July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Noone has disagreed with Tim on how cloudy it has been, none, nada, zilch...

Some say its perfectly normal to barely see the sun all summer... and we are just not used to normal now.  That is BS.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This site allows you to compare a whole bunch of historical climate data. You can pick a station like KSEA and pick daily data for a month and it will show the highs and lows each day. I'd define an exceptionally cloudy day as 72 or lower for the high.

http://scacis.rcc-acis.org/

great site thanks.

Some say its perfectly normal to barely see the sun all summer... and we are just not used to normal now. That is BS.

No one said that. It’s pretty obvious you’ve seen more sun this summer/warm season than you are acting like you have.

No one said that. It’s pretty obvious you’ve seen more sun this summer/warm season than you are acting like you have.

No... out of the last 30 days there are just 3 days that were generally sunny.   Most days have been cloudy from start to finish and most of those days were of the dark low cloud variety.    Considering that the 3 generally sunny days were not totally sunny and accounting for sun breaks on a few cloudy days... it probably works out to 85-90% cloud cover.   

I can run the loop on my security cameras and tell you fairly precisely but it would take some time and I already know its close to 90% and it been bad (i.e. for those who like to see a decent amount of sun in the summer).

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This site allows you to compare a whole bunch of historical climate data. You can pick a station like KSEA and pick daily data for a month and it will show the highs and lows each day. I'd define an exceptionally cloudy day as 72 or lower for the high.

http://scacis.rcc-acis.org/

Very nice!

Jan 1969.png

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

No... out of the last 30 days there are just 3 days that were generally sunny. Most days have been cloudy from start to finish and most of those days were of the dark low cloud variety. Considering that the 3 generally sunny days were not totally sunny and accounting for sun breaks on a few cloudy days... it probably works out to 85-90% cloud cover.

I can run the loop on my security cameras and tell you fairly precisely but it would take some time and I already know its close to 90% and it been bad (for those who like to see a decent amount of sun in the summer).

I don’t believe you. I’m going to need to see those security camera loops to be sure.
  • Like 1

When scrolling through the GFS and looking at the 00Z, 18Z, and 12Z runs for comparison... the 18Z run looks just goofy and out of place.  That is why I usually ignore the 06Z and 18Z runs.   Today is a perfect example of the "18Z jump" that I have mentioned.   In fact... today its a leap.   And then right back where it started on the 00Z run.

I don’t believe you. I’m going to need to see those security camera loops to be sure.

:)

And as I posted that... I thought that I sound just like Phil now.  

I will have it done by tomorrow.   I promise!!

When scrolling through the GFS and looking at the 00Z, 18Z, and 12Z runs for comparison... the 18Z run looks just goofy and out of place.  That is why I usually ignore the 06Z and 18Z runs.   Today is a perfect example of the "18Z jump" that I have mentioned.   In fact... today its a leap.   And then right back where it started on the 00Z run.

We call it the druncle for a reason.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Lol. N/NW flow with a strong 850 jet and you guys get surprised there is wet crap coming out of the sky in the PSCZ. You guys silly.

I said I was surprised that its not raining out here.   I expected there to be a c-zone all day... but it was pretty quiet until this evening.

:)

And as I posted that... I thought that I sound just like Phil now.

I will have it done by tomorrow. I promise!!

So maybe in a month then.

It was pretty sunny up here today, though a few clouds and light showers moved off of the mountains late this afternoon

July 18th and it’s currently 55 degrees. The in-laws currently visiting from Arizona are freezing to death.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Lol, my name keeps coming up randomly.

“Phil said [insert lie]”. “Phil did [insert sin]”.

Get out now!!! You think this summer is bad... just wait!! Its going to get so much worse!!

I guess we are going to go from 10% to 0%. Reality is we can't drop very far in terms of sunshine. It physically impossible.

And colder would likely be a little bit more sunny anyways.

Edited by TT-SEA

Get out now!!! You think this summer is bad... just wait!! Its going to get so much worse!!

I guess we are going to go from 10% to 0%. Reality is we can't drop very far in terms of sunshine. It physically impossible.

Okay, Tim.

Okay, Tim.

I don't know much... but I do know that 10% is quite close 0%. And 0% is the worst case scenario. Can't drop very far.

I said I was surprised that its not raining out here.   I expected there to be a c-zone all day... but it was pretty quiet until this evening.

You live in a bizarre microclimate, almost every day this month has been sunny and 70F+ here. We've had a few partially rainy days but it hasn't been that bad, people around town have been mentioning how great it is to have some variety in summer weather for a change.

We can’t always get the weather we want.

Do you think I’m enjoying this weather?LoRFyJu.jpg

Its hot in DC. Therefore I hope we never see the sun here... 3,000 miles away.

Do you think I’m enjoying this weather?

LoRFyJu.jpg

The nights look enjoyable!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

You live in a bizarre microclimate, almost every day this month has been sunny and 70F+ here. We've had a few partially rainy days but it hasn't been that bad, people around town have been mentioning how great it is to have some variety in summer weather for a change.

Glad its been nice there. I don't doubt it.

And this bizarre microclimate is basically the entire Seattle area and a large part of western WA.

Your area is virtually immune to the marine layer anyways. Its been on steroids down here. I have never seen it this persistent. Not even close even in the summers of 2008, 2010, and 2011.

Don't be angry at us for it... most of us don't want it either. Something closer to normal would be nice.

Do you think I’m enjoying this weather?

LoRFyJu.jpg

One summer we were in Lake Nacimiento, which is near Paso Robles. The days were hot and humid with highs around 105. We thought, "Why not cool off at the coast? It's only an hour's drive away". We went to Morro Bay. It was foggy and about 58 degrees there. Probably would have been better to go to San Luis Obispo instead. In California the summers are boring, but the microclimates are unlike anything else in the world.

• Like 1

The nights look enjoyable!

Just splendid. As in, impossible to breathe.

High dewpoint air pools in the River Valley and just suffocates us. I’ve seen it 85/83 at dawn a few times.

fxJ5kdd.jpg

Glad its been nice there. I don't doubt it.

And this bizarre microclimate is basically the entire Seattle area and a large part of western WA.

Your area is virtually immune to the marine layer anyways. Its been on steroids down here. I have never seen it this persistent. Not even close even in the summers of 2008, 2010, and 2011.

Don't be angry at us for it... we don't want it either. Something closer to normal would be nice.

It's pretty amazing that the perceivable weather can be so different over such a short distance for this long. The marine layer typically keeps to the south of here down the Juan de Fuca, I can often see low clouds over the water to the south, I guess it piles up as soon as it hits the Cascades.

One summer we were in Lake Nacimiento, which is near Paso Robles. The days were hot and humid with highs around 105. We thought, "Why not cool off at the coast? It's only an hour's drive away". We went to Morro Bay. It was foggy and about 58 degrees there. Probably would have been better to go to San Luis Obispo instead. In California the summers are boring, but the microclimates are unlike anything else in the world.

My father in law lives on Nacimiento, last time we were visiting it was about 90 each day and the water temp was perfect!

Time to relocate:

U9Xfq7m.jpg

If only. :wub:

Best climate ever. Just need more thunderstorms at it would be heaven on Earth.