April 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Omegaraptor

You should have kept the full version. Broke it down pretty well.

Yeah... thought it was too much.    I feel like we just sit around here poking each other with sticks.   And its not just me doing it.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I give him plenty of credit too.

But he is constantly trolling me... so sometimes I poke back.

That’s fair. There’s a lot you can troll me over. Humidity phobias. Stampede Pass. Western MD. Fake identity. Endless material, really.

My long range forecasting was always done with good intentions here, however, and it’s the one area where I’m so geeked out that I used to literally spend weekends reading published literature while my friends were out clubbing in DC. No joke.

So why you troll me with fake forecasts that I never made is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Then you shouldn't take it personal when we use the term Flatironing. It's just the internet, after all. Shine it on big guy!

Pointing out that it's a loose and subjective term isn't taking it personal. It's a term without definition, so that's what it is. Doesn't make me mad at anyone here.  :)

FAR less personal than weather preferences.

A forum for the end of the world.

That’s fair. There’s a lot you can troll me over. Humidity phobias. Stampede Pass. Western MD. Fake identity. Endless material, really.

My long range forecasting was always done with good intentions here, however, and it’s the one area where I’m so geeked out that I used to literally spend weekends reading published literature while my friends were out clubbing in DC. No joke.

So why you troll me with fake forecasts that I never made is beyond me. :rolleyes:

And you troll me with stupid things that I have never said or even thought.     That is the nature of trolling. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pointing out that it's a loose and subjective term isn't taking it personal. It's a term without definition, so that's what it is.  :)

FAR less personal than weather preferences.

It has a pretty solid definition that everyone seems to be aware of but you.  ^_^

-A paragraph from tonight’s Nws Seattle disc. Explaining timing of tomorrow’s system.

A vigorous frontal system will spread another round of rain

and

wind into the area on Saturday. The coast and north interior will

have windy conditions initially. Puget Sound and the Strait will

get a good shot of wind later in the day once the low tracking

off the coast shifts north and gradients turn onshore. Wind

advisories are in effect. Combined seas could reach 20 feet at the

coast for a few hours Saturday afternoon and evening for some

possible high surf conditions.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Oh man, these are both good finds.

That's a tough one. The Aukland Islands would definitely be more comfortable. But Turpan's arid seasonal swings would be fascinating to live through for a cycle or two.

Oh man, these are both good finds.

That's a tough one. The Aukland's would definitely be more comfortable. But Turpan's arid seasonal swings would be fascinating to live through for a cycle or two.

Right? It's two kinds of boring and two kinds of interesting. Turpan's Feb-April turnaround is incredible.

And you troll me with stupid things that I have never said or even thought. That is the nature of trolling.

Eh, not quite, since the topics of my trolling (re: you) are always based on your *actual* quirks. IE: Rain, clouds, and temperature peculiarities.

I’ve never called for an instant crash into an ice age or anything like that. Not even close. I was talking centuries to millennia. You could argue I’ve made some bad forecasts in the past (like summer 2017 or winter 2012), but it wasn’t intentional or attention seeking. I just messed up. It happens.

Right? It's two kinds of boring and two kinds of interesting. Turpan's Feb-April turnaround is incredible.

Yeah. I have to wonder if their cold in the winter is mostly inversion based or actual spillover from the deep cold that dominates inner Mongolia and points north.

For climates like the Aukland Islands (which I also find strangely fascinating) check out the Faroe Islands north of Scotland, and Unalaska Island in the Aleutians. I might actually take Unalaska since its similar to the others but its winters are a touch colder with more snow.

Yeah. I have to wonder if their cold in the winter is mostly inversion based or actual spillover from the deep cold that dominates inner Mongolia and points north.

For climates like the Aukland Islands (which I also find strangely fascinating) check out the Faroe Islands north of Scotland, and Unalaska Island in the Aleutians. I might actually take Unalaska since its similar to the others but its winters are a touch colder with more snow.

I'd guess it's spillover, based on the record lows being so much lower than the averages. But maybe a combination of both.

Unalaska is not bad, actually! At least, it's not bad compared to this monstrosity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_Island,_New_Zealand#Climate

A record temperature spread of 18F-70F, plus it's only sunny about 15% of the time D:

• Like 1

Thanks El Nina.

As promised, pretty cool rainbow pics.

Well hold on, lol. When it attaches them it keeps making them upside down. Even if if I rotate the pic 180, anyone else deal with this?

If you post pictures you took from an IPhone they come out sideways unless you turn the phone sideways, like you should do, when you take photo

I've seen that map before! It's hard to tell much from it, since the categories are chosen based on the highest frequency of lightning for the whole country, if only there were a map where the highest is 1 stroke/km^2 and then there were ten or so categories. Hmm.

I’m pretty sure the tstorm frequency drops off as you travel north in western Washington. I know the Canadian forum always jokes about the border force field killing thunderstorms during summer convection episodes. Southern Vancouver Island sees even less frequent thunderstorms than The Vancouver area
  • Like 1

Crazy in Tukwila/Burien today where a car struck a power pole fell and ultimately caused multiple other poles (14 total) to fell with it in a domino effect. 1 fell onto a car and trapped 2 people and somehow they miraculously survived. 

Area of low pressure associated with the system today spinning up right off the WA coast. Looks like a low from a typical December storm very cool looking. A buoy 20 miles west of ilwaco registered a 56mph gust not too long ago.

50244BD3-31F2-40D9-8A4E-7B8723418293.jpeg

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Clouds are getting darker here as the back end of the system gets closer and works it’s way NE. Heavier precip is in SW WA currently. Some light south breezes so far. Has been a good soaking rain so far this morning hopefully we keep getting more this month.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Back end of the front moving through SW WA and NW OR on its way into the cascades for more snow. Just light winds so far still.

Rain has been moderate here through the morning nothing too crazy.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Trial Island off the southern tip of Victoria has winds gusting close to 70mph currently

There’s been some strong gusts out on the WA coast as well. It’s not the strongest storm of the season even but it’s fairly strong by April standards.

Didn’t think the gusts had made it that far inland already.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Sounds like trying times for them, especially for any trees that are starting to sprout spring leaves.

wind gusts of 30 yesterday took off many of the cherry blossoms of the trees in my area. I’m hoping that the wind doesn’t get too bad and screw up more stuff today, but I fear it might. I also hope that the 70mph reading in Victoria doesn’t equate to the storm being stronger than anticipated.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Excerpt from This mornings NWS SEA disc. Regarding winds.

Strongest winds over land areas are expected to occur behind the

front during the afternoon hours, between 1 PM and 4 PM in most

interior locations. The winds will likely occur a couple hours

sooner on the central Washington coast around Hoquiam, between 10

AM and Noon. Peak wind gusts in areas near bodies of water and

typically windier hilltop locations will likely top out around 50

mph. Peak winds of 40-50 mph have already been reported in Pacific

county this morning. A wind advisory remains in effect until 7 PM

this evening for the Washington coastal zones and for most of the

interior zones from the Canadian border southward into the

southwest interior.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Not windy in the least. FML

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"