May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

The upper mountain lakes seem to be doing okay. It's just downstream where it gets really hot that it drops off. The water shouldn't be getting so warm to where the fish are so lethargic they don't go for anything.

Yeah there's a tight line between having the water warm enough that the trout bite like crazy to having it a tad too hot to the point trout just stop biting due to less dissolved oxygen in the water. I need to head up to Trillium lake again this summer. I've caught some lunkers there before.

Didn't realize how dead this page was in the spring. Can't wait til November again.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Turning into an undending nightmare. Reminds me a lot of some of the worse months of the 2014-16 period.

Yeah... it is sort of surprising. Even I would not complain about a good rain event once a week. Preferably not on a weekend though. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah... it is sort of surprising. Even I would not complain about a good rain event once a week. Preferably not on a weekend though. :)

I always like this time of year for how green everything is. Looks like we are going to blow right through that into early/mid summer conditions, though. Hopefully a wet June will save us.

I always like this time of year for how green everything is. Looks like we are going to blow right through that into early/mid summer conditions, though. Hopefully a wet June will save us.

A wet June seems more likely given how this month is playing out. I expected a warm and dry May after April... but not this warm and dry.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A wet June seems more likely given how this month is playing out. I expected a warm and dry May after April... but not this warm and dry.

A lot of the record warm and dry Mays that were like this one went straight into hot summers. 1958, 1992, etc...

As it stands this will make those Mays look cool. A May warmer than an average June is looking possible down here, which is pretty much unheard of.

I was amazed at the trees at Snoqualmie Pass when we went through yesterday. They were all leafed out despite piles of snow everywhere.

Pretty incredible that they can be buried in 10 feet of snow all winter and into spring and still be fully green and leafed out by May 12th.

Probably happens every year... but it's an interesting phenomenon nonetheless.

I was amazed at the trees at Snoqualmie Pass when we went through yesterday. They were all leafed out despite piles of snow everywhere.

Pretty incredible that they can be buried in 10 feet of snow all winter and into spring and still be fully green and leafed out by May 12th.

Are you planning on taking the ferry up the lake while in Chelan? Would highly recommend it.

Are you planning on taking the ferry up the lake while in Chelan? Would highly recommend it.

Not enough time.   My parents are doing that on Tuesday though.

That 1947 analog is interesting. The US also had a frigid spring that year, and all available evidence points towards a Feb SSW as the culprit (which 2018 also had).

WizFAkS.png

It was also the peak of the previous global warming cycle, which produced some very warm years throughout the early/middle 1940s, relative to the previous 30yrs. It was also a +PDO/+NAO era, albeit the very end of it.

• Like 1

Maybe this summer is blowing its load early. Given how torchy this month has been across the country, it seems like it would be hard pressed to continue for months on end.

We’ve already had 4 days above 90*F, with more in the pipeline. I don’t know how the stats work in the PNW, but looking back at our warmest Mays, they either lead to blowtorch summers, or troughy summers. Not much middle ground at all.

• Like 1

The only thing that seems to be clear at this point after looking at this morning's models is that there will be some sort of shake up in the upper latitudes, like Phil has been saying.  How will that affect our region, though?  GFS seems to want to hold on to a broad western ridge that allows some energy to slip through to our south into California.  Euro shows that energy sliding in a little further to the north, with more in western Alaska possibly poised to enter into the picture if you could extrapolate out past hour 240 to the next frame or two...

• Like 1

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

BTW Tim, it’s been in the 60s and foggy/misting all day here, and I’m loving every second of it.

Soooo much better than 90s with blasting sunshine. Oh, and my neighbor walking his dog agrees. So popular opinion agrees with me too!

BTW Tim, it’s been in the 60s and foggy/misting all day here, and I’m loving every second of it.

Soooo much better than 90s with blasting sunshine. Oh, and my neighbor walking his dog agrees. So popular opinion agrees with me too!

Yeah... your choices are always between two crappy extremes.

You have the hot extreme all the time so any break is appreciated. We have gloomy weather for a good part of the year so sunny and warm weather is appreciated. Not hard to understand.

Yeah... your choices are always between two crappy extremes.

You have the hot extreme all the time so any break is appreciated. We have gloomy weather for a good part of the year so sunny and warm weather is appreciated. Not hard to understand.

But you said you would actually prefer 90s and sunshine to 60s and drizzle, if those were your only options. The question is homogenous.

Just saying. :)

But you said you would actually prefer 90s and sunshine to 60s and drizzle, if those were your only options. The question is homogenous.

Just saying. :)

Good Lord.

Yes... during the summer I want to see something totally different than our normal weather. 50s and drizzle is very common here.

If it was normally 95 and humid here for 6 months then I would love a drizzly day now and then. I loved a cool and cloudy day at our inland southern California home where it was 100 degrees all summer normally.

85 in Monmouth. Widespread mid 80s and some upper 80s throughout the valley. Beautiful day.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Still not leafed out here yet. Just starting to bud out though.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Straight from winter to summer up there!

Up to 82 here. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Drought monitor. Best structural match is actually 2012.

Now:

2012:

That summer was a son of a gun in the Midwest. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"