1/8-1/10 Panhandle Hook

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

You can see that warm lake influence on the 12z GEFS map....

image.png

Some big hits in MO/C IL...

1.png

One thing I don't like seeing is the brutal gradient somewhere near the IN border, which is showing up on most guidance (maybe except for the GGEM).  I suppose if anybody in IN pulls out a decent snow, it could be me with how far nw I am.  

• Like 2

snku_acc-imp.us_c.png

Not bad for MBY.  About 4-5" total.  Only about 1.5" from the WAA band and then another 2-3" from the main event Tuesday.  If this were to nudge just a little more NW then totals will really increase. 

• Like 3

The Euro trend is northwest at 12z, southeast at 00z.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Just now, Clinton said:

Chicago looks gold.  You should fly back for it.

This ain't the one...I think there are better chances forthcoming...I have to be picky!  My dad is flying out of PHX around 1 pm and has an arrival time around 6 or 7pm....ya, I think he's gonna be delayed or cancelled.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom said:

This ain't the one...I think there are better chances forthcoming...I have to be picky!  My dad is flying out of PHX around 1 pm and has an arrival time around 6 or 7pm....ya, I think he's gonna be delayed or cancelled.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

He might want to wait and see about the follow up storm 😉

So much going on its making it hard to work!

• Like 2
  • lol 1

Just now, Hoosier said:

He might want to wait and see about the follow up storm 😉

I'm at a crosshairs bc that storm is going to be loaded up over here in the mountains!  Very cold and lots of juice...I've been doing some reserach and hearing that the winds are intense when strong storms blow through.  This one coming up on the weekend on Sunday is supposed to bring 40-50mph wind gusts.  This storm has no comparison to what the next weekend system should deliver.  I've seen winds up to 80mph near Flagstaff that were reported last year.

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 11.33.10 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Windy 1

Worth noting that while this system has finally uncoupled itself from the Aleutian low, it still won't be over land and get more data inputs until it moves into the PNW around 12z tomorrow. I'd imagine we will start seeing a narrowing of potential outcomes over the next 24-36 hours. Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be surprises.

image.png

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jayhawker85 said:

Snowing pretty good clip here in Leawood with snow sticking on the grass and now streets. It’s gently fat wet flakes! Can’t wait to see this x100 on Monday!

Goodluck to us all.  It's going to be a beautiful sticky snow!

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Timing is everything...The Snow God's are listening!

Not here in southeast Michigan.  Was lookig pretty good for a half way decent snowfall with this upcoming storm but as always

ends up being mostly rain.........what a dissapointment (again).

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Worth noting that while this system has finally uncoupled itself from the Aleutian low, it still won't be over land and get more data inputs until it moves into the PNW around 12z tomorrow. I'd imagine we will start seeing a narrowing of potential outcomes over the next 24-36 hours. Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be surprises.

image.png

image.png

I saw a report that the Us Air Force Hurricane Hunters will be flying inside the storm today taking samples. If thats the case, that means we will have "true" data which will be loaded into the weather models. By 00z tonight the data suite is likely to be much more accurate than all previous guidance runs.

Screenshot_20240105_131108_Facebook.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

12z EPS looking a bit better for many spots vs 00z run...

image.png

It's better, overall, for many, but it's actually drier for northeast Iowa.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Yeah I find it a bit harder to comment on runs on this side of the forum vs when I was on the PNW side. In the PNW, while you can have wildly varying outcomes due to topographical differences (among many others), we were all in a relatively small geographical area so you could generally apply a "this run is better" comment to the majority of members. Over here, we are all much more spread out and often times a "better run" for one person's backyard usually means a worse run for someone else's. Makes it much harder to paint in broad strokes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Yeah I find it a bit harder to comment on runs on this side of the forum vs when I was on the PNW side. In the PNW, while you can have wildly varying outcomes due to topographical differences (among many others), we were all in a relatively small geographical area so you could generally apply a "this run is better" comment to the majority of members. Over here, we are all much more spread out and often times a "better run" for one person's backyard usually means a worse run for someone else's. Makes it much harder to paint in broad strokes.

That general idea is always hard for me too. My excitement is your detriment, and visa versa. I don't know if its possible for everybody in the Plains to get a good dump from the same storm. 

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

29 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The Euro is backing off on the WAA wave in eastern Iowa.  But was stronger with the deformation band.  It's possible we whiff on both yet, but right now I'd think 2-4" is going to be our forecast in the Cedar Rapids area. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

Goodluck to us all.  It's going to be a beautiful sticky snow!

I’m starting to get a little more excited. Columbia is in a good spot even according to the European model. Just don’t want to see any big shifts. Suppose to get pretty cold Tuesday night so what sticks will be set. Good luck to you to Clinton. You’re not too far from me. 

• Like 1