April 2024 Weather in the PNW

6 minutes ago, iFred said:

What are the ratios? Do you think Kuchera applies here?!

We might need Phil to get involved with this complex discussion. 

• lol 2
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

13 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes... its been an average April so far with a ridiculous amount of complaining and whining.  

Anyone who mentions enjoying this average April weather is met with disdain and scorn like they are cheering on the death of the entire ecosystem.   😀

Unpleasant mix of severe climate anxiety and know-it-all, in-your-face virtue signaling.  

Below average Precip. In some places well below. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

36 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

I bet there is a huge glacier on the other side

Probably much much more snow under the trees. At least during a normal snowpack year. Hiking in the Cascades for years, the differences in snowpack between the north side of an exposed peak and the south side can be pretty shocking.

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

And also well above average temps so far for many spots. And that trend looks to continue.

My temps have been pretty normal. Precip is way below normal. Not many cold or wet anomolies the last month...

image.png.3471a944df2ad36b5fbbb32b311cfdc9.png

image.png.9fc3f6ebb3df8f4f0e793996c476d3c1.png

• Like 1
  • scream 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

2 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

My temps have been pretty normal. Precip is way below normal. Not many cold or wet anomolies the last month...

image.png.3471a944df2ad36b5fbbb32b311cfdc9.png

image.png.9fc3f6ebb3df8f4f0e793996c476d3c1.png

Looks warm and dry for the region the last 30 days. Not too much of a shocker there.

6 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

And also well above average temps so far for many spots. And that trend looks to continue.

Most spots are within a degree of normal. PDX once again representing the extreme in one direction. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

A forum for the end of the world.

1 hour ago, iFred said:

I mean, unlike you, I don't hate America, so I hope BYD doesn't sell cars in the United States without a proper review from the WTO.

I've got a Model S, it drives great, plenty fast, and a 10% to 80% charge takes about 15 minutes at a Supercharger. Charging at home means that I rarely have to think about range, but when I have to during a road trip, I hit about 400 miles.

While I don't agree with your stance that Mao was actually a great guy or that America would be a much better nation had the Wobblies lynched Bill Boeing (again, your views, not mine), I do agree with you that the Cybertruck looks like garbage. Well, that one giant a** wiper blade, cheap interior, and carrot shaving edges. Looking forward to the company getting a new CEO one day soon.

I wish my grandfather was still alive to see EVs. He had a depression era mindset and was obsessed with gas prices. When his old beater car broke he got a Prius and loved the gas mileage of that thing. I guarantee he would have a Model 3 right now and would have figured out where all of the free level 2 charging stations are located. 

• Like 2

Really hoping we can turn the corner on this early onset to the warm and dry season heading into May.

Maybe similar timing to the big pattern flip at the end of last April, but in the opposite direction. Probably just wishful thinking there.

39 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Below average Precip. In some places well below. 

Indeed... its been basically normal in terms of temps but drier than normal.    

SEA is at -0.6 for the month.   

BLI is at -1.4 and HQM is at -0.3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Spring leaf out progression coming along nicely along the I-90 corridor.   Better than the last 2 years for sure as we have had some more sustained warm periods which is closer to climo... as April stats for the Seattle area indicate.

SE_56thELSP_SE (1).jpg

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 hours ago, Tanis Leach said:

So I have someone on the Mt. Bachelor conditions page claiming that thunderstorms are getting more common in Central Oregon. I was under the impression that there is no trend (based on what I was told in classes) or maybe a slight decrease. Can anyone confirm or deny either side of this?

I know who you are talking about. Kinda a nut job. 

• Like 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Indeed... its been basically normal in terms of temps but drier than normal.    

SEA is at -0.6 for the month.   

BLI is at -1.4 and HQM is at -0.3

SLE, downtown Portland, and Seattle WFO also all within a degree of average. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

The EPS weeklies keep the MJO very active through the end of May. Not seeing much of a niña low pass signature here, but it’s possible the model is too slow to fade the residual niño elements.

Either way, with the MJO/subseasonal elements dominant over background/low frequency elements, there should be lots of pattern variability. At least until the niña base state emerges more cleanly.

IMG_1980.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sick 1

Also interesting we’re seeing the more stable IO/E-Hem forcing again going deeper into spring. This tells me the +AMO/+IOD regime is likely here to stay through the summer.

IMG_1975.png

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Also interesting we’re seeing the more stable IO/E-Hem forcing again going deeper into spring. This tells me the +AMO/+IOD regime is likely here to stay through the summer.

What does that mean for summer?

• Popcorn 1

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

No surprise. Mt. Si is 4,167 feet high. Permanent snow and ice does not generally start in the Washington Cascades until a peak is well over the 6,000 foot mark.

Here it doesn't start until over 12,000 feet in general. 

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Really hoping we can turn the corner on this early onset to the warm and dry season heading into May.

Maybe similar timing to the big pattern flip at the end of last April, but in the opposite direction. Probably just wishful thinking there.

We have modest +dAAMt ongoing with the MJO propagating through the WHEM, so when the current pattern break down at least it will be into something wetter and more progressive. But it will only last for a few weeks given the active MJO/subseasonal forcing(s).

The dryness so far this spring is a result of residual niño elements in the general circulation (STJ, relatively higher AAM equatorward in-situ w/rt climatology) and seasonally-dependent projection(s) of the MJO. But I don’t see anything suggesting this year will be a dry tinderbox up there. Usually you’d see those red flags showing up in the tropics/general circulation by now, if so.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

What does that mean for summer?

It suggests there will be a lot of Indian Ocean tropical forcing this summer (RMMs looping in phases 1-4). How that translates into the extratropics depends on the time of year and the ENSO evolution.

• Popcorn 1

Some flakes mixing in here currently.

• Like 4
  • Snow 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Spokane since January

Temps:

Jan: -1.8

Feb: +3.2

March: +2.0

April to date: +4.9

Precip:

Jan: +.11, Snow -2.7

Feb: +.59, Snow -2.9

March: -.85 Snow: -0.5

April to date: -.22 Snow: +0.4

yeah is been pretty warm so far in 2024. trending drier into spring and less snow than normal in Q1.

In Summary for 2024 to date

Temp +2.1

Precip: -.37

Snow: -5.7

when you only average around 16" of precip a year, anything negative makes a big difference in water table and usage/restrictions 

49 minutes ago, Phil said:

It suggests there will be a lot of Indian Ocean tropical forcing this summer (RMMs looping in phases 1-4). How that translates into the extratropics depends on the time of year and the ENSO evolution.

meaning.........??????????

• Like 1