3/13 - 3/14 Midwest/Lakes Snow System

Tom

Picked up another 1"...total so far from the 2-day system is a whopping 11.2"...snow depth about 9"...I would be lying if it doesn't look and feel like mid January out there!  Currently 20F with a N wind sustained at 18mph and gusty.  Where was this all winter???  Ah, we always got next year!

Lot's of reports of 5-9" of snow since last night.  I'm at 7.7" of pure LES.  Many locals around my place picked up 5-8".  More to come as another band will likely hug E Lake/E Cook county through the morning/afternoon!

This event has to top the list as my favorite LES event.  The snowfall rates were so intense and it basically snowed on/off all night since 8:30pm when it really started to accumulate.

• Like 1

Sucks to be a snowlover in NYC/Boston as the models are suggesting a more inland Blizzard.  That would suck to wake up and expecting heavy snow but your getting heavy sleet or rain!

2-3 Feet in Upstate NY and E PA...

C63iLc3WoAANp9D.jpg

Sucks to be a snowlover in NYC/Boston as the models are suggesting a more inland Blizzard. That would suck to wake up and expecting heavy snow but your getting heavy sleet or rain!

2-3 Feet in Upstate NY and E PA...

C63iLc3WoAANp9D.jpg

Congrats on the snow tom!! Boston has scored so many coups in a row they were due for a rainer/sleeter.

Congrats on the snow tom!! Boston has scored so many coups in a row they were due for a rainer/sleeter.

The LE made up for the lousy winter down here.  Curious to see what ORD records.  I've always been a little skeptical about their measurements sometimes.  I remember during the winter of 2013-14 there were a couple big systems in January where neighboring cities had more snow than ORD which did not make any sense.

Speaking of the Blizzard, a bombing storm so close to the coast would have a westward bias.  They have had a great run so it's time they share the wealth to their neighbors!

The LE made up for the lousy winter down here. Curious to see what ORD records. I've always been a little skeptical about their measurements sometimes. I remember during the winter of 2013-14 there were a couple big systems in January where neighboring cities had more snow than ORD which did not make any sense.

Speaking of the Blizzard, a bombing storm so close to the coast would have a westward bias. They have had a great run so it's time they share the wealth to their neighbors!

Ya especially with the long duration event I could see ord with a lowball

The LE made up for the lousy winter down here.  Curious to see what ORD records.  I've always been a little skeptical about their measurements sometimes.  I remember during the winter of 2013-14 there were a couple big systems in January where neighboring cities had more snow than ORD which did not make any sense.

Speaking of the Blizzard, a bombing storm so close to the coast would have a westward bias.  They have had a great run so it's time they share the wealth to their neighbors!

I heard on radio this morning it was 2.9" at ORD

Not sure when that was reported to the station but that seems low

At 7:00am Elk Grove Village reported 5.6. Very interested to see what ORD shows

I heard on radio this morning it was 2.9" at ORD

Taking a look at LOT's snowfall report, ORD record 1.7" at 10:45pm last night which is a little less than what I had during that time.  It snowed hard just after midnight throughout the night.  Would be shocked if they got anything less than 6-7".

What time was the 2nd band to hit us?

I'd say between 10:00-11:00am...

That band over the western side of the lake seems to be coming together nicely. If it can hold together it could be a decent hit for a few locals.

Looks promising...the band is certainly showing signs of strengthening and turning into another long plume.  Reaching all the way just offshore towards GRB.

The convergence zone is slow to pivot through with the arctic HP centered over International Falls, MN

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-90.58,43.44,3000

That fetch down the full lenght of the lake is a thing of beauty. That low position on the east coast is in a perfect position to keep the NE winds on going.

• Like 2

Big Snow Bust on the I-95 corridor :lol:. Its mainly a inland blizzard. Snow totals cut down substantially. Way far northern suburbs get 2-3ft.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Some pics from last night and this mornings snow globe...

Here were some snap shots of the lake plume pounding NW Cook/Lake county around 12:45am and then I got up around 3:55am.  Good reason why those locals NW of ORD picked up the most snow so far.

• Like 3

Some pics from last night and this mornings snow globe...

Here were some snap shots of the lake plume pounding NW Cook/Lake county around 12:45am and then I got up around 3:55am.  Good reason why those locals NW of ORD picked up the most snow so far.

Looks like a 3-4" snowfall.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Chicago crew might be in a pretty good spot with the slow pivot on that second band. What a perfect fetch down the lake. Just don't mess up my flight there in the morning. Flights are already chaotic with the EC bomb

At one point this morning, MDW's visibility was down to 1/10th of a mile!  Insane.  It really makes me consider vacationing in a snow belt one day during the Winter months.  The snowfall rates are a thing of beauty.

Look out over the west side of the lake and you will see a long fetch from around Green Bay down to southern LM

Looks like the same areas of Lake/N Cook/DuPage are in a good position to get pounded by this band for a few hours and score a couple more inches.  Wind vectors are still looking favorable and showing a good easterly component way up north.