August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Only 64° as of now. Hard pressed to make 70° with all these clouds.

No doubt.   As usual the models are overly-optimistic with low clouds clearing after a solid marine push.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

General trend is upward starting next week...

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Seattle_USA_ens.png

Interesting.

Ensemble mean is clearly trending in the same direction. And the ECMWF lends some support as well.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Stop throwing insults!!!!

:)

You have to understand that accusing someone of having "a stupid little vendetta" against you sounds a bit...childish?

You've been known to post misleading prognostications filled with hyperbole, are stubborn and defensive when questioned, and resort to personal insults. Just in the last three days you've suggested that I have Aspergers, that I can't read, and that I can't understand English. All because I disagreed with you about weather matters on a weather forum. You're a smart guy and the stuff you post can be very interesting. But it can be even more interesting if you throw in a little humility and keep your mind open for learning opportunities.

• Like 2

You have to understand that accusing someone of having "a stupid little vendetta" against you sounds a bit...childish?

You've been known to post misleading prognostications filled with hyperbole, are stubborn and defensive when questioned, and resort to personal insults. Just in the last three days you've suggested that I have Aspergers, that I can't read, and that I can't understand English. All because I disagreed with you about weather matters on a weather forum. You're a smart guy and the stuff you post can be very interesting. But it can be even more interesting if you throw in a little humility and keep your mind open for learning opportunities.

Who started this argument?

Random warm anomaly fact of the day: if PDX hits 70 tomorrow, I believe it would be the only time other than the scorching summer of '67 that we failed to record at least one high in the 60s in July or August.

Good find. Looking back real quick, 1967 had no maximums below 73 in July or August. That's pretty amazing. 

If PDX doesn't hit 70 tomorrow, it will be the 3rd straight year where that station only recorded one maximum in the 60's in July & August combined. This also happened in 2014 (68 on 7/23) and 2015 (69 on 7/25). 

Good find. Looking back real quick, 1967 had no maximums below 73 in July or August. That's pretty amazing. 

If PDX doesn't hit 70 tomorrow, it will be the 3rd straight year where that station only recorded one maximum in the 60's in July & August combined. This also happened in 2014 (68 on 7/23) and 2015 (69 on 7/25). 

Wow. Highs in the 60s were much more common in the 90s and maybe 2000s then? I recall that 60s weren't THAT uncommon. To be honest and on a semi-related note, it seemed like the 90s had far more active weather than we had have recently. Maybe it's a case of rose tinted glasses but I'm not so sure...

Cry me a river. I haven't "insulted" anyone today to a greater extent than I have been "insulted" myself. Stop whining.

If you're going to throw backhanded (and forehanded) insults at me, you should expect retribution. :)

Wow. Highs in the 60s were much more common in the 90s and maybe 2000s then? I recall that 60s weren't THAT uncommon. To be honest and on a semi-related note, it seemed like the 90s had far more active weather than we had have recently. Maybe it's a case of rose tinted glasses but I'm not so sure...

In July/August, highs in the 60s at PDX were only slightly more common 20 years ago. A lot of years had less than 5 or 6 those 2 months.

The big exceptions in the 90s were 1993 and 1999, both with 11 highs under 70.

Highest in the past decade is 2010 with 7.

A forum for the end of the world.

We went from June 23 to September 10 that year without a high in the 60s, interrupted by a high of 69 on the 11th. Had we squeaked out a 70 that day the streak would have extended to the 28th... what a ridiculous summer.

Cry me a river. I haven't "insulted" anyone today to a greater extent than I have been "insulted" myself. Stop whining.

If you're going to throw backhanded (and forehanded) insults at me, you should expect retribution. :)

Ha! Own your hyperbole. If you want to be dramatic to make your points then its best to understand how that can be perceived by people. It might come back on you later. Like -10F depatures by the 10th. You wanted to get everyone's attention. It worked. :)

The 1993 to 1998 period was generally pretty dynamic and interesting for us down here. Countered by the extreme dullness of the years that immediately followed.

These stats are just a reflection of how warm our last three summers have been. We also haven't had enough cold troughing in the July 1-10 and August 20-31 time periods, which is when a lot of years score a high in the 60's.

Ha! Own your hyperbole. If you want to be dramatic to make your points then its best to understand how that can be perceived by people. It might come back on you later. Like -10F depatures by the 10th. You wanted to get everyone's attention. It worked. :)

You're the king of hyperbole, my friend. I was just describing a model run verbatim, nothing more. I even explicitly stated that wasn't my forecast.

You always claim myself and others have a vendetta against you... Statman hit the nail on the head

Yeah, I was about to say.

Pot meet kettle.

You always claim myself and others have a vendetta against you... Statman hit the nail on the head

Just you and Jesse.    Phil does not have a vendetta against me at all.     

You're the king of hyperbole, my friend. I was just describing a model run verbatim, nothing more. I even explicitly stated that wasn't my forecast.

Got our attention.   :)

Phil, aren't there any weather forums for the mid-Atlantic region? Maybe the NE?

Why would I discuss PNW weather/climate in an out-of-region thread?

Considering the majority family currently lives in the Seattle area, I'm actually quite interested in the regional climate, considering I might actually be moving there at some point.

Considering the majority family currently lives in the Seattle area, I'm actually quite interested in the regional climate, considering I might actually be moving there at some point.

If this were the case one would think you'd be interested in learning its nuances as opposed to reflexively going to insult mode when someone tries to hand you some useful information.

Tends to support the fact this is probably BS and this just happened to be the only forum you could plant roots in and build an audience given your past transgressions.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

How often do you see snow in your area?

Every winter. Sometimes lots of it and sometimes just a little.

Snowed endlessly here in 2007-08 for example... 150+ inches.

Barely anything in 2013-14.

I don't believe you. And even if that was true, they're not you. 

It just seems weird for someone living on the East Coast to focus so much time and energy discussing weather in the PNW. Wouldn't you rather spend this much time and energy talking about the weather in your own region, with people from your own region? That's why I asked. That's the dynamic we have on this forum, outside of you of course. Even Front Ranger lived here until adulthood, which would explain his interest in posting here. 

• Like 2

If this were the case one would think you'd be interested in learning its nuances as opposed to reflexively going to insult mode when someone tries to hand you some useful information.

Tends to support the fact this is probably BS and this just happened to be the only forum you could plant roots in and build an audience given your past transgressions.

I have to say I agree with this. 

I don't believe you. And even if that was true, they're not you.

It just seems weird for someone living on the East Coast to focus so much time and energy discussing weather in the PNW. Wouldn't you rather spend this much time and energy talking about the weather in your own region, with people from your own region? That's why I asked. That's the dynamic we have on this forum, outside of you of course. Even Front Ranger lived here until adulthood, which would explain his interest in posting here.

Forum is open to everyone, not sure what kind of point you are trying to make.

• Like 1