November 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Timmy Supercell

Drought talk will never end on this forum. It's ingrained into the DNA to talk about it, even when it isn't happening.

To be fair, people in OR and SW Washington are pretty justified in their drought talk and complaining, at the present time.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Drought talk will never end on this forum. It's ingrained into the DNA to talk about it, even when it isn't happening.

It only happens when parts of the region are in a drought, like now. I don’t remember any happening last year, when that wasn’t so much the case. Or in previous years.

You know the rule though right? As soon as you move, wherever you move to heads into its worst 5 year winter stretch and the climate back home changes to good haha.

Not always true... My first full winter here last year I had 216" (18 feet!) of snow. Yearly average is ~110".

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I'm pretty sure for a good chunk of 2016 and at least in early 2017 I was exempt from any drought status. Some probably believe the cascades have been perpetually stuck in it since 2013. Not quite the case. :P

The last 3 winters in a row have actually been decent (averaged of course, 2018 alone might not look as good).

And if this upcoming winter for sure is better than last one, this could be 4 winters in a row that has produced some decent pack.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

It only happens when parts of the region are in a drought, like now. I don’t remember any happening last year, when that wasn’t so much the case. Or in previous years.

We finally agree!   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Do you always get these huge amounts? I am assuming upslope effect!

If so what is the drainage like around your place? That’s just a lot of rain!!!!

Not always. I live closeish to mountains, but not right beside them. I don't know how many miles away from a mountain constitutes close. I need better drainage for the farm! It's not really possible to do much until later in Spring starting in the fall some time. I put drainage around my greenhouse last year I think it was, and that made a world of difference because it was flooding for months with several inches of standing water almost the whole winter.

Until you change the goalposts again!

No matter how you slice it... most of Oregon is in serious drought and most of WA and all of southern BC is not in drought at all.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No matter how you slice it... most of Oregon is in serious drought and most of WA and all of southern BC is not in drought at all.

Really don’t want to do this anymore. And I don’t think anyone else wants to see it either. I actually worded it that way with the express purpose of avoiding garnering another response from you and getting into another several post debate about the same thing for the tenth time this month. :lol:

Like Matt said, no one is going to get you to “fly right” and view things from a more regional, backyard-detached perspective. Kind of a waste of time.

• Like 1

Not always. I live closeish to mountains, but not right beside them. I don't know how many miles away from a mountain constitutes close. I need better drainage for the farm! It's not really possible to do much until later in Spring starting in the fall some time. I put drainage around my greenhouse last year I think it was, and that made a world of difference because it was flooding for months with several inches of standing water almost the whole winter.

Fighting nature in this way is nuts! Always a good feeling though when you make some progress such as the greenhouse battle.

I’m at the bottom of a small neighborhood hill and that thing can unload two months after the winter rains have stopped. Water under the house and everywhere else. I’ve taken care of the crawlspace and currently redoing backyard and addressing the drainage at the base of the hill. Will see how it turns out. Good times

Really don’t want to do this anymore. And I don’t think anyone else wants us to either. I actually worded it that way with the express purpose of avoiding garnering another response from you and getting into another several post debate about the same thing for the tenth time this month. :lol:

Like Matt said, no one is going to get you to “fly right” and view things from a more regional, backyard-detached perspective. Kind of a waste of time.

Its not about my backyard.   

Its actually quantifiable:

Percentage in drought area:

Southern BC - 0% 

WA - 20.31% (all D1)

OR - 100% (mosttly D2 and higher)   

Southern BC - 0% 

WA - 20.31% (all D1)

I thought all of BC was in flames.  :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Southern BC - 0%

WA - 20.31% (all D1)

Of course, I never once said your specific area was currently in a drought. There has certainly been a regional drought though, and it has been a regionally dry year. All this despite the fact that you happen to live in the mostly unpopulated 20% of Washington state that has seen near to above average rainfall for 2018. ;)

• Like 1

Of course, I never once said your specific area was currently in a drought. There has certainly been a regional drought though, and it has been a regionally dry year. All this despite the fact that you happen to live in the mostly unpopulated 20% of Washington state that has seen near to above average rainfall for 2018. ;)

And also not to mention the fact he lives pretty much in the gloomiest part of the country someone can live in. Guys we get it, you love each other, give it a rest though. It's page after page of this crap everyday, no one can say anything about a drought anywhere without Tim repeating what he's said a thousand times already. Regurgitate the same thing over and over and it really starts defeating what your trying to get across what we all already know.

It rains at Tims more than most places. We get it.

Jesse loves rain more than the most of us, we get that too.

I moved to central Oregon because it rained so much on the west side, I appreciate it a lot more now. Wish I had more.

Rant over.

• Like 3

And also not to mention the fact he lives pretty much in the gloomiest part of the country someone can live in. It's page after page of this crap everyday, no one can say anything about a drought anywhere without Tim repeating what he's said a thousand times already. Regurgitate the same thing over and over and it really starts defeating what your trying to get across what we all already know.

I moved to central Oregon because it rained so much on the west side, I appreciate it a lot more now. Wish I had more.

Rant over.

Totally agree.

• Like 1

More like 40% of western WA is above normal for the year (also where the water supply for the majority of the population is located)... and the majority of the state is just a little below or above normal for the year.   

anomimage-2.gif

I have no problem saying that SW WA and Oregon is in serious drought.    That is the reality.    For some reason... you cannot focus on that and insist that this year is so terribly dry across the "region".   Its just not true.   

You can talk about the Oregon ans SW WA drought situation all you want... I will not challenge that at all.      

And also not to mention the fact he lives pretty much in the gloomiest part of the country someone can live in. Guys we get it, you love each other, give it a rest though. It's page after page of this crap everyday, no one can say anything about a drought anywhere without Tim repeating what he's said a thousand times already. Regurgitate the same thing over and over and it really starts defeating what your trying to get across what we all already know.

Jesse loves rain more than the most of us, we get that too.

Rant over.

So you completely dismiss everything I say because I live in a wet area?    :lol:

I am not complaining about the rain at all on here.   Or even talking about the rainfall totals here.

Anyone ever notice the comment element here? It’s either Phil vs Tim, or Justin vs Tim, or Flatiron vs Tim, or Jim vs Tim, or Chris vs Tim, or Bryant vs Tim etc etc etc. Seems like there’s one name that keeps coming up. :lol:

You guys are suckers.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Anyone ever notice the comment element here? It’s either Phil vs Tim, or Justin vs Tim, or Flatiron vs Tim, or Jim vs Tim, or Chris vs Tim, or Bryant vs Tim etc etc etc. Seems like there’s one name that keeps coming up. :lol:

Yes... Jim and I have been going at it like crazy over the last couple years.  :rolleyes:   

I can make the argument that you are have contentious debates with a list that is just as long or longer.

Another day that overachieved with rain. 1.20" so far.

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Where are you from?

Portland! Most recently in the West Hills.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Both December 2016 and 2017 were dry here.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Had .27" here so far.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope