January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

18z HRRR just initialized... Literally shows zero precip in the whole northern half of the state over the next 5 hours! :blink:

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

SEA is up to 32 already at 11 a.m.

A certain person was actually attacking people for even suggesting it could get above freezing there today.    35 was beyond ridiculous.    Lets see what happens.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A certain person was actually attacking people for even suggesting it could get above freezing there today. 35 was beyond ridiculous. Lets see what happens.

It became obvious a couple days ago the cold was going to bleed in like it so often does

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The models I've looked at since Saturday showed the arctic front not moving the cold air in until tonight.  It looks delayed now half a day or so.  Front temps are moving into S BC, Hope has lost 5* since midnight with 5* dewpoint with the cold air filtering south.  I hope the NAM is wrong, forecast single digit lows for Abbotsford tomorrow night.  That air is already up the Fraser and Coquihalla.  Looks like it is spilling through into Omak and Spokane valley as well. 

Majorly delayed since what we were looking at in the models Thursday/Friday.  If the wind stays up, single digit lows for Abbotsford seem pretty unlikely.  Wind sheltered areas quite possibly as the snowcover is pretty extensive over there. 

A certain person was actually attacking people for even suggesting it could get above freezing there today.    35 was beyond ridiculous.    Lets see what happens.   

Seattle or SeaTac? SeaTac is 32. The Seattle obs is always wayyy warmer than SeaTac.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

So not Woodburn but Newberg. You're still north of that main band.

That is why I said North of Woodburn. Keep up. I've had several bands roll over me this morning. Started to stick just a little bit. But since then it's been constantly snowing per radar with just a few flakes falling.

Why is this so difficult?

Yea if I had to make a forecast I would put accumulating snow west of west hills and south of hwy 26. Maybe even south of 212/224 east of I-205.

Agreed. Likely just a flurry storm here in the west hills.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Sunbreak!

Flurry storm cancel!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Haha. Oh man, I may have screwed up in my name choice. Oh well.

Was just going to say you're doing your name justice. We're all friends here!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Now THAT is a total mind ****. I don't buy it having an effect on our Arctic Blasts.. but goddamnit anything is possible.

Portland just had its wettest December ever in 2015 and wettest October ever 2 months ago in 100 years. It's only going to get worse. Right now its the worst it's ever been.

"China starts 2017 engulfed in smog, issues pollution alerts

With air particulate levels well above WHO recommended levels, flights cancelled, highways closed"

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/china-new-year-smog-1.3918388

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

Nothing is making it north of the river. That much is a known quantity.

Word dog...

Cold Season 2023/24:

Majorly delayed since what we were looking at in the models Thursday/Friday.  If the wind stays up, single digit lows for Abbotsford seem pretty unlikely.  Wind sheltered areas quite possibly as the snowcover is pretty extensive over there. 

NAM was accurate for us last time on temps, NWS forecast lows of 20 and 18 we had 14 and 11 and that was when most of the snow was blown out.  pressure differential is narrowing as the low moves/weakens so the wind should calm down as forecast.  Snowcover is everywhere.  I don't want it that cold.  But crap it is cold up the valley.

You mad bro girl?

Haha! Still so upset about the 5" of snowfall I got yesterday!

Cold Season 2023/24:

New 12Z ECMWF says there will be a transition event on Saturday evening in Seattle... might mean snow for the playoff game at 5 p.m.   :)

Sunday is a rainy mess for everyone on that run.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

At a glorious 36 here and climbing. Shooting for 38 to 40 today... This is way better than I ever anticipated. I think we all be remembering this one for a long time. 

I've got 42.8 in the shade here in the swamp.

I will admit when I am wrong.  I called for a high of 35 today.  This event is a bust for me.