark card for everyone to sign and express their appreciation of your stable of analogs. Keep checking the mail!

• Like 5

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

18z GFS ensemble is actually pretty good FWIW. Block is a tad too close to the coast but still quite chilly with a strong Northerly flow. Very amplified pattern in the long term. 

gfs_ens_z500a_namer_48.png

Not too bad and if it tilts ---> We'll be good. Southeast US ridge is pretty nice too. Ensembles for Yakima shows a chilly air mass and possibly modified arctic air which will likely be pulled westward via Gorge into PDX.

• Like 2

Not too bad and if it tilts ---> We'll be good. Southeast US ridge is pretty nice too. Ensembles for Yakima shows a chilly air mass and possibly modified arctic air which will likely be pulled westward via Gorge into PDX.

Yeah, that's another big change in the ensembles over the past day or so.

• Like 1

:rolleyes:

Here is the 48 hour trend.  48 hours ago the GFS ensemble had the ridge parked right over us.  

attachicon.giftrend.png

Definitely some positive progress there. 

We need it to tilt toward the Yukon a bit more.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

:rolleyes:

We're in this one together, my friend. In sync on the general pattern progression, and have been since some point in November (we both know that isn't always the case). If this winter doesn't deliver by January, we both go down with the ship. And nothing past mid December has verified yet.  ;)

I'm just trying to figure out what Kayla meant by "a blocking pattern holding itself for 6+ weeks in the PNW"? Persistent +PNA transitioning to -PNA sometime after Christmas...discontinuous retrogression of west coast ridge....many times the things discussed on here come down to different terminology, ultimately leading to similar outcomes.

• Like 1

December 2011 would also fit the bill.

I believe that ridge was significantly cooler at the surface in many areas.

SEA, for example, didn't see a high above 43 from the 1-14th. This month, almost every high at SEA has been warmer than that, with a couple in the 50s.

Same holds true for PDX. In Dec 2011, no highs above 44 from the 1-15th. This month has seen 4 highs in the 50s and every day until today has been 45+. Also looks like there was more low clouds/fog in 2011.

So while there are some similarities, I'd say that ridge was easily more inversiony at the surface than this one.