11/24 - 11/26 Winter Storm

Tom

SREF snow total mean and total spread nudged N with recent 9Z runs, though amounts down slightly.

compare/contrast -

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=SREF&area=NAMER&ps=area

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've been guilty of this before I know, but now that I'm in the spectator seat for a storm in Nebraska, I fail to see the point of calling a storm cancel when there's one bad suite of models. It's still 2 days out and the very sudden jump South looked kinda suspicious to me. Of course next time there's a storm potential and I'm actually in Nebraska for it, I'll probably ignore what I just said.

As for OAX issuing the watch, they've been really paranoid about amounts since they flopped the 10/14 storm. Since then, they've been overforecasting amounts. I will say it's a nice break from the conservative/snowlover76 BS they usually pull.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

This a neat site...thanks Grizz!

Some of us learned the old school way-- before TT and PV and most others you had to use the GOVT site for GFS,ETA and NGM-- anyone else member the Not Good Model?? Actually was OK inside 24 hours for snow events.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Odd how the Ukie runs the hvy precip all across SMI but Euro says "no" keep it south of the border!

Still, not bad at all.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Was hoping for a continued north trend today, as I believe the storm is started to come on shore and be sampled more. NAM obviously didn’t provide that, so let’s see what the rest of the models have to offer. If they all trend slightly south again, that would about wrap up my hopes for getting in the sweet spot on this one. Hopefully the NAM was just off it’s rocker for a run, but we’ll see.

Yup. I’m hoping to see that trend continue on this run, as all the models this morning seemed to be going north slightly against until the 12z NAM. Still plenty of time for this to shift, but a turn back south again would be rather discouraging.

Yeah, getting late in the game for any south trends!

The ICON actually brings the snow shield a little further NW in southern Iowa, but the track is more easterly and doesn’t turn as far north once it gets into Missouri / Illinois.

Compare the last three runs of the ICON, though, and you’ll see a definitely shift north in southern iowa.

GFS, ICON, and NAM actually seem like they’re in pretty decent agreement on the 12z runs.

The ICON actually brings the snow shield a little further NW in southern Iowa, but the track is more easterly and doesn’t turn as far north once it gets into Missouri / Illinois.

Compare the last three runs of the ICON, though, and you’ll see a definitely shift north in southern iowa.

Id assume that it’s probably a result of lesser phasing. The more phased solutions are the ones that hook more NWward earlier.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

I’m not surprised. This seems to always happen when storms do a late southern trend. End up back further north in the end.

That’s what I was thinking was gonna happen until the NAM went way south. Hopefully that was just a bad run, though.

The swath of heavier snow seems a little more robust on this run as well.