October 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

12Z GFS is a notch farther south with the system on Friday afternoon and evening...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_11.png

Really hoping for a dry day on Friday to pull the boat out and winterize it. Let’s hope that verifies!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

12Z ICON shows the Friday system even farther south than the GFS and it misses the Seattle area entirely.  

Its also farther south and west with the weak system coming down in the NW flow on Sunday.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

In case folks missed it. Tim said this morning he thinks we will have trouble getting into the 30s this December and January.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

For the third straight year no less.

One of the reasons why I'm hoping this Winter we get a big regional event like in December 2008 so everybody can score. With localized events, a slight shift in track might be the reason you're dry or with cold rain rather than snow. With big regional events your margin of error is more.

• Like 1

In case folks missed it. Tim said this morning he thinks we will have trouble getting into the 30s this December and January.

I said we might consider getting down to freezing in the mid-winter as an achievement.    Which has been the case in some years.

Much like getting into the 60s in February and then struggling to the 60s in June.  

Our climate is interestingly muted.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

He then realized how dumb that sounded and edited his post to say "freezing" instead.

Next level trolling.

I meant to say freezing initially as well... but even getting down into the 30s at SEA and PDX has been cause for celebration in January recently.   ;)

Eugene fell to at least 36 this morning.

Looks like they hit 78 yesterday. So 19 degrees warmer than Jim’s place.

Springfield didn't, all the stations in town got down to 41-43.  It seems Mahlon Sweet Field is typically one of the coldest spots in the valley and the rest of Eugene/Springfield is usually several degrees warmer.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

For example... SEA got down to freezing once this past January and it was celebrated.   And only got below 35 on just 3 days in January.   

And it was not just SEA... Snoqualmie Valley also only got below freezing once this past January.  

Springfield didn't, all the stations in town got down to 41-43.  It seems Mahlon Sweet Field is typically one of the coldest spots in the valley and the rest of Eugene/Springfield is usually several degrees warmer.

It also seems like Springfield has been one of the warmer spots in the valley recently. Even SLE got colder than that.

A forum for the end of the world.

One of the reasons why I'm hoping this Winter we get a big regional event like in December 2008 so everybody can score. With localized events, a slight shift in track might be the reason you're dry or with cold rain rather than snow. With big regional events your margin of error is more.

We should make a list of us here who have gotten our first accumulating snow or are still waiting. I can venture a guess as to who has gone the longest without it.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

For example... SEA got down to freezing once this past January and it was celebrated.   And only got below 35 on just 3 days in January.   

And it was not just SEA... Snoqualmie Valley also only got below freezing once this past January.  

They hit freezing 10 times in December and 9 times in February, though. Not bad for a warm spot.

Recently meaning last January (though the first 8 days had lows in the 30s at PDX), but certainly not 2017.  ;)

Yes... 2017 was colder.

But SEA was only below freezing on 4 days in January 2016

And 2 days in January 2015

And 2 days in January 2014 (both at 31)

Just an observation about our muted climate.   We can be talking about freezing temps in early October and still struggle to get below freezing in January.   The opposite is true in the spring.   We can have these bursts of warmth in late winter and early spring that exceed many days in May and June.    

In my area... we hit 70 on MLK Day and then had some days in June with highs in the 50s.    :rolleyes:

For example... SEA got down to freezing once this past January and it was celebrated. And only got below 35 on just 3 days in January.

You're an uncomfortable vehicle for climate change lament-related hyperbole. It's upsetting for those who want full autonomy over their whining.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

It also seems like Springfield has been one of the warmer spots in the valley recently. Even SLE got colder than that.

Springfield, Corvallis, and Monmouth have been the warmest spots in the valley for as long as I have paid attention.  :lol:   Yet all 3 cities average 4+ inches of snow historically.  Only 3 or so since 1981 though.  :(

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Yes... 2017 was colder.

But SEA was only below freezing on 4 days in January 2016

And 2 days in January 2015

And 2 days in January 2014 (both at 31)

Just an observation about our muted climate.   We can be talking about freezing temps in early October and still struggle to get below freezing in January.   The opposite is true in the spring.   We can have these bursts of warmth in late winter and early spring that exceed many days in May and June.    

In my area... we hit 70 on MLK Day and then had some days in June with highs in the 50s.    :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is....January has overall not been a very cold month in recent years? About time someone pointed that out!

12Z GFS actually shows ridging building in starting one week from today... maybe this time it will actually stick.     Believe when I see it.  

Its hard for me to troll your weather when it sounds nice.

Yeah, 90 degree days in October are sooooo nice. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

In small pockets, yes.

attachicon.gif7dPNormWRCC-NW.png

Referring more to the last month... and its nice that the wetter than normal area to the north and east of Seattle is the area that might be dry on Friday.  We need more systems that bypass our area and head straight for Oregon!  

anomimage_2.gif

12Z GFS actually shows ridging building in starting one week from today... maybe this time it will actually stick.     Believe when I see it.  

We've had riding over us maybe 80% of the time the last six months. Not like it has been hard to come by, despite the melodramatics.

Don’t even get me started on how rainy it is here.

It's been very dry, save for a few areas to our north. Or at least so I've heard. It'd be nice if the somewhat peculiar anomaly was illustrated visually in some way...

We've had riding over us maybe 80% of the time the last six months. Not like it has been hard to come by, despite the melodramatics.

Believe it when I see it.   The models have been promising ridging and then taking it away.   

I just did the calculation for the Snoqualmie Valley... it has rained on 78 out of the last 180 days.     That is 43% of the days since April 3rd.    We don't normally have rain with ridging in the warm season.    ;)

35 this morning. Touch of frost.

Based off of the last 135 thousand posts. I think the area north and east of Seattle has been wetter than other areas in the PNW.

Cliff Mass says Seattle is included as well.  :)

cm1.png

35 this morning. Touch of frost.

Based off of the last 135 thousand posts. I think the area north and east of Seattle has been wetter than other areas in the PNW.

It'll be discovered and discussed again tomorrow. Don't miss a minute of the action!