December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

I think the Typhoon east/near the Philippines and Kamchatka bombing low is leading to model disarray or confusion handling the large scale features and pattern change resulting in fairly high model variability(Op runs mainly for now) giving us plenty of time for big improvements ahead.

Off-equator WPAC forcing is the sledgehammer for the PNW/NW North America. No denying that.

Finally..global SST anomaly is down to +0.08C on the 1971-2000 reference period.

Coolest anomaly in 5yrs. Thank you #-NAM.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think this is the year where everyone is amazed that we get another foot of snow, on the same exact date, as last year.

You're right... would be quite amazing for folks up north to get a foot of snow on the exact same date that PDX had it last year. Was just thinking the same thing.

The end of the 18z GEFS run looks VERY interesting. Cold air as the westerlies undercut. HMMMMM....

Pretty sure I just saved Winter :o

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gefs/2017121318/384/500h_anom.na.png

Just the very start of what will turn into a Jan 1950 redux!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Yakima Ensembles not bad. Nice signal to turn colder near the end of the run.

00z GFS in 3 hours 38 minutes!

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Yakima_USA_ens.png

Let’s get that yellow -30 to verify!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Guest Dome Buster

We can all agree the models here and abroad still aren't very good. Rob shouldn't be hanging on these like they are gospel, but I do appreciate the enthusiasm. Mark Nelsen has colder, wetter weather early next week. He is a smart man to not give long range forecasts. He knows better.

I actually haven't been hanging onto any models. I just post the links and give brief analysis. Of course I don't have to do so for every 12z, 00z run, but who would take over? I enjoy doing so. My enthusiasm and optimism is unshakeable.

00z GFS in 2 hours! GET READY for good or improved runs tonight

Keep on keepin' on Rob!

• Like 5

I actually haven't been hanging onto any models. I just post the links and give brief analysis. Of course I don't have to do so for every 12z, 00z run, but who would take over? I enjoy doing so. My enthusiasm and optimism is unshakeable.

You do a great job. I have seen you get burnt out in some winters past, however. Who wouldn't?

We'll need you when the good stuff arrives, so feel free to take a run off now and then.  ;)

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

You do an amazing job!! Keep it up but please get some rest as well, everyone needs you for the epic January ahead!

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

We can all agree the models here and abroad still aren't very good. Rob shouldn't be hanging on these like they are gospel, but I do appreciate the enthusiasm. Mark Nelsen has colder, wetter weather early next week. He is a smart man to not give long range forecasts. He knows better.

Dude. I have been reading here for about 10 years. Robs commentary is probably the most enjoyable here. If you don’t like his posts then skip them, but most of the members look forward to them I bet.

• Like 1

I'm just talking about worrying about varying models. I appreciate the posts, rob.

Just worried about all the reactions.

We are all big boys and girls so worrying about reactions is just a wee bit of a waste of time. It is what it is. :)

Keep on keepin' on Rob!

Always

You do a great job. I have seen you get burnt out in some winters past, however. Who wouldn't?

We'll need you when the good stuff arrives, so feel free to take a run off now and then.  ;)

Hope to not get burnt out due to prolific January ahead. Yeah I should just focus on 00z perhaps? Well here that is. We pretty much post all runs in my FB Group.

You do an amazing job!! Keep it up but please get some rest as well, everyone needs you for the epic January ahead!

Appreciate it. Yeah I've considered just calling it a night after the 00z ECMWF Op has finished up. Get a solid 7 hours sleep and be ready for 12z the following morning. If the progressive flow slows up January could definitely be one for the books, or notepad files.

Dude. I have been reading here for about 10 years. Robs commentary is probably the most enjoyable here. If you don’t like his posts then skip them, but most of the members look forward to them I bet.

Hey well I appreciate that. There are many commentators here I enjoy.

I'm just talking about worrying about varying models. I appreciate the posts, rob.

Just worried about all the reactions.

All good. Sorry if I did not clear that up with my initial reply. I'm not worried about anything really.

00z GFS in 32 minutes

• Like 1