December 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

Just now, MossMan said:

Apparently the autopilot deflated and couldn’t be blown back up and the plane crashed. RIP June Cleaver. Guess I’m watching something else now as I have been staring at that little dot in the corner for 10min now hoping the movie would come back on. 

IMG_1493.jpeg

What a terrific alternative ending. 😆

• Excited 1

7 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Only 39 today after a low of 35. What a wet year, 38 inches of rain since Nov 1! And 85 for the year.

20231231_204749.jpg

Your area was weird this year.  A lot of the state was quite dry up until this month.  Even at that many places ended up below normal.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Airplane is back on! New Year’s Eve is saved! In other news here is my total precipitation for the year. Almost 20” below my 5yr average of living here. 

IMG_1494.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1
  • Rain 1
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Looking at the 0z EPS vs the 12z you can see everything has torqued clockwise a bit.  That is usually a good thing as it means more back digging over the NW in many cases.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Your area was weird this year.  A lot of the state was quite dry up until this month.  Even at that many places ended up below normal.

The eastern slopes of Olympics and hood canal area has got massive precip this fall and winter.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

12 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Only 39 today after a low of 35. What a wet year, 38 inches of rain since Nov 1! And 85 for the year.

20231231_204749.jpg

IMG_0941.thumb.jpeg.0ee861319df2010c02f141f627662be8.jpeg

Completely different on the other side of the Olympics. My driest year since I moved here in 2017

• Like 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Looking at the 0z EPS vs the 12z you can see everything has torqued clockwise a bit.  That is usually a good thing as it means more back digging over the NW in many cases.

EPS is better. A step in the right direction 

• Like 3

EPS is better than last nights run with the second trough.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

The eastern slopes of Olympics and hood canal area has got massive precip this fall and winter.

The same thing happened to a lesser extent along the east slopes of the Cascades.  Another part of the state that bucked the dry trend.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 hours ago, Dave said:

Grey Goose is pretty yummy. From my many years of alcohol consumption, I've found that quality vodka is definitely easier on the hangovers than cheap asss shitt.

Ugh....My one and only bout with alcohol poisoning was when I had 6-7 solo cups of screw drivers over the course of a day. (I was about 16-17 at the time.)  To this day, I can't touch vodka, and I very rarely drink orange juice (I think I can count the number of times on one hand.

I'm more of a whisky and high end tequila drinker now....$60-70+ bottles, so needless to say, I don't drink too much.

• Like 3

Could someone perhaps post a weatherbell map of the snow totals of the entirety of the ECMWF run? 

• Like 4

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Ugh....My one and only bout with alcohol poisoning was when I had 6-7 solo cups of screw drivers over the course of a day. (I was about 16-17 at the time.  To this day, I can't touch vodka, and I very rarely drink orange juice (I think I can count the number of times on one hand.

I'm more of a whisky and high end tequila drinker now....$60-70+ bottles, so needless to say, I don't drink too much.

I played a drinking game with roomates once and got alcohol poisoning. Vomited for a whole day. Mostly bourbon 

• scream 1
  • Sick 2

2 hours ago, Mercurial said:

Great area to grow up in though.  My mom grew up in Philipsburg on acreage with horses... was always super jelly.

I know that area well, my wife's family homesteaded the Flint Creek Valley near Hall back in the 1800's (whenever that area was settled) and the ranch is still in the family today.  IN fact, the original log cabin is the core of the current main house (there have been 3-4 different additions).  They own a good chunk of the land in the canyon north of P-burg up towards Maxville on Hwy 1.  I would place pretty good odds that your mom's family and my wife's family at a very minimum knew of each other. 

I almost tried to drag my wife back to that area for a Controller job at Ranch at Rock Creek, but the property around P-burg consisted of either million dollar log cabins up on the ridges overlooking the valley, or $40,000 trailers or houses that should be condemned.

I love that area a lot, and could totally see myself living the ranching life....well maybe not now at my age, but when I first married my wife, we used to go back alot and I helped out on a few cattle drives.   Very hard work but very much worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave said:

Sunriver absolutely kicks asss. Probably the only upscale high elevation community in the state. You have super easy access to Mt. Bachelor and are only minutes away from probably the most geologically interesting area of the country, Newberry Crater. Sunriver has great bike paths and is close by to many lakes, rivers, and some terrific fishing. Plus it gets tons of snow. I've been there many times. I've seen pics where the snow is up to 6 feet deep. What's not to like? It is super expensive, but if you've got your roots planted there, you're in great shape.

Oh yeah for sure, I love sunriver and don't take it for granted, it's an absolutely amazing area, in my opinion its the best town in oregon, but I also love the whitefish area, and do miss it sometimes. I'm a very regretful person even over things I shouldn't really regret, I guess that's just how I am. 

• Like 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

Both the GFS and EC showing a couple inches of snow for here. Would be a wonderful way to remember this winter.

• Like 5
  • Snow 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I had to skip a couple of pages, so I don't know if this was commented on, but looks like MIchael Snyder is NOT on board at this time.  He's not ruling it out completely, but does not see a proper alignment of the stars for anything more than things cooling off and mountain snow.

I'm not really feeling it either.  I don't know if that is a protection mechanism for myself knowing we are in a Nino, but I almost feel like we need a pool to figure out how close we get to "go time" before the rug pull happens.

I'm just glad to get back to at least having it drop into the 30's at night.

Happy New Year everybody!!!!

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Happy New Year!! 
If you are a smoker…Don’t quit just yet! BECAUSE ITS COMING!! 

IMG_1497.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!