February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

The control model on the 18z GEFS is pretty wild.  850s around -15 for a sustained period of time.  The mean is 7C below normal with the big cold wave now.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This the catalyst we have needed all winter to really make things happen. I am pumped more than ever!! :)

I'm glad you are on board.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Move.

I have epilepsy and this is where my caretaker lives. I'm stuck. I realize it's a shi++y location but even by these lousy standards it's still surprising to me how less common Arctic events impact this region even as opposed to the 90s. I feel like it's way less frequent.

It is at least nice to see the potential for several nights of freezing temps that aren't under a fake cold though. It will be welcome since the insects are already bad. Flies and ants getting in the house like crazy. A good freeze could also kill some of those over-wintering wasp/hornet queens too.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The NWS has whittled the number of 50+ days this week to 2 now.  I knew they were way too warm for most days.  They also have snow showers for Sunday.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The NWS has whittled the number of 50+ days this week to 2 now. I knew they were way too warm for most days. They also have snow showers for Sunday.

You have access to the full detail of the best weather model in the world... make your own forecast! I think this concern stems from wanting the public to panic. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

If this one fades away this place will be like Pompeii buried under 50 feet of murky disappointment.  A truly cruel joke to be sure.  Showing so much promise at the very end of our winter only to crush us once again.  I refuse to get hopeful.  We are 6 days from this happening.  SSW or not, this thing will likely end up a burp in a hurricane of hope.  

• Like 2

The NWS has whittled the number of 50+ days this week to 2 now. I knew they were way too warm for most days. They also have snow showers for Sunday.

They've been used to the broken record of the models taking it away as we appoach the dates in question. Doesn't appear that will happen this time at least PDX north.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

If this one fades away this place will be like Pompeii buried under 50 feet of murky disappointment.  A truly cruel joke to be sure.  Showing so much promise at the very end of our winter only to crush us once again.  I refuse to get hopeful.  We are 6 days from this happening.  SSW or not, this thing will likely end up a burp in a hurricane of hope.  

It would be the biggest model bust since Jan 2005 if it fails.  EVERYTHING including the CFS is on board.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I cannot envision a way for this to totally fall apart... everything is so rock solid and now in the mid range.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I cannot envision a way for this to totally fall apart... everything is so rock solid and now in the mid range.

Besides that the way it's acting now kind of suggests better things to come.  Tonight will be our second push of Canadian air in just a couple days time.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

i never thought I’d see you beating the drumb this far out from an event. Keep it going Tim. I hope you and Jim are both right this time!

Its not that far out now.  

I don’t think the TV weather people trust the models much.

The low of 40 on Tuesday is just plain laughable.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The low of 40 on Tuesday is just plain laughable.

Actually... the ECMWF shows some good southerly flow on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and a low in the upper 30s.   There could easily be a low of 40.   Certainly not laughable.  

I am fairly certain those forecasts read from left to right chronologically (to keep it simple for the average folks) which means it shows 49 on Tuesday and 40 that night.    That is not technically correct of course because the official low on Tuesday will be much lower than 40 but that is represented on the Monday night low.  

2/11/18 6:16 PM IR Loop update

I'm not saying that it's going to happen, but it sure looks like we may be going straight into a cold, arctic pattern sooner than modeled.

• Like 2

Portland NWS highs of 50-55 next Sunday may be a little warm though...

Going for a low of 22 at EUG tomorrow night and 25 at SLE.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2/11/18 6:16 PM IR Loop update
I'm not saying that it's going to happen, but it sure looks like we may be going straight into a cold, arctic pattern sooner than modeled.

A lot of cold air up there

Forecasting snow in the Pac NW is not easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM0Jynoflzo

Looking at that satellite pic I would say it was a repeat of last year when everything trended south leaving us up here dry and cold. Oh and I would love snow tornado’s!!
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

00Z NAM looks a tad warmer, dryer than the 18Z.  Not too bad overall: looks like pretty widespread area of snow over the Vancouver area through north of Seattle until around 12Z Wednesday.   

Temperatures are looking very marginal, so will see how widespread this event is.  Hoping for lots but expecting little.  

00Z NAM looks a tad warmer, dryer than the 18Z. Not too bad overall: looks like pretty widespread area of snow over the Vancouver area through north of Seattle until around 12Z Wednesday.

Temperatures are looking very marginal, so will see how widespread this event is. Hoping for lots but expecting little.

Snow will fall before 12z wed? That is before 9 am wed?

Forecasting snow in the Pac NW is not easy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM0Jynoflzo

That is actually hilarious.   You have to watch it all the way though.  

This reminds me of some people on here.   :lol:

Day 4 is so cold it can't snow.   So cold you will be begging for snow but no matter how much you beg it it won't come.  

al.png

Snow will fall before 12z wed? That is before 9 am wed?

Snow will begin slightly before 3 AM on Wednesday in higher areas of the county.  Surface temperatures are looking to be in the mid to upper 30s with 850s around -3C.  Snow levels do look to be lowering as cooler air floods behind the system and a few flurries continue to fall.  

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=nwus&pkg=ref_frzn&runtime=2018021200&fh=54

00z GFS Hmmm, HR 36 offshore ridge and Aleutian ridge a bit stronger, merging. Also, heights over BC suppressing southward bit quicker and that trend has continued past 6 runs now. Animated GIF shows this nicely.

https://imgur.com/vmP7m0P

gfs_z500a_namer_7.png

This gives a bit more weight to my suggestion that we may see the colder, arctic pattern arrive sooner than modeled right now.

• Like 1