December Observations and Discussions

gosaints

GFS shows temps cooling in the 11-15 day range.

Falling AO, PNA, and NAO will change things, especially stopping system from heading towards Lake Superior and into Ontario.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

A number of the Euro ensembles are showing significant snow in the next 15 days.  Most of this though falls in the 10-15 day range, so probably not very reliable, but it's definitely trending better than it was a week ago when almost all members showed nothing in 15 days for much of the midwest.

http://i.imgur.com/yGRS1sE.jpg

• Like 2

I never said that I thought it would shift SE. I can hope it will but don't honestly think either way about it right now. If you don't think it will verify further SE of where it was at on that particular run, you explain why.

There's nothing that would favor a shift to the SE. It's not like there's a big block up north.

There goes my snowstorm. Just way to warm for any significant snow. Sure it's nine days out but these marginal temperatures are a death sentence. Might not see my first flake until January if one of these projected storms in the second half of December don't produce but instead bring raw rain.

There's nothing that would favor a shift to the SE. It's not like there's a big block up north.

Remember the teleconnections are changing...

I think the medium range changes are the beginning of the step towards a slightly different pattern across North America. One where the flow isn't so zonal.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Its early in the winter season and things could change but IMO we could be looking at a winter more like the one that happened in 1931/32 then 1982/83 or 1997/98.  In 1931 September was +6.2 (September 2015 was +4.4) October 1931 was +4.8° (October 2015 +1.1°) November 1931 was +7.5° (November 2015 was +5.4°) December 1931 was +6.6° (first 5 days of December 2015 are +5.7°) January 1932 was +9.8° February 1932 was +5.0° and then winter came in March of 1932 when it was -7.2° and 25.3” of snow fell. Note the above was for Grand Rapids, Michigan at the old airport that was about 10 miles west of the new airport. But I took a quick look at Des Moines, Iowa for the winter of 1931/32 and the pattern there was the same as Grand Rapids but with less snow in March.  So at this time until the pattern really changes (if it does) this winter could be like the winter of 1931/32 (remember no two winters are exactly alike.  But at this point in time that is the way I see this winter playing out. 

00z Euro with a classic Lower Lakes bomb that develops in the Texarkana region of the deep south and then deepens into a 971mb SLP near SW MI.  Insane.  Heading in the right direction.  Looking better organized this run.  Let's see how this baby evolves.

• Like 2

That lead system coming out of the Rockies over the weekend will be critical to where the baroclinic zone sets up and allow the second stronger piece of energy to ride up that frontal boundary.  Nasty SE ridge developing during this period and a -AO/-NAO will help this storm dig.  In early Nov, this cycling system ended up shifting farther SE every day as we got closer to the day of the storm.  Gary Lezak made points about how the larger scale systems this season have been trending that way.  Will it do the same this time around???  We'll have to see.  I will say this, every run over the last couple days, the Euro has been pressing farther south with the lead system.

Meanwhile, many Euro members suggest the Plains getting hammered with this particular storm system.  There is another system on its tail that the EPS is picking up on that cuts up towards the Lakes 3 days later.  

Euro/GFS Ensembles not backing down on a -AO pattern...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

Here's a quote from Gary Lezak regarding next week's system...

The AO is forecast to dip into negative territory next week, and I have seen some model runs start to block up the pattern. It is something we have to monitor closely as it could have an impact on next week’s storm.

Very dense Fog around here this morning.  Flights into ORD have been circling around for the Fog to lift.  One flight missed the approach while trying to land due to the heavy fog.  This season has been one of the foggiest one's I've seen in a very long time...I don't recall any other year in recent memory that would compare to this one.

@ Gabel, I hope those folklore's pan out!

On another note, I wonder how long the models keep showing the N PAC ridge to continue to fire up.  All models showing it popping Day 6 and not letting go.

00z EPS Day 10-15 mean...this pattern will continue seeding Siberian air into NW NAMER and spill down into the west/central CONUS.  Meanwhile, the -AO blocks up the hemispheric flow and can get very interesting to produce some big time storms.

• Like 1

That lead system coming out of the Rockies over the weekend will be critical to where the baroclinic zone sets up and allow the second stronger piece of energy to ride up that frontal boundary. Nasty SE ridge developing during this period and a -AO/-NAO will help this storm dig. In early Nov, this cycling system ended up shifting farther SE every day as we got closer to the day of the storm. Gary Lezak made points about how the larger scale systems this season have been trending that way. Will it do the same this time around??? We'll have to see. I will say this, every run over the last couple days, the Euro has been pressing farther south with the lead system.

Meanwhile, many Euro members suggest the Plains getting hammered with this particular storm system. There is another system on its tail that the EPS is picking up on that cuts up towards the Lakes 3 days later.

Euro/GFS Ensembles not backing down on a -AO pattern...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

Here's a quote from Gary Lezak regarding next week's system...

The trend towards the pattern repeating towards the south and east is something I was trying to make note of in a previous post. As blocking increases throughout the latter half of December and on into January the pattern almost certainly has to evolve that way. Especially if we see a PV split. Not saying or even implying we'll all see instant cold or anything like that but progress is nice to see. Wouldn't mind keeping a weaker version of the SE ridge around for the winter but don't think it will happen.