March Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I thought all hell broke loose down there last night?

I guess it was more like Grants Pass...

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yeah, ready for next season. Bigtime disappointment for many this year so it can't get much worse next winter.  Only a handful of years I can remember were more lame than this one for this location since I moved here.  02-03, 04-05, 14-15 and 15-16.  First time I've lived here with 3 of 4 years having 1" or less between all 3 of them.  Fortunately 16-17 was quite good. 8-9 next year, we are due for a regional significant arctic front and major event at some point.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I thought all hell broke loose down there last night?

Last 2 winter weather advisories I was involved in were fails sort of.

In fact I was tagged on a FB post last night why I wasn't posting. ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Seattle Times has an article about spring today... quoting the SEA NWS office calling it our season of "disappointment".    :lol:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/weather/the-season-of-disappointment-spring-like-weather-is-just-a-tease-weather-service-says/

But, as one forecaster at the National Weather Service in Seattle likes to say, the more accurate names for the four seasons around here are: summer, fall, winter and … disappointment.

“Our spring is slow and long. It’s a tease.”

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah, ready for next season. Bigtime disappointment for many this year so it can't get much worse next winter.  Only a handful of years I can remember were more lame than this one for this location since I moved here.  02-03, 04-05, 14-15 and 15-16.  First time I've lived here with 3 of 4 years having 1" or less between all 3 of them.  Fortunately 16-17 was quite good. 8-9 next year, we are due for a regional significant arctic front and major event at some point.

Oh yes it can... ;)

Seattle Times has an article about spring today... quoting the SEA NWS office calling it our season of "disappointment". :lol:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/weather/the-season-of-disappointment-spring-like-weather-is-just-a-tease-weather-service-says/

But, as one forecaster at the National Weather Service in Seattle likes to say, the more accurate names for the four seasons around here are: summer, fall, winter and … disappointment.

Maybe someday we will go straight into very warm weather in March like California. We can only pray!

At the risk of getting kicked out of the razor blade club I will say I didn’t hate this winter. The January torch sucked but at least the other two months were below average and had some snowfall. I have seen far worse in very recent years (2014-15, 2015-16).

At the risk of getting kicked out of the razor blade club I will say I didn’t hate this winter. The January torch sucked but at least the other two months were below average and had some snowfall. I have seen far worse in very recent years (2014-15, 2015-16).

This winter was very outdoor-friendly for me so I'll say the same. Got some snow but this season will no doubt end up being well below normal level. Had 1 low temperature fairly close to zero recently so I guess this winter gets a few points.

The one thing I didn't like was the blatant lack of foggy mornings and good sunsets/sunrises. My cameras basically collected dust since December.

It may be late asking this; but was southern Oregon literally the only place that got a good winter in '15-'16 season?

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Seattle Times has an article about spring today... quoting the SEA NWS office calling it our season of "disappointment". :lol:

Eh, depends how you look at it. Temps steadily warm and precipitation drops a lot between now and May.

2008, 2011, 2012, 2017...not normal springs.

A forum for the end of the world.

I actually had a high of 66 during the fabled March of 2012. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yeah... very likely that it will be the warmest spring on record. In a Nina year. :rolleyes:

The Weather Network thinks it's going to scorch for most of the country and I agree with them.

"While Florida will likely see a wetter pattern as we head into summer, no relief is expected for California or Texas as a hot and dry pattern will get established early and dominate the summer.

Preliminary look ahead to summer

We expect a hot summer for most of the country, with above-normal temperatures dominating the months of June, July, and August. The one region that appears least likely to see a hot summer is centered on the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes. To some extent, this resembles the pattern we saw last summer. However, we expect that this summer will be hotter than last summer across the Southeast, and even the Great Lakes region should experience more hot weather than they did last year.  

Potentially one of the biggest stories of the summer will be the worsening drought conditions across western and central parts of the United States, with a significant impact on agriculture and wildfires. As we develop our final summer forecast we will be closely analyzing the threat for these drought conditions to extend further north and east."

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/amp/news/2018-us-national-spring-forecast-next-three-months-of-weather-temperature-precipitation/96343

The Weather Network thinks it's going to scorch for most of the country and I agree with them.

