February 2024 Weather in the PNW

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Upper levels definitely cooling, things don't look to transition to snow for at least a few hours per models.

Yeah I was going to say…it’s still pretty early. I do get snowmizers point about past events compared to this. It’s quite an evaporative cooling event if it does happen. You and him should be totally fine this evening…but I’m still not sure about here even with the euro showing over 1”

1 hour ago, HuskyMaestro said:

Since Jan 2022 in my backyard, I’ve gotten 2.1” but it was also pretty spotty across the area. That 0.1 coming from this winter lol. I wish I took better measurements overall, it was before I discovered this forum. I got around 10” in 2019 and that was incredible. 

Fife is along the river valley and is surrounded by higher hills with Tacoma to the west and Milton to the north. Immediately to the northwest is the port and the sound where it’s easier for warmer air to funnel into Fife and Puyallup in marginal events which we get a lot. That’s just my layman’s experience with living here and watching rain/snow lines on radar, I’m sure there’s more to it. But I can’t wait be done with college and hopefully move somewhere in WA that’s snowier ☃️

Your avatar should say Fife anti snow dome!

• lol 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Yeah I was going to say…it’s still pretty early. I do get snowmizers point about past events compared to this. It’s quite an evaporative cooling event if it does happen. You and him should be totally fine this evening…but I’m still not sure about here even with the euro showing over 1”

Ya, it's definitely not a slam dunk situation but it is more ideal than at any other point this winter at least out this way.

Edited by GHweatherChris
  • Like 2

Ended up with a 46/31 day here. Wintery. Morning freezing fog then mostly cloudy with east winds kicking in and dropping dewpoints by late morning.

Precip started up by early afternoon and we have since dropped to 37 degrees with LOTS of positive splats on the drive home. Should be interesting to see how tonight plays out.

• Like 5

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

15 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

No I'm comparing this to many events I've studied the last 30 years. This will be incredible if it plays out like models show.  

The wind here sure feels right for you to get snow.  Currently 41 with a dp of 20 with no precip falling.  I think it will kick in there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is a super weird situation. All the normal indicators, like temp and dewpoint, say this should not be a situation where we'd expect snow.

That being said, I get weird skin irritation when we get cold dry air and its been driving me nuts all day. Plus, I have ponies, and they are super good at knowing when they need more of a certain type of hay to generate extra needed warmth, and they have been going nuts over it for a couple days now. Plus my dog, who is also super weather sensitive, has pushed out some extra warm coating the last few days. I feel like the animals that are designed to know ahead of time when snow and cold might hit are preparing, and they obviously don't give a crap what the models say.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

18 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I'm going with a 50% chance of a complete bust even here. If it does work out it would about be the most impressive cooling event I can remember. 

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

00Z NAM has updated.

nam-nest-washington-total_snow_kuchera-8063200.png

That's wild, like 4~5" here if that verified. Seems like some of the recent models have upped the amount of moisture jumping north of the Olympics. There was light snow in Victoria this morning at 41F. It evaporated almost instantly when it hit the ground. Pretty amazing to see snow at such warm temperatures.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

This is a super weird situation. All the normal indicators, like temp and dewpoint, say this should not be a situation where we'd expect snow.

That being said, I get weird skin irritation when we get cold dry air and its been driving me nuts all day. Plus, I have ponies, and they are super good at knowing when they need more of a certain type of hay to generate extra needed warmth, and they have been going nuts over it for a couple days now. Plus my dog, who is also super weather sensitive, has pushed out some extra warm coating the last few days. I feel like the animals that are designed to know ahead of time when snow and cold might hit are preparing, and they obviously don't give a crap what the models say.

Unfortunately my dog does not think it’s coming…

IMG_2632.jpeg

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

20 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I'm going with a 50% chance of a complete bust even here. If it does work out it would about be the most impressive cooling event I can remember. 

This type of setup used to happen alot for you and I no more than 10-15 years ago, the lost art form is trying to make a comeback!

• Excited 1
  • bongocat-test 1

I think the problem we are seeing so far tonight is the low level cold air has arrived so recently it hasn't had a chance to really get itself entrenched into the areas that would normally benefit from a pattern like this.  I think it is still going to happen for the Kitsap Pen though.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

18 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

This type of setup used to happen alot for you and I no more than 10-15 years ago, the lost art form is trying to make a comeback!

2007-08 was epic for both of you iirc. More marginal for many other spots in the lowlands.

41 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

The pony thing is really intriguing.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

2007-08 was epic for both of you iirc. More marginal for many other spots in the lowlands.

Ya, that was a fun winter, tons of 3-4" surprise snowfalls here that I called the NWS about when they happened.  

Edit- I also was not a part of this forum in 2007-08 winter, but if I remember correctly 2010-11 was very similiar.

Edited by GHweatherChris
  • scream 1

9 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

41 stupid degrees here lol. Feels dumb talking about 8 inches of snow tonight.  My gut doesn't feel it.

On 12/28/96 we got up to 38 degrees, I thought the incoming storm was going to flop because of it…About 5 hours later we were back in the teens with snow starting to fall. Of course we had cold air to work with during that event, but moral of the story is temp really doesn’t matter much when it comes to setups like this, just have to be patient and let the cooling work its magic! 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

23 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Except for 1880 when they had 54 inches on the ground.

Yup.  That is an actual measurement too.

Even places like Fife do fine in a truly legit winter.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Ya, that was a fun winter, tons of 3-4" surprise snowfalls here that I called the NWS about when they happened.  

Edit- I also was not a part of this forum in 2007-08 winter, but if I remember correctly 2010-11 was very similiar.

I definitely remember Snowmizer scoring a lot in 2007-08 in particular.

3 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

2010-11 had something for just about everyone here.  Numerous snow events.  We had a great one in November here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, DeepFriedEgg said:

El Nino in Madison, WI:

+1.2 F Nov 🔥

+9.5 F Dec 🥵

+3.5 F Jan 🔥

+13.1 F Feb 🥵🥵 so far with more 40s and 50s on the way (Avg high is around freezing)

Indeed.  We have missed the worst of it this winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I definitely remember Snowmizer scoring a lot in 2007-08 in particular.

That winter was beyond frustrating for me.  Just a few miles from here they got buried and we had many days of minor slush accumulations.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9