West Coast Sports Talk and Other Banter

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I see lots of chatter online from people saying the NFL should cancel the rest of the season... and the playoffs and the Super Bowl.     Just seems like a massive overreaction.    Thousands of people would be put out of out work from stadium and team support staff to TV broadcast support staff.  Do other companies shut down for good when an employee has a heart attack while working?

The NFL resumed play 10 days after 9/11.   This was a very rare and tragic incident resulting from a totally normal football play. I don't think Damar Hamlin would want the NFL to shut everything down. 

We live in an interesting time with social media.  

It’s pretty silly to even suggest canceling the season. Football as it stands right now is not at the forefront but the show must go on. “Next man up” has always been the NFL’s mentality. 

Social media these days an age is quite a phenomenon and it has so much influence in decision making. 

Also, given the tragic event of Hamlin, I absolutely do not blame the players for wanting maximum contracts and as much guaranteed money as much as possible. You never really know when your last snap, pitch or bucket is going to be. This is something that players and agents will argue for going forward when it comes to negotiating contracts.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Logic seems suspect here, given that social media existed for both these games.

Players are carted off the field all the time. A player does not go into cardiac arrest and need CPR to stay alive, with an ambulance right next to him, pretty much ever in the NFL.  

There was real time social media in 1971??

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Cloud said:

It’s pretty silly to even suggest canceling the season. Football as it stands right now is not at the forefront but the show must go on. “Next man up” has always been the NFL’s mentality. 

Social media these days an age is quite a phenomenon and it has so much influence in decision making. 

Also, given the tragic event of Hamlin, I absolutely do not blame the players for wanting maximum contracts and as much guaranteed money as much as possible. You never really know when your last snap, pitch or bucket is going to be. This is something that players and agents will argue for going forward when it comes to negotiating contracts.

I totally agree about the players getting as much as they can.   

I was thinking about all the utility workers who were restoring our power last week in very dangerous conditions doing very physical work... they probably don't get paid enough.  

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I totally agree about the players getting as much as they can.   

I was thinking about all the utility workers who were restoring our power last week in very dangerous conditions doing very physical work... they probably don't get paid enough.  

The bolded can be said the same for many occupations.  It is sickening how individuals that have a real impact on day to life and making sure we can all live safely and comfortable are underpaid.  So many different categories of jobs that pay 💩 but are more important than sports stars and movie stars on a daily basis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

Logic seems suspect here, given that social media existed for both these games.

Players are carted off the field all the time. A player does not go into cardiac arrest and need CPR to stay alive, with an ambulance right next to him, pretty much ever in the NFL.  

Probably like 7 people were watching at that point of the Citrus bowl vs the biggest NFL game of the year. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I guess my point about the citrus bowl was it was absolutely pointless

to continue that game and they did. 

• Like 1

Regardless of social media, it seemed like the players and staffs of both teams drove the decision making process last night. I don’t think there was an unusual occurrence manual for this, and the NFL juggernaut got caught a bit flatfooted. Now, there will likely be a bit of an overreaction thanks to Newton’s third law. It is 2023, after all. 

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Professional athletes are the most coddled people in our society today. Sure they are people and their feeling matter to a point. But they are well compensated for the risks they take. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Like 1

I am concerned about Jeremy Renner. Dude was doing a good deed and almost lost his life. Great actor. Love the Hurt Locker and Wind River. Didn’t even know he was in that Marvel BS. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I am concerned about Jeremy Renner. Dude was doing a good deed and almost lost his life. Great actor. Love the Hurt Locker and Wind River. Didn’t even know he was in that Marvel BS. 

My wife would leave me for him in a heartbeat.

• Excited 1
  • lol 1

28 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Regardless of social media, it seemed like the players and staffs of both teams drove the decision making process last night. I don’t think there was an unusual occurrence manual for this, and the NFL juggernaut got caught a bit flatfooted. Now, there will likely be a bit of an overreaction thanks to Newton’s third law. It is 2023, after all. 

I think most of the criticism the NFL got for this was the 5 minutes warm up period. Whether or not it was true that the NFL told the teams to be ready in 5, it got relayed down to the teams. Burrow was even seen warming up. In the end, it was the right decision by the players and staffs to overrule and said “Nope, we’re done playing tonight.”

Jesus…how would you like it if a co worker of yours that you have worked closely with for at least 2 years and might even have become your best friend suddenly went into cardiac arrest and you witness CPR being done on him or her for 10 minutes straight, then getting hauled away in an ambulance not knowing if they are alive or dead… Meanwhile your boss says you have 5 minutes to get back to work…Yeah. I don’t care if you make minimum wage or millions, the emotions would be the same. And I would be saying F you, I am more concerned about a human life over my job at that moment. 

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 hours ago, MossMan said:

Jesus…how would you like it if a co worker of yours that you have worked closely with for at least 2 years and might even have become your best friend suddenly went into cardiac arrest and you witness CPR being done on him or her for 10 minutes straight, then getting hauled away in an ambulance not knowing if they are alive or dead… Meanwhile your boss says you have 5 minutes to get back to work…Yeah. I don’t care if you make minimum wage or millions, the emotions would be the same. And I would be saying F you, I am more concerned about a human life over my job at that moment. 