"While Florida will likely see a wetter pattern as we head into summer, no relief is expected for California or Texas as a hot and dry pattern will get established early and dominate the summer.

Preliminary look ahead to summer

We expect a hot summer for most of the country, with above-normal temperatures dominating the months of June, July, and August. The one region that appears least likely to see a hot summer is centered on the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes. To some extent, this resembles the pattern we saw last summer. However, we expect that this summer will be hotter than last summer across the Southeast, and even the Great Lakes region should experience more hot weather than they did last year.  

Potentially one of the biggest stories of the summer will be the worsening drought conditions across western and central parts of the United States, with a significant impact on agriculture and wildfires. As we develop our final summer forecast we will be closely analyzing the threat for these drought conditions to extend further north and east."

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/amp/news/2018-us-national-spring-forecast-next-three-months-of-weather-temperature-precipitation/96343

When its hot everywhere else... its usually cool and wet up here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I upgraded my February grade to an A+ Since we had a spectacular Sunday the 11th full of sun and warmth, and then snowmegeddon the weekend after that with snow that remained through the rest of the month with a few other small snow events mixed in. Oh sub freezing high and a low of 15! Jake and I were one of the lucky snow ones. 23” of snow for me for the season.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Winter yes, but not necessarily during the Summer months. Jet is not strong enough to dictate the wintertime dynamics

No... its even more likely in the summer.   In the winter it can be very wet here when the rest of the country is in the deep freezer as we saw in late January and early February. 

Looking like a lot of partly sunny, cool days with occasional showers coming up. Nice early spring weather.

February ended up with only 2.16" of precip at SEA. 1.34" below normal, and about 6.7" less than last February. Driest February since 2013.

Garbage station. What about Olympia?
  • Like 1

Nada!!

Most of that snow in the lowlands of OR and SW WA shown on the 10 day snowfall map happens in the first 6-hour period of the run which was 4-10 a.m. today.      ;)

And that very light gray shading on the accumulated snowfall map is usually nothing in reality.    

When its hot everywhere else... its usually cool and wet up here.

Well Dr. Doug Gillham Meteorologist,PhD did say if there's a region that's least likely to get a hot summer it would be the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes areas. So I could envision a ridge building directly overhead or nearby and rule the PNW for most of the summer. As a fan of extreme weather I will welcome multiple heat waves and 100+ tempermatures with open arms. Maybe this summer PDX can finally set an all time record high of 108 or above.

Well Dr. Doug Gillham Meteorologist,PhD did say if there's a region that's least likely to get a hot summer it would be the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes areas. So I could envision a ridge building directly overhead or nearby and rule the PNW for most of the summer. As a fan of extreme weather I will welcome multiple heat waves and 100+ tempermatures with open arms. Maybe this summer PDX can finally set an all time record high of 108 or above.

Some parts of the Willamette Valley did set their all-time high.  We hit 109 here.  It'll keep being more and more regular as it continues to warm.  4 straight inferno summers, I doubt it changes.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

A cool Midwest would be a good sign for a warm summer in the PNW.

Finally? When did they set that 108F record?

Nam shows close to a foot of snow here over the next couple days

Good Lord.

The 00Z ECMWF showed 51 at PDX this afternoon and again tomorrow afternoon and 49 on Saturday afternoon.   Hard to believe you will have that much snow with those temperatures around Portland.  

As PDX approaches 50 this afternoon... my assumption above proved to be accurate.   It did not make sense that Timmy would see a foot of snow with the ECMWF showing highs around 50 at PDX.     There is a big difference between his location and PDX... but not usually that big.  

Looks like Norway set its national record low for the month of March yesterday. A reading of -41.8 C (-43 F) in a town called Folldal. Previous record was -39.5 C (-39 F) on March 5, 1949 in a town called Drevsjo. 

Cool video of the blizzard that hit Dublin airport (in March!):

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/969368265662267393

• Like 2

Looks like Norway set its national record low for the month of March yesterday. A reading of -41.8 C (-43 F) in a town called Folldal. Previous record was -39.5 C (-39 F) on March 5, 1949 in a town called Drevsjo. 

Cool video of the blizzard that hit Dublin airport (in March!):

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/969368265662267393

Feels like we will never set cold/snow records here anymore.

Personal Stats:

Venmo