July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

The 18z ensembles were actually better than the 12z.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Except Phil.

I guess normal here is 0% sun in the summer. The 10% we have had is just a small blessing from God. And the great darkness is coming for the next decade. And I must leave now because 10% is sort of annoying me and this is an incredible summer. How dare I dream of the normal 50%. :lol:

Okay, enough playing around. I’ve never said anything like that, unless I was joking.

You’re full of it, man.

Most of Phil’s arguments against you are completely retarded, I will give you that. Waters down the message of those who actually make good points, like me. B)

Which arguments?

Don’t call me out unless you’re willing to back up your assertions with factual evidence. B)

Which arguments?

Don’t call me out unless you’re willing to back yourself up.

The ones where you are very obviously trolling with extreme statements and not even really putting much work into it. Which makes up about 80% of your stuff against Tim. :P

Anyone have any “good” analogs for summers like the one we are having if it keeps playing out the it is, with low solar, relatively neutral ENSO, and coming off a huge SSW in late January?

Almost none if you include QBO. Most recent is 1993/94 but it didn’t follow a SSW and solar minimum was 2yrs later. Also a bad polar strat analog altogether.

There’s also 1964/65 but it was a niña. You could argue for 1954/55 but that was also the inception of a multiyear niña. My guess is you have to go back to the 19th/early 20th century (we’ve heard that before).

Well for sarcastic joking it sure seems to ruffle his feathers pretty frequently. I think he made about 10 largely unprompted posts about it today alone. :lol:

He does it almost every day. Extreme trolling wrapped in science mumbo jumbo.

Takes away from his actual meaningful posts.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well for sarcastic joking it sure seems to ruffle his feathers pretty frequently. I think he made about 10 largely unprompted posts about it today alone. :lol:

Yeah I was the punching bag today.

And while I’m the last one that should be talking about stuff like this, since I complain about stuff as much as anyone, it’s not Tim’s “preferences” I take issue with, it’s how he conveys them here, and insists everyone, even Mother Nature, conform to his preconceived ideas of what should be “normal”.

Then again, I presume it’s fair to consider this the pot calling the kettle black. I get it. I don’t think I’m quite as bad but hypocrisy would be a fair charge.

Okay, end of serious post. Back to fun weather stuff.

Yeah I was the punching bag today.

And while I’m the last one that should be talking about stuff like this, since I complain about stuff as much as anyone, it’s not Tim’s “preferences” I take issue with, it’s how he conveys them here, and insists everyone, even Mother Nature, conform to his preconceived ideas of what should be “normal”.

Says the person who CONSTANTLY attacks anyone here for wanting ridging or heat. Without fail. Even when not provoked.

I don't attack anyone. I am doing my best to understand their preferences.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Says the person who CONSTANTLY attacks anyone here for wanting ridging or heat.

I don't attack anyone. I do my best to understand their preferences.

Did you miss my edit or delete it? ;)

Have you seen me complain about the relentless heatwave ongoing here? I get there’s an element of hypocrisy, but hopefully it’s just a subscript.

Did you miss my edit or delete it? ;)

Have you seen me complain about the relentless heatwave ongoing here? I get there’s an element of hypocrisy, but hopefully it’s just a subscript.

I have to admit, you have done far less complaining about your weather this year than Tim has about clouds and daytime darkness.

• Like 2

I’m noticing a pattern here: posters from the Puget Sound area are correctly pointing out it’s been far cloudier than normal this July , and posters that don’t even live around here or live in Oregon are denying it or underplaying it. I’ve been here for 35 years and this is the cloudiest July I can remember. Everyone at work is talking about it. It’s just a fact and I can believe that 80 percent cloudy figure that’s been thrown around. It has in no way driven by high cirrus clouds as one poster implied... it’s almost all been low and mid level dark and gloomy clouds.

It’s actually been fairly gloomy all the way from the middle of June. This is in no way a normal summer for Puget Sound despite what some are trying to say.

I’m noticing a pattern here: posters from the Puget Sound area are correctly pointing out it’s been far cloudier than normal this July , and posters that don’t even live around here or live in Oregon are denying it or underplaying it. I’ve been here for 35 years and this is the cloudiest July I can remember. Everyone at work is talking about it. It’s just a fact and I can believe that 80 percent cloudy figure that’s been thrown around. It has in no way driven by high cirrus clouds as one poster implied... it’s almost all been low and mid level dark and gloomy clouds.

It’s actually been fairly gloomy all the way from the middle of June. This is in no way a normal summer for Puget Sound despite what some are trying to say.

Tim made a new friend. Or is this...... Tim himself?!?! Hmmmm

Not me. But sounds about right. Its sort of obvious that its been unusually bad if you are living in this area.

Fred can confirm its not me BTW.

Not me. But sounds about right. Its sort of obvious that its been unusually bad if you are living in this area.

Fred can confirm its not me BTW.

Wasn’t there another poster from North Bend who was just talking about how enjoyable this summer has been so far? Although it sounds like he’s a native PNWer so maybe we shouldn’t count his opinion.

Wasn’t there another poster from North Bend who was just talking about how enjoyable this summer has been so far? Although it sounds like he’s a native PNWer so maybe we shouldn’t count his opinion.

If you enjoy perpetual cloudiness and virtually no sun at all then this is your summer. Does not mean its normal though.

Natives know 10% sun is not normal here.

iWKad22.jpg

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

There have been lots of cloudy days with highs reaching the mid 70s up there, which is not really cold, but just gray. Despite all the endless troughing it has been showing sea surface temperatures well above normal. Quite surprisingly Seattle is above average so far for July.

Its been cloudy almost all of astronomical summer here. Warm lows are netting the overall departure to zero.

But statistically speaking... its virtually impossible for any future mid June to mid July period to be cloudier. Because its almost at zero in this area. And you can't go lower than zero.

Wow. Quite the wide convergence zone setting up Seattle North.

Yeah... its going gangbusters over there.   And its surprisingly dry out here.