I totally get the outrage over the 5-minute break thing.   There have been many times when an ambulance/medical cart has come out and everyone is on their knees and shocked and but then play resumes immediately.   The HUGE difference this time was CPR.   As soon as that was known... then the NFL should have immediately canceled the game.  There was no way those players could have resumed the game in that emotional state.

Earlier I was pointing out the inevitable overreaction on the other side.   Imagine in your scenario after the ambulance leaves and the boss says we are shutting down the entire company across the country for at least a year to take time to process someone having a heart attack.   Hope nobody actually needs their salary to feed their family.   

But then you could say the entire idea of football is pretty barbaric.   Its sort of like the Romans putting men into battle and actually fighting to the death just to entertain the masses in the gladiator games.   How far have we really come?  Now we pay them lots of money but still demand they go right back into battle.   On Sunday there will be a full slate of games with players pounding each other to the ground again and we will be flipping around on our remote  and enjoying every minute on Sunday Ticket.

• Sad 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Side note... the NFL is saying that they never suggested a 5-minute break.   Maybe that came from the officials on the field who were confused by what to do next?

7 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I totally get the outrage over the 5-minute break thing.   There have been many times when an ambulance/medical cart has come out and everyone is on their knees and shocked and but then play resumes immediately.   The HUGE difference this time was CPR.   As soon as that was known... then the NFL should have immediately canceled the game.  There was no way those players could have resumed the game in that emotional state.

Earlier I was pointing out the inevitable overreaction on the other side.   Imagine in your scenario after the ambulance leaves and the boss says we are shutting down the entire company across the country for at least a year to take time to process someone having a heart attack.   Hope nobody actually needs their salary to feed their family.   

But then you could say the entire idea of football is pretty barbaric.   Its sort of like the Romans putting men into battle and actually fighting to the death just to entertain the masses in the gladiator games.   How far have we really come?  Now we pay them lots of money but still demand they go right back into battle.   On Sunday there will be a full slate of games with players pounding each other to the ground again and we will be flipping around on our remote  and enjoying every minute on Sunday Ticket.

This was discussed over and over again on another community I was in and ultimately, the NFL actually did the right thing in NOT canceling the game immediately. I believe there are SOPs in place whether it be this kind of event or any other but canceling the game immediately would cause massive traffic jams and would hinder first responders in getting Hamlin to where he needs to be. I'm pretty sure that they made sure him and his family were at the hospital first before postponing the game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Side note... the NFL is saying that they never suggested a 5-minute break.   Maybe that came from the officials on the field who were confused by what to do next?

Who to believe here? Joe Buck mentioned on the broadcast multiple times that the 5 mins break came from the league office. So I'm gonna say the league was lying when they say they never suggested it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Not me.

On 1/3/2023 at 9:18 PM, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Professional athletes are the most coddled people in our society today. Sure they are people and their feeling matter to a point. But they are well compensated for the risks they take. 

Like the NFL players whining about playing Thursday nights on only 4 days rest.  

This will be an incredibly inspirational story assuming he pulls through and a lesson in how well CPR can work and save someone's life and their brain functions.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Sounds like Hamlin is breathing on his own, talking, flexing his biceps, and joined the Bills team meeting on FaceTime! Such great news! 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

On 1/5/2023 at 4:08 PM, TigerWoodsLibido said:

This will be an incredibly inspirational story assuming he pulls through and a lesson in how well CPR can work and save someone's life and their brain functions.

It was definitely a piece of the puzzle, but it’s probably the AED that deserves most of the credit. 

• Like 2

My wife is convinced that it was “The Jab” that caused Hamlin’s heart to stop. I had to remind her that people’s hearts have stopped prior to the COVID vaccines. Oh and she is also convinced that Dori Monson also died because of the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

My wife is convinced that it was “The Jab” that caused Hamlin’s heart to stop. I had to remind her that people’s hearts have stopped prior to the COVID vaccines. Oh and she is also convinced that Dori Monson also died because of the vaccine. 

Just read recently somewhere that the latest studies suggest up to 100% of those vaccinated against COVID-19 will eventually die.

• Like 1
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

Watch closely during today’s Seahawks game. The NFL not only wants Rodgers in the playoffs but they also want the Sunday Night Football to really mean something and to that winner moves on loser go home excitement about it. The refs today will to everything they can to make sure the Seahawks lose. MBG! The NFL DOES NOT want Geno Smith over Aaron Rogers in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Watch closely during today’s Seahawks game. The NFL not only wants Rodgers in the playoffs but they also want the Sunday Night Football to really mean something and to that winner moves on loser go home excitement about it. The refs today will to everything they can to make sure the Seahawks lose. MBG! The NFL DOES NOT want Geno Smith over Aaron Rogers in the playoffs. 

I am totally ambivalent today.    No stress... I am fine if Seahawks miss the playoffs because they don't really deserve to be there.  

• Excited 1

24 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am totally ambivalent today.    No stress... I am fine if Seahawks miss the playoffs because they don't really deserve to be there.  

I just cannot stand A-Rod. I wish he would retire already. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I just cannot stand A-Rod. I wish he would retire already. 

Yeah... I am cheering strongly for the Lions today even if the Seahawks lose.

• Like 1

The end of the Texans-Colts game was insane.    The Texans were down to 4th and 20 and scored a TD and then went for 2 and the victory which handed the #1 pick to the Bears.