May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Just 77 three miles away at KVUO.

TTD hit 79 though. There might have been a little bit of offshore flow ahead of the marine push that legitimately bumped them there. Still, warmest official temp in western Oregon/Washington aside from Medford.

Their lows are ridiculously high, too.

This moisture plume at the latitude of Hawaii has been there for most of the last 3 months.   At least since I started tracking it in early February before our trip to Hawaii.   Its been really unusual.    It appears to be equatorial tropical moisture displaced far to the north of its normal location.    Hawaii is normally sunny except for windward clouds.   But its been much cloudier and wetter than usual across all of the islands.    Just wondering if Phil can offer some insight.    

I am really surprised to see it still going in May.   

hawaii.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The lows are a joke, moreso than the highs.

You could theoretically go park your car as close to the runway as you can get at around 5 a.m. and take the temperature with an accurate thermometer to see how close it is to the PDX reading.

Like right here... off Marine Drive.   Just to the north of the runway.  

pdx.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You could theoretically go park your car as close to the runway as you can get at around 5 a.m. and take the temperature with an accurate thermometer to see how close it is to the PDX reading.

Like right here... off Marine Drive.   Just to the north of the runway.  

I don't think the sensor itself is bad or inaccurate. Land use changes have made this spot much worse at radiational cooling than it was historically, though. And not very representative of the area unless you live in the middle of a very large parking lot.

I don't think the sensor is bad or inaccurate. Land use changes have made this spot much worse at radiational cooling than it was historically, though. And not very representative of the area unless you live in the middle of a very large parking lot.

Interestingly... there are golf courses to the west and southwest of PDX which probably keeps it greener at least on that side in the summer than other areas.    Better than massive parking lots.    :)

pdx2.png

Interestingly... there are golf courses to the west and southwest of PDX which probably keeps it greener at least on that side in the summer than other areas.    Better than massive parking lots.    :)

There is a lot more pavement around the area than there was even 10-15 years ago. 

Look at Oregon hogging most the Columbia.

When you zoom out... the area around PDX is a lot less built up than much of the rest of Portland.

pdx3.png

When you zoom out... the area around PDX is a lot less built up than much of the rest of Portland.

Most of the rest of Portland has more trees.

Also, if you look at past maps, you can see the dramatic land use changes at PDX in recent decades.

But Jesse is right. Lots of development along airport way over the past 10-15 years. IKEA, multiple hotels, and other big box stores.

Much more development than what I always talk about around the Salem airport, and that has caused a obvious UHI.

Just not quite as significant at pdx because it was always part of the UHI, it’s just gotten more pronounced.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Hey Phil... you don't need A/C that much compared to other areas of the country.   :)

http://www.weathernationtv.com/app/uploads/2018/05/HDD_CDD_map_Pair_620.png

Hey Phil... you don't need A/C that much compared to other areas of the country. :)

http://www.weathernationtv.com/app/uploads/2018/05/HDD_CDD_map_Pair_620.png

Hmm...my box contains three different climate zones, with a temperature range of at least 10*F. Will require mental gymnastics to figure this one out. :lol:

It was 94.6*F today. How the hell can you possibly enjoy this s**t, Tim? HOW?

Opioids? Booze? Both? I demand to know.

It was 94.6*F today. How the hell can you possibly enjoy this s**t, Tim? HOW?

Opioids? Booze? Both? I demand to know.

Not bad once and awhile... great day to be the water with a cold drink!

I prefer 80s... but we enjoy the hot days too.

Way more fun that 52 and drizzle. Waaaaaaaaaaay more fun.

I love 90’s especially with the typical lower DP’s in Eastern Wa...out on a lake or the Columbia on the boat or jetski...doesn’t get much better! But I also never complain when the 90’s come to visit on the west side either!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I love 90’s especially with the typical lower DP’s in Eastern Wa...out on a lake or the Columbia on the boat or jetski...doesn’t get much better! But I also never complain when the 90’s come to visit on the west side either!

That’s a good thing since you complain about basically everything else. :)

• Like 1

Yeah... it's a big party on the water when it's in the 90s. Everyone is out. Our reward for dealing with months of gloom and drizzle.

That’s a good thing since you complain about basically everything else. :)

I don’t complain about snowy cold, Arctic cold, windstorms, pre warm frontal partly cloudy/breezy days, thunderstorms...really I don’t complain about anything except 49 degree heavy drizzle day after day after day after day.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I don’t complain about snowy cold, Arctic cold, windstorms, pre warm frontal partly cloudy/breezy days, thunderstorms...really I don’t complain about anything except 49 degree heavy drizzle day after day after day after day.

So climo here for half the year. ;)

• Like 1

So will this be another above average May? We'll find out! 

And I'm curious about the start of my next round of convection beginning soon.. If it's tomorrow May 4th.. History would have an interesting way of repeating itself. But chances are Saturday will start it off, most likely.

05/04/2016 - heavy hailstorm and one of my most memorable lightning events in K-Falls

05/04/2017 - First Tornado Warning since August 2005 in southern Oregon (Crater Lake supercell)

05/04/2018 - (to be seen..)

Reminds me of another date that likes to repeat here

08/05/2012 - Downtown K-Falls - 60-70+ mph winds, flooding rains, power out until next morning.

08/05/2014 - Keno (neighboring town to SW) - 1" hail accumulating 3-5" deep on roads. Shelf cloud seen from here.

08/05/2015 - Downtown - T'storm at 2am shaking the house. Obviously I didn't start sleeping until after that.

08/05/2016 - lost of nearby lightning in vicinity, constant rumbling to my north. Mammatus/rainbow display that lasted 2 hours.

I will look forward to 08/05/2018 and hopefully tomorrow evening!  :lol:

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

So will this be another above average May? We'll find out! 

And I'm curious about the start of my next round of convection beginning soon.. If it's tomorrow May 4th.. History would have an interesting way of repeating itself. But chances are Saturday will start it off, most likely.

05/04/2016 - heavy hailstorm and one of my most memorable lightning events in K-Falls

05/04/2017 - First Tornado Warning since August 2005 in southern Oregon (Crater Lake supercell)

05/04/2018 - (to be seen..)

Reminds me of another date that likes to repeat here

08/05/2012 - Downtown K-Falls - 60-70+ mph winds, flooding rains, power out until next morning.

08/05/2014 - Keno (neighboring town to SW) - 1" hail accumulating 3-5" deep on roads. Shelf cloud seen from here.

08/05/2015 - Downtown - T'storm at 2am shaking the house. Obviously I didn't start sleeping until after that.

08/05/2016 - lost of nearby lightning in vicinity, constant rumbling to my north. Mammatus/rainbow display that lasted 2 hours.

I will look forward to 08/05/2018 and hopefully tomorrow evening!  :lol:

This next winter is also an 8 winter so it will surely deliver  :D

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

You hate 50s and love 80s? In that case, we should just switch houses. :P

UHySFY1.jpg

Greenland-Baffin Island perma-vortex stays put on the 00z EPS. The first Eurasian wavebreak is also showing up during the week 2 timeframe.

AxqN72e.png

aQiIZOe.png

KMeG29Y.png

BsoUily.png

jPm07Vd.png

gpmjtL8.png

This next winter is also an 8 winter so it will surely deliver :D

I have a good feeling about this winter!

Big improvements on the 12Z GFS for later next week and next weekend.     Now looking much more like the GEM and ECMWF.

EPS came in much troughier for the 7-10 day period, fortunately.

Interesting that all 3 models are going with ridging now. Maybe the EPS will cave today?