November 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

Guest CulverJosh

Ot, but I have had a couple friends that wanted to join the forums but the security code wont let them through even though they typed it correctly multiple times. Thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

Strawmen can be easily blown away with a leaf blower.

And completely evaporated in seconds with a backpack leaf blower. They also cause global warming, constipation, occasional chem-trail appearances, and sterility in men. They should be banned from the earth! *end rant* 

Surprised to see most of Alaska is less gloomy than here. Must be the very long daylight hours up there during the summer.

Probably more like clear skies during the long, dark winters. I think summers in the arctic and subarctic can be pretty cloudy and wet.

And completely evaporated in seconds with a backpack leaf blower. They also cause global warming, constipation, occasional chem-trail appearances, and sterility in men. They should be banned from the earth! *end rant*

Sort of ironic since this is a great example of one. :P

• Like 1

Those are not for my back. Also I stick to brands that never let me down...Stihl for power equipment, John Deere everything, GM trucks, and Talenti for Gelato.

Stihl is the only blower brand that has let me down, lol.

The big RedMax is bulky but the new Echo is super comfortable. Air-conditioned back pad and arguably the most powerful backpack on the market today.

• Like 2

The PDO dropped down to -0.45 in October, way down from 0.41 in September. BTW Nate Mantua is not at the UW, the PDO page that he used to update there no longer updates. He is at swfsc.noaa.gov. and that is where you can find the latest pdo updates

The NOAA number is much lower than JMA calculation.

They use a different EOF to calculate it, and it’s much less representative of the process IMO.

Like I said before, the "blob" is not a bad thing, if it is in the right place. A negative PDO features a warm blob below Alaska (except just south of the coastline) The blob of a few winters ago was hugging our coast (positive PDO). The current PDO is -0.45

http://research.jisao.washington.edu/pdo/pdo_warm_cool3.jpg

The blob is only a reflection of the dominant low frequency mode of atmospheric circulation.

It has no influence on the pattern either way..so it’s not a “good” thing or a “bad” thing. It’s just a “thing”.

I agree with you about the emissions..that part blows chunks, pun intended. If I forget to bring a mask I’m coughing and even congested the next day. During dry stretches I can literally create a haboob if I’m not careful.

Unfortunately there is no alternative. Over 1/2 acre you’re talking about 1-2 tons of leaves at least..no way to get that done with a rake.

I get where they are necessary. I think they are often over relied upon for small projects that could be easily done with a rake though.

• Like 1

I get where they are necessary. I think they are often over relied upon for small projects that could be easily done with a rake though.

That’s definitely true. Also, many landscaping companies try to fit as many jobs as possible into their schedules to increase profit margins, and end up using their entire arsenal of blowers simultaneously for even the smallest lots in order to save time. That’s just how it works, unfortunately.

• Like 1

That’s definitely true. Also, many landscaping companies try to fit as many jobs as possible into their schedules to increase profit margins, and end up using their entire arsenal of blowers simultaneously for even the smallest lots in order to save time. That’s just how it works, unfortunately.

I’ve seen that many times around town here. You’ll have a group four or five guys, each with blowers, blasting away at a relatively small pile of leaves like it’s the StayPuft man from ghostbusters. Just seems wasteful, aside from the noise, smell etc.

For large properties, I am sure they have their place if used wisely.

• Like 1

I’ve seen that many times around town here. You’ll have a group four or five guys, each with blowers, blasting away at a relatively small pile of leaves like it’s the StayPuft man from ghostbusters. Just seems wasteful, aside from the noise, smell etc.

For large properties, I am sure they have their place if used wisely.

What I’ve found is, if you have a large lot and/or live in a heavily forested area, you can get away with using the blower maybe 3-4 times a year a most if you purchase a top-of-the-line backpack model. You don’t need to use it often. If you rely on a weaker model you’ll move less volume and have to use it more often to avoid overload.

What I do for our lot is use the lawn mower to mulch the leaves on the grass directly into the soil & let leaves accumulate elsewhere most of the year, then 2-3 times every autumn (and once every spring) use the blower to gather the leaves from the surrounding areas.

Otherwise those leaves would be flying everywhere in the winter winds, and my neighbors would be pissed as hell at me. :lol:

• Like 1

18z GFS Ensembles with a new twist. Heights/positive anomaly restrengthens and then the ridge/block retrogrades. The pattern isn't super favorable though. Definitely no change to a wetter, active pattern. Yakima ensembles shows potential for backdoor cold. It will be interesting to see if PNA/EPO flip to negative near or just after Thanksgiving. 00z GFS in 3 hours 43 minutes

Portland

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Portland_Oregon_USA_ens.png

Yakima

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Yakima_USA_ens.png

• Like 2

Could you survive for even a day without playing devils advocate just for the sake of doing so? :lol:

You’ve got it VERY rough around here! Strawmen, devils, advocates...

I get it, big guy. They’re loud, smoky and as a result can be a little obnoxious. Landscapers use them because they are quick. More jobs, more money. Not exactly a huge trip to get there.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

18z shows a goos snowstorm for central Oregon on day 13. Lock it in.

Hide your kids! Hide your wives!

• Like 1