January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

So many awesome February’s I have lost count! 
And 7 great February’s in a row now, hopefully 8 in a row! 

IMG_2098.jpeg

IMG_2100.jpeg

IMG_2101.jpeg

IMG_2102.jpeg

IMG_2103.jpeg

IMG_2104.jpeg

IMG_2105.jpeg

• Like 7

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

too bad we could not have had this deep snow cover during the Arctic outbreak this past weekend. would've def broke cold records.  landscapers just got done plowing/blowing my driveway and the sidewalk out front.  looks like definitely more than 8" along the edges of the sidewalk

Colder here today than yesterday and about the same high as Monday at 33.5F. Tomorrow looks like another interesting day with most areas hanging right around freezing. Looks like a chance for snow with the GFS showing up to 3" and the other models dropping from there. Not really expecting anything, but I'd take it if it happens. Right now I'm hoping I can get a decent freeze tonight to solidify my snow a bit. 32.0 currently with a forecast low in the upper twenties.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Just now, Skagit Weather said:

Colder here today than yesterday and about the same high as Monday at 33.5F. Tomorrow looks like another interesting day with most areas hanging right around freezing. Looks like a chance for snow with the GFS showing up to 3" and the other models dropping from there. Not really expecting anything, but I'd take it if it happens. Right now I'm hoping I can get a decent freeze tonight to solidify my snow a bit. 32.0 currently with a forecast low in the upper twenties.

The difference with tomorrow is colder upper levels and a deeper offshore flow. 

• Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

5 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 8.16.03 PM.png

Not sure I buy that.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm most interested on whether my kids' schools are going to be delayed tomorrow. If it freezes up and is still freezing at 6 am, then yes. Not sure what's going to happen overnight. Side roads are glittery now, but it looks like we're flirting around the 32/33 mark and there's only a thin layer of ice and slush that would need to melt. Waiting for the Euro so I have a better range to work with. (And not looking beyond 6 am tomorrow. Yet.)

3 minutes ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

I'm most interested on whether my kids' schools are going to be delayed tomorrow. If it freezes up and is still freezing at 6 am, then yes. Not sure what's going to happen overnight. Side roads are glittery now, but it looks like we're flirting around the 32/33 mark and there's only a thin layer of ice and slush that would need to melt. Waiting for the Euro so I have a better range to work with. (And not looking beyond 6 am tomorrow. Yet.)

Schools already delayed up here. The question is whether they'll actually open considering I don't think it will be that much warmer by late morning. Not sure how side roads are at the moment, but I think most main roads are fine.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

And?

I wonder if he was referring to how long the GFS holds onto the cold at the surface.  Can't figure out why it's been doing that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

The ground is so cold that even if you hover right above freezing the roads will probably not improve unless the city, county, or state work on them. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

The ECMWF has been indicating temps will drop a couple later tonight.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I wonder if he was referring to how long the GFS holds onto the cold at the surface.  Can't figure out why it's been doing that.

I'm not that confident over here for much. It will snow some but maybe just 1-2

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

5 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Schools already delayed up here. The question is whether they'll actually open considering I don't think it will be that much warmer by late morning. Not sure how side roads are at the moment, but I think most main roads are 

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

The ground is so cold that even if you hover right above freezing the roads will probably not improve unless the city, county, or state work on them. 

Main roads will get work, secondary roads, might. Tertiary roads won't be addressed. And the school buses have to navigate some of those even with snow routes. I heard some districts are already calling for a delay, but ours will wait until 5:30 or 6 to make the decision. Which is good, I guess so we don't miss time if it does melt. I just hate setting my alarm for 5 when I could have slept in. (Unless there's snow. I'll wake up early for snow. That's not a problem. But it's not going to be snow.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Schools already delayed up here. The question is whether they'll actually open considering I don't think it will be that much warmer by late morning. Not sure how side roads are at the moment, but I think most main roads are fine.

Yeah the side roads around my place are still unplowed and quite slick. Not sure about up north though. Guess I will find out when dropping off my daughter at her school in Mt Vernon two hours later than normal. 

IMG_2078.jpeg

• Like 1

All of the models are trying to get something going late month.  Still a lot to be sorted out.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

All of the models are trying to get something going late month.  Still a lot to be sorted out.

Wouldn’t that be something…

• Like 1

Still snowing lightly…Crazy! Definitely was not expecting that. 

IMG_2108.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Holy . Just got home from work and North Bend got hit just as hard, if not harder than last year. Unfortunately a huge portion of my Japanese maple fell down. The yard is a mess. RGEM is nails for the east wind events here. More tomorrow. image.thumb.jpeg.2bde72d8f4be1702ad32d4e283e00ad6.jpeg

Dude I'm worried about that area and other places near the cascades,  strong east winds should get going and there should be a good shot of more zr. Still a bunch of very cold air in passes.