August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Not again. Was hoping this coming week we could have some smoke free air.

Probably a safe guess that any hot pattern for the remainder of this warm season will feature smoke at times. At least until there is some sort of region wide soaking.

Probably a safe guess that any hot pattern for the remainder of this warm season will feature smoke at times. At least until there is some sort of region wide soaking.

The analog(s) I'm using point to a troughy September. We really need to get a regional rain event within the next ~4-6 weeks or so. If we continue to torch through all of September then it might have bad ramifications down the line.

Seems like that might be the easiest way to figure out how much PDX's numbers may have been influenced by increased UHI.

In general, though, high temps are not affected by UHI near as much as low temps. SEA is sort of an exception to that, during the warm season.

Agreed, comparing to downtown would be a basic first step (especially since the downtown sensor has been on the same rooftop since 1973, I believe). The problem is that downtown obs aren't usually updated daily. I've also noticed lots of missing data there in the past when looking at recent monthly stats - for example, I just checked July 2018 and both the 13th & 28th are missing. The data only runs to Aug. 6th as well, so real-time analysis is impossible for this current pattern. 

Low temps are definitely more sensitive to UHI (sensible heat radiation from concrete preventing decoupling), but the same concrete can still give a nice boost to local maximums as well. Especially when compared to a previous landscape of riparian wetlands in that area. That's a lot of daytime heating that used to be diverted (on a local scale) toward evaporation of all that moisture, but can now be converted to diabatic heating of the lower levels. It definitely makes a difference, in the same way that a drought pattern increases surface heating in normally wet areas. 

• Like 1

Agreed, comparing to downtown would be a basic first step (especially since the downtown sensor has been on the same rooftop since 1973, I believe). The problem is that downtown obs aren't usually updated daily. I've also noticed lots of missing data there in the past when looking at recent monthly stats - for example, I just checked July 2018 and both the 13th & 28th are missing. The data only runs to Aug. 6th as well, so real-time analysis is impossible for this current pattern. 

Low temps are definitely more sensitive to UHI (sensible heat radiation from concrete preventing decoupling), but the same concrete can still give a nice boost to local maximums as well. Especially when compared to a previous landscape of riparian wetlands in that area. That's a lot of daytime heating that used to be diverted (on a local scale) toward evaporation of all that moisture, but can now be converted to diabatic heating of the lower levels. It definitely makes a difference, in the same way that a drought pattern increases surface heating in normally wet areas. 

100% agree. Increased UHI will raise low temps at pretty much any station, but the affect on high temps is more variable and depends largely on what the land looked like before the increase in concrete, buildings, bare ground, lights, etc, and usually decrease in vegetation.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Ended up with a 63F low last night, warmer than any lows we had in the preceding heatwave, but it's only up to 66F right now. Supposedly there was some drizzle this morning. Would be nice to get some real rain today, though anything short of an inch probably wouldn't make much of a difference judging by the forecasts :mellow: .

Ended up with a 63F low last night, warmer than any lows we had in the preceding heatwave, but it's only up to 66F right now. Supposedly there was some drizzle this morning. Would be nice to get some real rain today, though anything short of an inch probably wouldn't make much of a difference judging by the forecasts :mellow: .

drizzle here now

Sprinkles!!!

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

St. Helens is getting a good soaking this morning!

Looks like this brief wave sliding through will probably be about it for most places, judging by radar. Not much out there to the west. I'm sure Tim and Mossman will end up with .5"+, though.

Nice shower moving through Tacoma right now.

A forum for the end of the world.

As is often the case, hot weather in the PNW has meant cooler than normal weather for a large portion of the country.

14dTDeptUS.png

The warmth here has largely been due to high minimums, though. Lots of days w/ 75-78 degree dews and billowing clouds/rain.

Looks like Shawnigan just had some very heavy rain in a shower. There's a broad area of showers moving this way, hope it holds together. I'm seeing a bit of rotation at the head of the Juan de Fuca.

Yea. It rained about 0.1” in 30 seconds. The street was a river well after the rain stopped.
  • Like 1

Was out mowing the lawn and got drenched with one of the small cells ahead of main front. Had to finish mowing with wet grass. Not fun.

Life in the Pacific NorthWET!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Aaaand now completely dry.  Looks like things will start to break up later on.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

No kidding. Leave it to Tim to pick the one, well-advertised day with showers to mow his lawn. :lol:

Its Saturday. And I had intentionally left it long to withstand the heat better. But needed to mow it... so today is the best day.

I took advantage of an unexpected dry period earlier and was actually hoping to get wet. I was not really complaining. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Getting quite a heavy, soaking rain right now and I’m really enjoying it which feels a little weird given we are about to enter an 8 month stretch of nothing but rain.

Hoping to get some lightning/thunder at some point, something that is sorely missed after being under a ridge for the past month+.

I feel the same way.

I want some rain now... but that feels strange since we know that it will never end once it gets going.