July 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

The dewpoint sure ramped up around here today (74º now).  It was pretty nice this morning(64º).

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Anniversary of the hottest day in Nebraska history, July 24, 1934.

https://twitter.com/ntvskboughton/status/1286795205488848901?s=21

The low that night was 93°F. It was so hot that people slept outside that night. Here's a group of people that night on the capitol lawn in Lincoln.

neb.jpg

• Like 5

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

The low that night was 93°F. It was so hot that people slept outside that night. Here's a group of people that night on the capitol lawn in Lincoln.

I think it’s possible that Lincoln is the only place in the country outside of the Desert SW to have a 90+ low. Even swampy areas of the Deep South have high minimum records only in the mid 80s.

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

The current July mean here at Grand Rapids is 76.0 that is good for a departure of +3.5 and with just 7 days to go this month this should end up in the top warmest 15 July's of record. The official overnight low at GRR looks to be 63. Here at my house the low was 62. At this time it is 66 here at my house the the last reading at GRR was 67

Yuk, it's 80F with a 73F DP in MSP right now...ya, it's gonna be a toasty day! Stay cool @St Paul...and that goes for the rest of ya'll out west and north that are in heat advisories.

Yup its gross! I'm in in Vadnais Heights (St Paul) this weekend. When you walk out the door you are a greeted with a wall of thick humid air.
  • Like 1

That is an amazing piece of weather history. I'm an okie but in terms of plains weather history, that's a neat share.

• Like 2

I think it’s possible that Lincoln is the only place in the country outside of the Desert SW to have a 90+ low. Even swampy areas of the Deep South have high minimum records only in the mid 80s.

Yep. My state's highest low is °89F.

The humidity is the key.

It takes perfect conditions to accomplish a feat like that here.

• Like 2

If this were Winter, mid/late next week features a storm system that resembles a "Miller B Storm Track" as the models are latching onto the idea of a piece of energy exiting the Rockies and developing in the Plains while skirting due east underneath a GL's HP....suppression in Summer???  Sign of Blocking in the atmosphere in the months ahead???  Things to ponder on while we are in the midst of some mid Summer Heat....

B.jpg

gfs-ens_apcpna_us_3.png

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_21.png

• Like 1

Yuk, it's 80F with a 73F DP in MSP right now...ya, it's gonna be a toasty day! Stay cool @St Paul...and that goes for the rest of ya'll out west and north that are in heat advisories.

Fortunately this thick overcast is likely going to prevent us from getting close to the forecasted high of 92F, or the max heat index of 103. But it’s still oppressive for sure.

• Like 1

I've seen that photo a few times as well, probably in some of my wx books.

My grandpa was 26 in 1934 and farming in Central Nebraska. He said he slept outside many times in the 1930’s. Well before A/C and electricity in Phelps County. The biggest issue was bugs and mosquitoes. He died in 2005 at the age of 96.

• Like 4

Crazy day today, even at a Saturday in my homeoffice, but manage to escape for a bit. So, lets see.....its currently at 83F w a dew of 65F. Now, that is not bad at all. I am seeing some puffy, cumulus clouds, but it looks fairly decent out there.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Lets not forget about Hurricane Hanna about to hit south Texas at 80mph sustained winds. It is 80 miles southeast of Corpus Christi. This hurricane season is on an active start.

page-6-6.jpg?w=632

HannaTrack-5.jpg?w=632

HannaRain.jpg?w=632

• Like 3

Lets not forget about Hurricane Hanna about to hit south Texas at 80mph sustained winds. It is 80 miles southeast of Corpus Christi. This hurricane season is on an active start.

page-6-6.jpg?w=632

HannaTrack-5.jpg?w=632

HannaRain.jpg?w=632

It's definitely strengthening still. Winds look to be in the 95mph ballpark now.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Creepy photo :lol:

• Like 1

It's definitely strengthening still. Winds look to be in the 95mph ballpark now.

Maybe a Cat2, who knows?! I hope those people down there are ready to hunker down the storm. The wave surge will be a main concern there. Winds pounding the shoreline as Hanna approaches from the GOM will cause some devastating flooding.

Btw: I think there is more action brewing out in the eastern Atlantic.

• Like 1

The hottest official temperatures in Michigan yesterday were in the UP and northern lower Michigan the state high was 91 at Gwinn and Traverse City. It was 90 at Houghton, Iron Mountain, Marquette in the UP and Alpena in northern lower. Here at Grand Rapids the official high was 86. Here at my house I had a high of 89. The official overnight low at GRR was 70 here at my house I had a low of 68. The last reading at GRR was 72 and that is what I have here at the current time. I have a DP of 67.

It's one of those very warm, muggy, summer mornings here...77F/71F....a day where you "wear the air" as they say...it's my nieces B day today so I'll prob be spending more time indoors in the A/C!  Next weeks wx around the region looks much more tolerable with seasonal temps and comfortable DP's.

Edit: Today, ORD will likely hit 20 days of 90F or better for the season.

Another beautiful morning on my final morning in Missoula before I start heading for home (it'll still take 4 days). 53°F when I woke up, 58°F now. Heading to Bozeman today.

Enjoy the beautiful Rocky Mtn’s!

• Like 1

Enjoy the beautiful Rocky Mtn’s!

There's a dirt road through Mullan Pass that I always like to take as opposed to the highway. Puts my FJ Cruiser to the test, it's super fun and the view at the top is beautiful. I took a pic when I drove on it today, I can post it when I get home.

I'm in Helena now. 77°F.

• Like 5

It is not looking good for rain across most of Iowa.  The early line is mostly crapped-out and will only serve to ruin the evening chance.  I'd hate to waste such a hot and humid day.  After today, many in Iowa may not see another drop for at least a week.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

It's interesting that these same storm tracks keep repeating themselves with the southeast NE, especially S/SE of Lincoln getting the heaviest. I saw someone say not too long along ago that "rain begets rain" so this makes me wonder how much truth there is to that or if it's all coincidence. I'm sure it'll flip around come Nov/Dec and Northeast NE will be getting all the storms. Tonight, hopefully Omaha can still get a good 2-3". I went tubing with some friends on the Platte near Louisville yesterday, and the water levels seemed pretty low - our butts would drag on the bottom at times! 10/10 besides that and also getting fried in the sun! That sure hurts today. 

Tab2FileL.png?af05ad1b2892fbc8b835db7bcb

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Probably my only hope for storms now is the two small cells that recently popped up west of me. Very scattered as of now but I'm hoping it can quickly fill in and join up with the line over east central Iowa and give my parched location a downpour.

It really sucks I did not see a single drop of rain out of this front.

Front came through with no rain. Kansas again getting pounded. Forecast still calls for heavy rain, but I’m having my doubts. This was supposed to be a sure thing. Nothing is a sure thing when it comes to Mother Nature.

Looks like another miss here as all the action is pushing south, like a broken record. I am thankful for the .25 to .30 of rain that fell here this morning or else this would have been looking like a complete bust for the Omaha metro again.

• Like 1