2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Interesting article about Carr Fire "Firenado":

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article222687285.html

Shower activity picked up here in late afternoon as east wind finally was conquered and now the low-level flow is southerly, making for a bit of orographic enhancement. 0.40" accumulation so far.

My global climate Professor has probably mentioned the California “firenado” as a completely new weather phenomenon and a slam dunk result of climate change about 20 times this semester. Seems a little sensationalistic.

Not to downplay how terrible the Carr Fire was in terms of human suffering, but I’d imagine that sort of weather phenomena can and has occurred in large wildfires throughout all of history if the right conditions were present. Makes for great doomsday imagery though!

• Like 2

Not all Republicans think climate change is a hoax, but the Democrats use it as propaganda to scare people and make themselves look good. With the last couple of years we've had, there is definitely some climate change, but whether or not it's as horrible as they say remains to be seen. The media always likes to exaggerate things to scare people. Remember when they thought Y2K would be a horrible disaster?

If people are so worried about climate change, stop driving those massive SUVs to work.

Anyway, I don't want to put too much political stuff in here.

It has sure been a crazy day, and they only have rainfall totals as of 9:40 AM.

• Like 1

Things are back to normal here with the sun shining and absolutely nothing going on in the California thread. We gotta invite some people here from the weatherwest before California goes completely dead here.

I have noticed there are no updates to the weatherwest site either with the last post there still about the Camp Fire. Not even these storms could get the blog author to post a new article.

Why doesn't Dan the Weatherman have anything to say about the storm?

I have been posting quite a bit on Weather West (using the same handle and avatar), but have forgotten to post here as of late. I need to remember to post here every now and then. It is pretty easy to copy comments from one forum to another, and that would be an easy way for me to post in both places.

Anyway, this last storm provided a very good soaking in Socal and I picked up 2.47" here in Orange. The ground is still quite wet here in my yard as of today from this storm.

I hope we get at least a couple more storms before this month is over. So far this fall has been so much better than last fall, which was almost a complete shutout as far as rain goes here in my area.

Things are back to normal here with the sun shining and absolutely nothing going on in the California thread. We gotta invite some people here from the weatherwest before California goes completely dead here.

I have noticed there are no updates to the weatherwest site either with the last post there still about the Camp Fire. Not even these storms could get the blog author to post a new article.

I believe the moderator of Weather West has had a busier schedule lately and hasn't had as much free time to post as many updates.

By the way, do you ever post over on Weather West or just on this blog?

Today is the last day of our 4:42 PM sunsets. In the last 2 weeks, sunset has not changed much at all, but it will be advancing forward a little more quickly now. On November 27, which was the first day of the sun setting at 4:42 PM, sunrise was at 6:33 AM and solar noon was at 11:38 AM. Today sunrise is at 6:45 AM and solar noon is at 11:44 AM.

Sunset Cross Off 2018.png

There is much more sunshine today with only a few low clouds.

Weather looking bland for a while....

Bland if you're waiting for storms and other exciting weather, but today was a spectacular day with clear skies, warm sunshine, and temperatures in the low-mid 70s.

I'm off between Christmas and New Year's Day, so hoping for some more nice weather, and then hopefully we can get back into a wet pattern again in January.

Bland if you're waiting for storms and other exciting weather, but today was a spectacular day with clear skies, warm sunshine, and temperatures in the low-mid 70s.

I'm off between Christmas and New Year's Day, so hoping for some more nice weather, and then hopefully we can get back into a wet pattern again in January.

You guys have a storm on the way tomorrow....

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

"Storm?"  No "storm" here, unless you mean Eureka or something.  The vast majority of posters in the California subforum (like, all both of us) are in SoCal.  There's a 20% chance of showers on Monday.  That hardly counts as a "storm," although the way things have gone overall the last few years, beggars can't be choosers.

Yeah, I was thinking Bay Area north. 

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

"Storm?"  No "storm" here, unless you mean Eureka or something.  The vast majority of posters in the California subforum (like, all both of us) are in SoCal.  There's a 20% chance of showers on Monday.  That hardly counts as a "storm," although the way things have gone overall the last few years, beggars can't be choosers.

I find it hard to get excited for a measly 20% chance of rain here in Orange, especially during our rainy season. Most of the time when there is a 20% chance, it doesn't even rain anyway. Only during the summer monsoon season do I get in any way excited about a 20% chance of rain.

Lake Forest sunset tonight is about the same as one month ago (within a few seconds), but the sunrise is about 23 minutes later. On the solstice, sunset and sunrise will both be about one half minute later than on the previous day, pretty much anywhere south of the Arctic Circle.

Saddleback Mountain was noticeably lighter today at 4:45 PM than in early December.

Nice day today, but the afternoon cooled down quickly.

The Winter Solstice (2:23 PM PST on 12/21/2018) is nearing, with a maximum solar declination of around 23.43562 S. Not much change in the declination left at all, and that's why it translates to "the sun stands still".

Also notice the second component of the analemma (Equation of Time) is changing about as fast as it does any time of the year, so despite the least daylight tomorrow, we have the longest solar days of the year now.

Time and Date: 12/20/2018 5:38:03 PM

Solar Declination: 23.43269 S

Equation of Time: 2.15

Minutes for Solar Declination to change by .01: 2123.06

Minutes for Equation of Time to change by .01: 29.09

The Winter Solstice (2:23 PM PST on 12/21/2018) is nearing, with a maximum solar declination of around 23.43562 S. Not much change in the declination left at all, and that's why it translates to "the sun stands still".

Also notice the second component of the analemma (Equation of Time) is changing about as fast as it does any time of the year, so despite the least daylight tomorrow, we have the longest solar days of the year now.

Time and Date: 12/20/2018 5:38:03 PM

Solar Declination: 23.43269 S

Equation of Time: 2.15

Minutes for Solar Declination to change by .01: 2123.06

Minutes for Equation of Time to change by .01: 29.09

Was just looking at Mexico City sunrise and sunset times... they actual peak at a sun angle of 90 degrees on May 17th and then it declines a little in June... and then peaks at 90 degrees again on July 25th.

I assume that between May 17th - July 25th... the sun is technically in the northern sky in the middle of the day.  Although it probably appears straight overhead.

Keep going south... and Bogota Columbia has a peak sun angle of 90 degrees on April 1st and September 10th.   And reaches a low of 71.2 degrees on the summer solstice.   That would be so confusing!    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**