February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Latest IR loop. Notice, one, how much of the storm is still offshore. Surface low way to our S. Deformation band to its N-NE where we'll see heaviest snowfall. But what about those lows forming to the N-NW of today's storm. I have a hunch that these lows are spinning up and travelling along the stationary boundary over western Oregon, thus not allowing a Pacific system to drive in from the W-SW directly and ending our cold air. A *HUNCH* here is that we *MAY* see another system later Saturday that could be significant and may not warm us up as much as models are showing. NWS has hinted at this as well in past several AFDs. 

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?ir4km+12

Oh my.... I'm almost speechless at the idea.

You are just starting to get into the action now.      I am thinking a DZ is going to pummel your area later.  

Yeah, it'll be close I think.  We were right on the edge of the sweet spot yesterday, but the synoptics for this system are quite a bit different.  Just gonna have to let it play out.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Quite an amazing few days for PDX.  And SEA gets completely screwed.

I think I'm officially ready for Spring now. :0

Tons of rain first.

The ECMWF has the jet plowing into us for the next week starting on Monday.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah, it'll be close I think.  We were right on the edge of the sweet spot yesterday, but the synoptics for this system are quite a bit different.  Just gonna have to let it play out.  

Your kids are probably old enough now that they will remember this one for a long time!   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This would be the intensity of the snow per 3 hr totals ... I only did it to 3" but here is the general outline ...

And this is only if that batch of moisture moves northeast like the satellite shows, which is against most models.

Upper Left - 4pm

Upper Right - 7pm

Lower Left - 10pm

Lower Right - 1am

Looks like the sound does have snowfall, the most centering from Seattle at the north end ... and Olypmia at the south end ... of course the heaviest tonight at The Dalles ...Other images I did not shown shows the same over the Southern Sound areas at 4am so i'd assume if that happened the area would get 1-2" of snow overnight ...

The scale for the colors -

Magenta - 3" in a three hour period

Dark Blue - 2" in a three hour period

Light Blue - 1" in a Three hour period

Green - 0.1 - 0.5" in a three hour period

You can add it up from there ...

Based on the current radar things look to be a bit ahead of schedule but overall this is a very good indicator. Nice! :)

Just saw a pic on FB of Ice flows on the White River near Auburn

D**n

Driving past the Stilly I noticed ice chunks flowing down that river as well!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Dewpoint in Bellingham is dropping... back down to 8.

Northerly flow picking up across the Sound.   

Offshore gradients from the east are much lighter today.     Yesterday the SEA-EAT gradient was -10.1 and today its at -2.9 so the east wind is non-existent out here today.   

Must be related to the different dynamics Dewey mentioned with today's system.

25" snow depth at EUG being reported.  :o

This is old-school epic for Eugene.    First the incredible drought and heat... and now the most incredible winter possible.   

Northward progression of the moisture has not slowed down at all per radar.

Looking at the coastal radar... I am now interested.    Looks like the fun is just rolling right towards you.   

Latest IR loop. Notice, one, how much of the storm is still offshore. Surface low way to our S. Deformation band to its N-NE where we'll see heaviest snowfall. But what about those lows forming to the N-NW of today's storm. I have a hunch that these lows are spinning up and travelling along the stationary boundary over western Oregon, thus not allowing a Pacific system to drive in from the W-SW directly and ending our cold air. A *HUNCH* here is that we *MAY* see another system later Saturday that could be significant and may not warm us up as much as models are showing. NWS has hinted at this as well in past several AFDs. 

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?ir4km+12

I've been thinking about the same possibility.

One thing I know. When it is 23, DP 19 in Eugene with a NNE wind, we are pretty far from a warm up out here.

I say that about Hoquiam during our events.   

That is pretty insane.   

Of course PDX could be 45, DP 42 and you could still be in the deep freeze out there with this set-up!

Your kids are probably old enough now that they will remember this one for a long time!   

Definitely.  My son is starting to act a lot like I did back during some of the snows of my youth.  I think he's gonna be another weenie.  I quizzed him last night about December 2008 and I was impressed with how many details he could recall.  

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Seattle nws talking about some new things going on of our coast. There thinking some snow is looking like it will happen tonight south of seattle.

I'm liking how this is working out. We're keeping the cold longer. A bit of a reinforcing wind out of the north going on and now moisture is still coming up from the south. Sounds like a party to me.

Looking at the coastal radar... I am now interested.    Looks like the fun is just rolling right towards you.   

I have been watching this like a hawk today. Progression has been very favorable for us. I am starting to get excited about actually getting 2 inches or more tonight. 

I have been talking about it all day.  

This thing is ripe for surprises not shown in the models.

I do not use the models when things are less than 24 hours out. I primarily use IR and Radar to track this stuff. It is often the better indicator than any model. 

I'm liking how this is working out. We're keeping the cold longer. A bit of a reinforcing wind out of the north going on and now moisture is still coming up from the south. Sounds like a party to me.

That is true... with the re-establishment of the north winds through the Sound it could set up some kind of convergence with the moisture streaming in from the south.

Two hrs ago my dew point was up to 21, but I just checked it again and it is down to 13!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!