September 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Finally an overcast day! I feel the need to celebrate this.

First day since..... sometime in March? (not counting convective days, completely different animal in meteorology)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

The GFS ensemble continues to look colder for early October.  Nice looking trough depicted for that time.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow, long range opens up the faucet with more than 5" of rain. Good thing that changes every 6 hours. :D

Phil, 2007 had decent snowstorms here though, so that wouldn't be bad. I don't know how it was further south though.

It sucked below 800 feet down here.  We can do much better than that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That's a pretty wicked trough next Saturday on the euro. 850's may drop below 0 with that.

That kind of pattern in a cold ENSO October is always a good sign for winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

SEA managed to sneak up to 63 late today... only got a -2 on the day.

I guess we weren't due for a significant cold anomaly day.

Portland put up a healthy -5 and 'owned' SEA again.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

SEA gets owned on a regular basis when it comes to cool anomalies...

I guess that's true now.  It didn't used to be to such an extent.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I have noticed that the ECMWF has had a tendency to be too aggressive lately in the 7-10 period.   

Here is what the middle of next week looked like earlier this week...

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls20/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls20-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-z9bbre.png

And now the same time from the 12Z run now that its 5 days away...

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls19/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls19-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-L12fjh.png

The trough it shows now on day 8 might be close enough to hold up though.  Its very impressive looking.   

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls20/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls20-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-Tfhun6.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I have noticed that the ECMWF has had a tendency to be too aggressive lately in the 7-10 period.

Here is what the middle of next week looked like earlier this week...

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls20/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls20-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-z9bbre.png

And now the same time from the 12Z run now that its 5 days away...

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls19/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls19-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-L12fjh.png

The trough it shows now on day 8 might be close enough to hold up though. Its very impressive looking.

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls20/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls20-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-Tfhun6.png

Hmmm...

Models tending to be too aggressive with anomalies in the long range. We should probably look into this.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Hmmm...

Models tending to be too aggressive with anomalies in the long range. We should probably look into this.

Sort of bored... watching a 10-1 Mariners win.  :)

The 0z GFS is majestic with the block as of day 6.  I am really liking this.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 0z GFS is majestic with the block as of day 6.  I am really liking this.

Looks good at 192 hours... actually higher heights and drier than the 12Z run at that time but the block looks much nicer.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/namer/500_vort_ht/gfs_namer_192_500_vort_ht.gif

Thicknesses drop to 537 on this run.  It kind of sucks after day 10, but that's too far out to worry about yet.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just south of my location, very sad indeed. Been listening to the scanner for over an hour, still haven't found the suspect 

Anyone care to say what's going on?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Tim is gonna love this GFS run.

Volatile situation...  can't count on anything.   I just wonder if we are going to flip to a warm pattern for October though.   Would not surprise me if the most important month to predict winter ends up being warm in the West just to make people worry.   Long range models certainly have been hinting at that happening.

Anyone care to say what's going on?

A shooter at Cascade Mall in Burlington.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Tim is gonna love this GFS run.

I certainly do up until day 10 or so.  I'm not too worried about the longer range given the recent trend of the models to prolong the troughing and shorten the ridging as the time frames narrow.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I certainly do up until day 10 or so.  I'm not too worried about the longer range given the recent trend of the models to prolong the troughing and shorten the ridging as the time frames narrow.

That could change again... July was like that and then August seemed to stay ridgy longer than the models showed.    Could certainly go back to that in October.   

I certainly do up until day 10 or so. I'm not too worried about the longer range given the recent trend of the models to prolong the troughing and shorten the ridging as the time frames narrow.

I think there will be a period of ridging in October, but how long it lasts is another question, in my opinion.

The GFS starts the process faster than I've been thinking, but then again I've had a slow bias all summer, so yeah.

I think there will be a period of ridging in October, but how long it lasts is another question, in my opinion.

The GFS starts the process faster than I've been thinking, but then again I've had a slow bias all summer, so yeah.

There could be, but that GOA ridge has been incredibly resilient this season.  October is the month I'm really pulling for, because of the historical link of cold Octobers to cold winters with cold ENSO.  Let November torch all it wants.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I bet the ensembles are weaker with the ridge in the long range.

Ya think? :lol:

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

There could be, but that GOA ridge has been incredibly resilient this season. October is the month I'm really pulling for, because of the historical link of cold Octobers to cold winters with cold ENSO. Let November torch all it wants.

I think if anything, the opposite has been true in recent years. Note that the higher-performing -ENSO winters this century (2008/09, 2010/11, and 2013/14) were fairly ridgy in October, while the crappier -ENSO winters (2005/06, 2007/08, 2011/12) were generally troughier and/or zonal.

Also, the Octobers preceding 1978/79 and 1988/89 were generally warm/ridgy. So, I don't think there's a huge correlation here.

Terrible. We (as a species) have a problem, and I think it's innately primal.

I know this is a tad off topic but this evening before the shooting my wife, daughter and myself were at a local restaurant having dinner and I kept thinking to myself what if someone comes in and starts shooting, what is our best exit routes, ect...not exactly a fun relaxing time. Then we get home and hear about the mall shooting which is only 20 minutes from us and at a place I have been to many many times through the years. I just don't like being out in public anymore which I guess means the bad guys have won. This country really needs to look at the mental health crisis instead of looking the other way.

Anyway back to weather...

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I know this is a tad off topic but this evening before the shooting my wife, daughter and myself were at a local restaurant having dinner and I kept thinking to myself what if someone comes in and starts shooting, what is our best exit routes, ect...not exactly a fun relaxing time. Then we get home and hear about the mall shooting which is only 20 minutes from us and at a place I have been to many many times through the years. I just don't like being out in public anymore which I guess means the bad guys have won. This country really needs to look at the mental health crisis instead of looking the other way.

I think the issue is when you have 320 million people in a country then the likely hood of things like this can happen. It seems know a days people who get bullied, or picked on there whole lives know take there anger out in violence and by killing people. It's really scary how teenagers can get there hands on weapons very easily. The sad truth of our reality is that know a days violence is a way of life and unfortunately (Police/Regular citizens can take a life away. Even in places with low population you have to be aware of your surroundings. Mental illness is another issue of it's own but as you said they need to do something about it. We shouldn't be afraid to go out and enjoy our lives but that's what it's coming too.

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Couldn't agree more. The mental health aspect is quite complicated, unfortunately. Thoughts don't physically exist, and asserting who should/shouldn't have access to a gun based on hypotheticals could open multiple cans of worms.

I've also found myself analyzing my surrounding environment on a more frequent basis, almost subconsciously. Hopefully one day I won't have to.