November 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Definitely looks cold enough Sunday night on the EURO to get Tim his first freeze. Frosty throughout the region. Monday night even colder. Looks like highs struggle to reach 40 except near the water. 

Rest of the week through Friday - definitely has some chillier nights.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

The ridge just rebuilds and doesn't budge once again on the 12z. I'm having a really hard time believing that solution in a Niña. More likely that we see things breakdown in the 8-10 day period with the NPAC flow breaking through. I'd love to be wrong though.

Eh, I think in this case it's actually aided by the Niña since convection can focus better over the IPWP when the background state favors it.

In a Niño you can see more EPAC/WHEM forcing which does extend the jet. Last winter we saw plenty of jet extensions with forcing not bound to the EHEM by that pathetic excuse for a Niña.

Yes, keep that icky cold away. We all know that moisture is the hardest ingredient to come by around here! It will be cold enough for snow regardless.

The inversion should satisfy your cold needs. Enjoy! And yes moisture is really tough to come by in that setup up here...but not impossible... that being said it is Lala land and is about as meaningless as the seriousness of that post. Tag ur it!

There's no amount of tilting that would be enough to save us with the block in that position. Better odds if it were undercut and rephrased over the Central Pacific.

Or continue the long period retrogression over the next month?

You guys just refuse to buy into this idea, for some reason. :)

I was just gonna say...that's the first semi-legit retrograde setup I've seen. Rising heights over the Aleutians, flattening +PNA ridge...

The PNA system is actually stronger on the 12z Euro compared to the 00z Euro.

The type of retrogression we're looking at here is something more prolonged and driven by dynamics in East-Asia.

My brother and mom accidentally did the same thing when I was at school. 4th grade I think. That was awful.

I used to feel bad for my hamster having to stay in a cage so I would build a fort for him that “he couldn’t get out of” on the floor. He was never there when I would wake up in the morning.

• Like 1

I accidentally killed my hamster when I closed the door and smashed it against the door frame. Traumatizing!

A cousin of mine "accidentally" killed his sister's hamster by stomping on it with his bare foot. He wasn't right in the head.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Let's hope some Christmas hamsters freeze to death in uninsulated garages this January!

I don't know, most hamsters have a pretty good coat of fur. 

I had hamsters too, and I had fairly good luck with them. 

Let's go back on topic now.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Richard Gere approves of this hamster talk

• Like 4

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Who knew that Tim’s freeze resistant roses would spark such a lively hamster discussion.

They are not freeze resistant. They will go dormant when it actually freezes!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The distinct threat speaks to just how extreme this January may be.

Well hopefully no one keeps their hamsters in the garage. I hope it's cold enough to freeze some of the rodents that are around. i.e. Rats, mice.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Much more wimpy block on the 12Z ECMWF at day 10... this looks somewhat promising to me.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

I was just gonna say...that's the first semi-legit retrograde setup I've seen. Rising heights over the Aleutians, flattening +PNA ridge...

Yeah, definitely like where this run is going day 9-10. A fairly sharp, amplified ridge over the Aleutians, downstream trough and system over northwest territories, northern BC/AB weakens and flattens ridge over us and there ya go. 18z GFS in 33 minutes!

• Like 1

Glad my hamster simply died of old age. Though I do remember he died when there was snow on the ground in late 1992 since I had to get though some hard cold ground to bury him. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

OT, but I think we just had another earthquake in DC.

Whatever it was, it rattled the windows and dishes. Didn't feel nearly as bad as 2011 though.

Yep, M4.4 centered in Dover, DE. I'm kinda surprised we felt it over here, west of the Fall Line. Seems kind of weak/far away.

The modeling has really trended away from the deep -NAO circulation, and more towards a -EPO dominated blocking regime.

Im hindsight, it makes sense, given the tendency for the NAO and PNA to constructively resonate. Also, the +PNA is more sustainable under -EPO/+WPO that +EPO/-WPO.

The JAMA weeklies are out, and we turn colder the week of Dec. 24-31st. Don't know how cold, but that is the coldest time of year anyway, so it doesn't take much for it to be snow. Wish I knew how to directly post tweets.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/936170391319355392

Looks like a retrogression to me. #NotTooAmplified