October 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

I just figured I had it coming after trolling you through the entire month of June. ;)

Its hard for me to troll your weather when it sounds nice.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am not freaking out about our normal rainfall in western WA. Its business as usual. I am mocking those who think we should all be deeply concerned about drought up here and the only place in the state that is actually wet is my backyard. ;)

I don’t remember the last time anyone said you should be concerned about drought. The issue usually arises from your apparent compulsion to start talking North Bend rainfall stats anytime anyone mentions anything about it being dry down here. Usually the posts aren’t even addressed to you.

Oh gotcha. I thought you were pulling a legitimate Trump. He made a serious dent in any reasonable pushback to overregulation by climate change activists by saying something like that. Made everyone look dumb.

Except he didn't. If you view the non MSM crap version you will see he is only saying he doesn't believe in MAN MADE global warming never said the world wasn't warming.  He just doesn't want to sell our nation up a creek without a paddle to the lowest bidder.AKA The UN. In other words he doesn't want a nanny state out of it telling us what to think, what we are allowed to drive,whether or not we can use rainwater in our own backyard.etc. (Yes some places it's illegal to collect rainwater and you will get dinged with a fine or have a nice talk with a judge about usage of water)  Not that I'd want to collect water with the heavy metals in the air. I don't trust the water without boiling it first. :)

SEA is just over an inch below normal for 2018?    Why didn't you say that before?   Wow.   I had no idea how bad it has been.  That is a serious situation.  

We must always be at 125% of normal rain or higher.    :rolleyes:

Interesting theories you have tonight that 1 to 3 inches below normal constitutes it "being wet" and that places south of Olympia are not actually in Western WA. I think you may have stumbled onto something big.

I don’t remember the last time anyone said you should be concerned about drought. The issue usually arises from your apparent compulsion to start talking North Bend rainfall stats anytime anyone mentions anything about it being dry down here. Usually the posts aren’t even addressed to you.

You just posted pics of dead trees and said it will be here soon.     :lol:

The implication has been that almost all of western WA is in a serious situation and the only area that is wet in my backyard and maybe Randy's backyard.  

Its not true.   And Cliff Mass just mocked the drought talk.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You just posted pics of dead trees and said it will be here soon.     :lol:

The implication has been that almost all of western WA is in a serious situation and the only area that is wet in my backyard and maybe Randy's backyard.  

Its not true.   And Cliff Mass just mocked the drought talk.    

I really could give two shits what Cliff Mass says. From SW Washington southward it has been pretty bad. I think that is outside the area he covers in his blog.

Interesting theories you have tonight that 1 to 3 inches below normal constitutes it "being wet" and that places south of Olympia are not actually in Western WA. I think you may have stumbled onto something big.

Using "western WA" loosely.    PDX is within sight of western WA so its obviously not accurate to lump it all in together.   

Lets say the SEA NWS coverage area then.  Not one of their major stations was below normal for the water year that just ended.     And being a little below normal in 2018 is not shocking given how wet it has been over the last 4 years.    It cannot be wetter than normal every single year right?    If so... then the definition of normal needs to be changed.

I really could give two shits what Cliff Mass says. From SW Washington southward it has been pretty bad. I think that is outside the area he covers in his blog.

Exactly.   

Very different down there.  

Using "western WA" loosely.    PDX is within sight of western WA so its obviously not accurate to lump it all in together.   

Lets says the SEA NWS coverage area then.  Not one of their major stations was below normal for the water year that just ended.     And being a little below normal in 2018 is not shocking given how wet it has been over the last 4 years.    It cannot be wetter than normal every single year right?    Then the definition of normal needs to be changed.

No one has said the situation around Seattle is "shocking". They are running dry in recent months, like the rest of the region, and at the present time are in what could be considered a mild, impermanent drought. The only thing shocking about that is how much debate that seems to spark. Hopefully those sparks don't start any fires down this way, where it's been significantly drier relative to average!

Most Seattle area residents have a tendency to think that the state extends from roughly Olympia to Everett. Maybe Marysville on a good day.

• Like 1

No one has said the situation around Seattle is "shocking". They are running dry in recent months, like the rest of the region, and at the present time are in what could be considered a mild, impermanent drought. The only thing shocking about that is how much debate that seems to spark. Hopefully those sparks don't start any fires down this way, where it's been significantly drier!

Seattle was much wetter than normal for 4 years and now just over 1 inch below normal for 2018.   And will probably be above normal for 2018 after next week.   Also interesting to note... SEA WFO has had 3 more inches of rain in 2018 than SEA and is already above normal for the year.

As Cliff said today... "To put it mildly, we have not been in drought the past few years".

Some pretty impressive numbers popping up already tonight.  Some places already down into the 30s in the Puget Sound region as of midnight.  One that really catches my eye is Bellingham's dp has slipped below frezing.  In the interior of BC there are some upper single digit to upper teen temps.  The GFS is advertising an even more solid cold shot early next week.  Nice start to the cold season! 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That was the CZ. The primary cold front was this morning.

It was pretty dynamic up here today.  My high only reached 59 and it dropped to around 50 in the late afternoon with gusty NW winds and heavy rain.  Now it's clear and looking good to drop below 40 by morning.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Station of the God's North hits 32. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

34 here this morning. Easily the coldest morning of the fall so far. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Wtf. The 06Z GFS gives greater Victoria a dusting of snow on October 10th as that vigorous cold front rolls rhru.

Just like when we get up to 65 in February and then can barely get up to 65 in June... I have a feeling we are going to be talking about getting down to freezing as a big achievement in December and January.

True. I've respect for him as a very experienced met but he doesn't give 2 $hits about Oregon unless we are scoring with the goodies while they are dry and cold.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

True. I've respect for him as a very experienced met but he doesn't give 2 tips about Oregon unless we are scoring with the goodies while they are dry and cold.

For the record... I don't expect you to be concerned with his assessments of our weather up here either.

It was more for the people who live up here... and because he is saying the same thing that I have been saying about drought... its not an issue up here (and not just for my backyard).

It was pretty dynamic up here today. My high only reached 59 and it dropped to around 50 in the late afternoon with gusty NW winds and heavy rain. Now it's clear and looking good to drop below 40 by morning.

23 degree temp gradient from your place to Eugene/Springfield yesterday. Holy crap!

Only got down to 42F here ☹️

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope