September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

Dorian is now a post-tropical cyclone. It's about time.

With sustained winds up to 100mph again. Lol.

Honestly, is “heavy drizzle” an inside joke, or is it a serious weather ob? I’ve never understood the reference.

Honestly, is “heavy drizzle” a joke, or is it a serious weather ob? I’ve never understood the reference.

Serious observation. Happens all the time. There is a huge difference between that and light drizzle. Heavy drizzle is drenching wet... but with very fine droplets.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I didn’t want to get too flamboyant before it became more of a sure thing, but FWIW, there is a significant SSW/final warming ongoing over the South Pole right now. These are relatively rare down there for topographic reasons, and there hasn’t been a legit South Pole SSW/FW event since 2002.

And yes, research suggests there are consequences for the tropics/NH following these events, and in theory this could impact the evolution into/through boreal winter given timing and EHEM/IO telecommunicative conduits (where MJO genesis climatologically occurs).

As for what this could entail..

Well, for one, there will likely be little/no ozone hole over Antarctica for a time this year. Furthermore, there could be important low frequency changes to the circulation over the SPAC and IO/SIOD/IPWP communicative roots to the seasonal cycle of EOFs for their respective phase changes, as the SH component of the seasonal cycle is disrupted.

This one is worth watching as much as any NH SSW would be, as far as long term impacts on the global system state are concerned.

I heard about the SSW in the Southern Hemisphere. Didn't realize it's a rare occurrence for them down there.

Yeah, interested in researching more about this and its potential ramifications down the line!

Lol @ Tim spending his life running from clouds.

They’re just clouds, Tim. They won’t hurt you. In fact your body is made of the same exact stuff clouds are!

• Like 2

Today’s signs that winter is coming...my 12 yards of drain rock arrived and I had it dumped next to my winterized boat, the head of our neighbors flamingo floaty is starting to droop, and my truck got new tires today. Going to be a wild and Woolley winter season!

2366BE02-3311-421A-80D5-BC5F987CC072.jpeg

751E1D7F-A7A5-4906-8D35-C1CFCAA9358A.jpeg

1BAD59A1-AD9A-459B-B27E-8E8F79591AA7.jpeg

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Lol @ Tim spending his life running from clouds.

They’re just clouds, Tim. They won’t hurt you. In fact your body is made of the same exact stuff clouds are!

You really need new material.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Serious observation. Happens all the time. There is a huge difference between that and light drizzle. Heavy drizzle is drenching wet... but with very fine droplets.

Interesting. Well I learned something new today.

In that case, I don’t think I’ve ever experienced heavy drizzle before. Visibility-reducing mist during the winter sometimes, but it’s hard for me to picture “heavy drizzle” in my minds eye. Lol.

The b*tch is awake.

Off to a slow start though. Zonal wind is just 3m/s at 10mb/65N. Definitely weaker than average for this time of year.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/hattard/realtime/u_65N_10hpa_gefs.png

Today’s signs that winter is coming...my 12 yards of drain rock arrived and I had it dumped next to my winterized boat, the head of our neighbors flamingo floaty is starting to droop, and my truck got new tires today. Going to be a wild and Woolley winter season!

The droopy head flamingo is a sure sign of a Jan 1950 redux!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Mark Nelsen noted that this little thing was one of the most intense thunderstorms he had seen west of the Cascades. Weakened eventually, but convection is definitely cranking over the mountains this evening.

70436564_2887331794627890_34784978956808

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Latest SEA AFD is interesting. Hoping for a few rumbles of thunder tonight. Should be lots of rain associated with any lightning storms so that’s good. Overall a wet night is coming up.

Things are firing up about as far north as south Pierce County now.  Could be some fun over the next hours as it moves north.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Things are firing up about as far north as south Pierce County now. Could be some fun over the next hours as it moves north.

I’m watching closely from my friends deck over looking commencement bay to the east. Radar looks pretty active.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0