November 2015 Observations and Discussion

Geos

Thanks. I knew about this site.

That PNA prediction is lower than the chart on the CPC's site.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I vote for the Euro only further south. :-)

The EURO is a much better look for real storms.  GFS is just rip roaring progressive garbage.  Sure its showing way below normal temps but that pattern is not gonna produce anything other than a nuisance snow.  Euro look has potential

Long range GFS is crazy. Wow

Sorry, but these extremely vague non-specific posts are extremely annoying. Show what you are referring to or maybe take a min to spell it out. Thx

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Man, can this weather get anymore depressing? It's literally like walking outside into an evanescence album. It's cloudy, windy, and misting. Love the precip, but absolutely hate this 39 degrees and rain.

I am with you. I know a lot of people hate cold a dry but there is nothing worse that 39 degrees and rain in any month.

Man, can this weather get anymore depressing? It's literally like walking outside into an evanescence album. It's cloudy, windy, and misting. Love the precip, but absolutely hate this 39 degrees and rain.

I'd take the 39 degrees part. Lol. I sweated for awhile early this morning at work and then had a tornado warned storm pass directly overhead. Pretty exciting morning.

• Like 1

GFS/EURO starting to show a nice Split Flow pattern Week 1-2 as we close out November.  Heading towards the new JMA monthlies/EURO/CANSIPS 500mb pattern for December.  A deep trough should form south of the Aleutians and "hand off" pieces of energy into the west coast.  So long there is ridging in Central Canada, things are going to get pretty wild.

• Like 1

This thread has been quiet pretty much all day, everyones all focused on the snowstorm on Friday. But lets talk about what happens after that. Right now, snow prospects don't look too promising after Friday for awhile. Another storm is expected on Thanksgiving Day, but it seems to be a rain maker at this point. How are things looking for the last days of November after the storm on Friday?

East Asian/Bearing Sea Rule seem to be panning out for the Thanksgiving storm system.  The storm that just hit Japan wasn't really a wound up storm suggesting a sheared storm, maybe a 2 part storm with one wave heading up into the Upper Midwest then another piece that may lag behind and develop into something.  If all the energy can come out all at once, then it will be quite a significant storm system to hit the central CONUS.  Post-storm, the coldest air of the season hits and it might be colder than what we saw last November.  If there is a snow cover in the Plains/Upper Midwest, some places are going to see insane cold for the time of year.

NASA's arsenal to track Winter storms this season...

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--AI6lUPx8--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1524882946549640850.jpg

Here's the article...http://gizmodo.com/winter-is-coming-and-this-nasa-aircraft-will-help-study-1743225063?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

• Like 1

Looking ahead, I'm going to be frustrated if I let people talk me into going too warm for December. Lol. Regardless of absolute numbers, there's the best signal for intense cold I have seen in a long time with a potential suppressed storm track over TX/OK/AR. I wouldn't mind starting December out like that. Not at all.

Looking ahead, I'm going to be frustrated if I let people talk me into going too warm for December. Lol. Regardless of absolute numbers, there's the best signal for intense cold I have seen in a long time with a potential suppressed storm track over TX/OK/AR. I wouldn't mind starting December out like that. Not at all.

In a long time.  How about the last 2 winters?

I meant that early in the winter. I guess you could count last November if you wanted but that's not really winter.

Definitely gonna be some cold days but I highly doubt we see cold with the staying power the GFS was showing a few runs ago.  It has lightened up on it considerably.  Euro has as well.   NAO and AO could rage in december.  EPO flips back positive it will be hello pacific air.  

Long range starting to look more el nino like.  Basically when it should be.

With a peak wind gust of 49MPH and a high temp of  yesterday was yet another warm and windy day here in GR. And for the month GR now has a mean temp of 51.0 and that is +8.4.  With that mean temp of 51.0° the next item of interest is just how much will GR lose during the upcoming cool down? The all time record warmest November here was 47.6° in 1931 with 46.8 in 2008 being the second warmest. 

Oh I don't doubt at all that the cold was overdone quite a bit yesterday. No way is it going to be 11 down here in eastern Oklahoma on December 4th. Lol. But the overall pattern screams cold at least from what I can see and I believe most of the 10-15 degree fluctuations at such long leads are primarily due to the model estimates of snowcover or lack thereof and what to do with the typhoon over the pacific. Typhoons tend to hurt the skill scores at long leads in both models if I'm not mistaken. I'm still looking for an AO drop around mid month but will probably get kinda warm before that.

Windy day so far. Sun is out, but isn't helping it feel much warmer. Near steady temperature since sunrise. CAA going strongly.

Soil temps have taken a tumble as well. Snow should stick without problem tomorrow night.

Colder waters should upwell along the west coast of Lake Michigan today.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"