February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

A couple pictures from one of the wineries in Ellensburg this afternoon... the contrast in dormancy over there is striking but the weather was gorgeous and warm.  

2_3_1.jpg

2_3_2.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Woah mama..850s approach -50C @ 132hrs over Quebec, with surface temperatures close to -70*F over Greenland.

10EZ5AG.jpg

aR1HZTn.jpg

• Like 1

Woah mama..850s approach -50C @ 132hrs over Quebec, with surface temperatures close to -70*F over Greenland.

10EZ5AG.jpg

aR1HZTn.jpg

Brrr...for them. 46 degree drizzle for us!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

What’s the big deal? That’s not on our side of the globe.

Weather happens everywhere. And perhaps most importantly, the weather that happens elsewhere can affect the weather in your backyard. ;)

The manifesting tracers suggest the NAM (AO) will tank during the third week of February, following the SSW.

I feel bad for the models right now. Going to be a brutal stretch for them.

A nippy 52 here this morning... woke up to rain pounding on the roof. 42 at the pass now with heavy rain. There was lots of ponding on the road up there last night. We also saw many roaring waterfalls of melting snow when we came through earlier in the daylight. That is common in April and May up there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Bleh.

Yeah... looks like the front range of Colorado in many ways.

I prefer the landscape on this side but like being able to get to reliable sunshine quickly over there.

The manifesting tracers suggest the NAM (AO) will tank during the third week of February, following the SSW.

I feel bad for the models right now. Going to be a brutal stretch for them.

this has been a brutal winter for the models as a whole not a good fall winter period by them by any stretch of the imagination that for sure.but if this ssw does varfi it maybe good in the longer term we need some sort of shake up in what has been a persistent regem since 2012 it like watching groundhogs day on a mean map lol for the past 6 years or so.

Nevermind...it’s dumping again.

Yeah... these warm fronts are interesting.   When the radar shows strong returns over me then visibility is improved and the wind is light but when it looks like the rain has moved out then it immediately turns into heavy, wind swept mist with very low visibility.   Take your pick... but the precip never stops here.

The Tiger Mountain traffic cam shows this well... there is nothing on the radar over this area right now.   This is the wind swept, heavy mist phase...

018vc02357.jpg

ATX_0.png

I dont like that area for 2 reasons. To windy and not many trees.

I agree on the wind... it seems like its always windy there.

It was quite windy yesterday right in town but it was basically calm south of town on our hike.    I think the wind is funneled right down I-90 like it does in offshore flow situations in North Bend... but if you get out of the funnel then its much more calm and the sunny weather is more enjoyable.  

The ECMWF shows basically the same pattern even 10 days out... major cold over the center of Canada while leaving us caught between the ridge to the south and the cold to the northeast in a perpetual warm front pattern.     Totally crap.   This pattern has been so hard to break.  

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

The ECMWF shows basically the same pattern even 10 days out... major cold over the center of Canada while leaving us caught between the ridge to the south and the cold to the northeast in a perpetual warm front pattern. Totally crap. This pattern has been so hard to break.

Seems to have been the theme of the past year. Persistent patterns that won't change.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Seems to have been the theme of the past year. Persistent patterns that won't change.

I know I will be accused of looking past some sort of improvement at 5 days... but its minor and really just provides a day or two break in the rain (if it even happens).   The real surprising thing to me is that this same ugly pattern pops right back up again and it seems almost inevitable based on how things have gone over the last month.  

The ECMWF shows basically the same pattern even 10 days out... major cold over the center of Canada while leaving us caught between the ridge to the south and the cold to the northeast in a perpetual warm front pattern. Totally crap. This pattern has been so hard to break.

I think the SSW will kill it off during the final 10 days of February. It’s common to get a tightening of the bottom half of the TPV before it self-destructs.

Globally, the storm track starts shifting equatorward during the third week of the month (on all guidance), with a retraction of the Hadley Cell networks starting around February 20th. While it will depend on the exact evolution of the SSW/tropics, this could actually be a bigger system wide shake up than 2013 was, based on the early evidence.

• Like 1

Same general brown landscape though... and there areas around there with more trees.

It is very brown around here during the fall/winter (when there is no snow). That's part of why spring is my favorite season here... everything finally turns green and the weather is the most active.

But with the Rockies basically right in our backyard and significantly more trees, I wouldn't say the landscape of the Front Range is all that similar to much of eastern WA. We go basically straight from the flatness of the Great plains to the mountains, not much I'm the way of rolling hills like you see around Ellensburg, etc.

A forum for the end of the world.

Yeah... these warm fronts are interesting. When the radar shows strong returns over me then visibility is improved and the wind is light but when it looks like the rain has moved out then it immediately turns into heavy, wind swept mist with very low visibility. Take your pick... but the precip never stops here.

The Tiger Mountain traffic cam shows this well... there is nothing on the radar over this area right now. This is the wind swept, heavy mist phase...

018vc02357.jpg

ATX_0.png

Looks like a more defined front is pushing through now. I bet the afternoon will be better most places.

A forum for the end of the world.

It is very brown around here during the fall/winter (when there is no snow). That's part of why spring is my favorite season here... everything finally turns green and the weather is the most active.

But with the Rockies basically right in our backyard and significantly more trees, I wouldn't say the landscape of the Front Range is all that similar to much of eastern WA. We go basically straight from the flatness of the Great plains to the mountains, not much I'm the way of rolling hills like you see around Ellensburg, etc.

The northern half of eastern wa reminds me most of Colorado

The northern half of eastern wa reminds me most of Colorado

What part of Colorado?

The eastern part of Colorado is completely flat and basically treeless... there is a small transition zone near the foothills and then its instantly the Rocky Mountains.