Christmas Eve Potential Major Winter Storm

Tom

A bit off topic, but the dying piece of energy still giving us snow in Central Iowa.  Much more than was anticipated.  Anywhere from 1 1/4" to 2 1/2" throughout the metro.  So, don't give up hope...the models can be wrong even 12 hours out as nobody here was expecting more than a half inch in the DSM metro.  Happy Festivus to the Iowans!!!

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Sorry to the Chicago folks on here,,, especially the suburbs to the west.  From the LOT disco this AM:

IT APPEARS THAT MANY AREAS ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS MAY SEE LITTLE
IF ANY SNOW OUT OF THIS SYSTEM...AND THIS COULD POSSIBLY BE THE CASE
INTO PORTIONS OF THE CHICAGO METRO AREA AS WELL. THE BEST CHANCES
FOR SNOW NOW LOOK TO BE ACROSS NORTHWESTERN INDIANA AND ADJACENT
AREAS OF EASTERN ILLINOIS.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I work graveyard.  I will go to bed when my shift ends. Just stating what is posted from local NWS sites. This site at times is so much "wish casting" --  truth is at times hard to discern. Seems when something is posted that says no/little snow for a certain area-- it gets blasted. Just trying to keep it real.

• Like 1

I'm so glad this system will pass and we will move on lol. It's been impossible to track and keep up with since day 1. Right when there was some consistency with the models they changed at the last second. While the Euro did stay steady the last couple of days it wasn't very consistent before then.

• Like 3

Man, this storm really pooped the bed.  No cold air, strung out energy, etc.  Time to move on to the next clunker. ;)

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I'm so glad this system will pass and we will move on lol. It's been impossible to track and keep up with since day 1. Right when there was some consistency with the models they changed at the last second. While the Euro did stay steady the last couple of days it wasn't very consistent before then.

Well said.

I can't find any reports of snow from this system.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

from LOT:

ITS LIKELY THAT THE PLENTIFUL CONVECTION NEAR THE GULF COAST YESTERDAY INTO LAST NIGHT
PLAYED A ROLE IN A FARTHER EAST LOW PRESSURE TRACK THAN
EXPECTED...AS WELL AS DISRUPTING THE MORE RAPID INSENSIFICATION OF
THE UPPER LEVEL AND SURFACE CIRCULATION. THIS IS KEY BECAUSE THE
DRIVER OF WHAT WAS ANTICIPATED TO BE A FLIP TO WET SNOW WAS
DYNAMIC COOLING IN AN INTENSE FGEN DRIVEN DEFORMATION BAND TO
OVERCOME THE MILD LOW LEVEL TEMPERATURES

• Like 1

jerry taft of wls tv just said that two scenario that 1 no cold air to help with the storm and 2 there wasn't no moisture to feed into the storm.

Storm did not develop quick enough, therefore it didn't generate it's own cold air and that caused the shift east. I would say as far as consistency, the EURO and GGEM did the best. All the models messed up on the snowfall accumulations though.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"