April 13th-16th Spring Bowling Ball Powerhouse

Tom

Its like watching paint dry with moving this thing east. Definitely a lot later then anticipated with perhaps the event not taking shape until tonight, which is good if you want it to stick more easily. I'm looking at the HRRR and its not matching up with radar at all, its a complete joke that all models cant get a handle with whats going on down here lol. Supposively the HRRR has a heavy band over Omaha right about now and nothing of that nature is happening, its way west of where it says it should be. 

• Like 2

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

Its like watching paint dry with moving this thing east. Definitely a lot later then anticipated with perhaps the event not taking shape until tonight, which is good if you want it to stick more easily. I'm looking at the HRRR and its not matching up with radar at all, its a complete joke that all models cant get a handle with whats going on down here lol. Supposively the HRRR has a heavy band over Omaha right about now and nothing of that nature is happening, its way west of where it says it should be. 

The HRRR has been on a completely different planet all day. Each and every run the past 8 or 9 runs it showed a heavy band over Lincoln one hour in. Joke of a model if it can't even initialize well.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Mist, Scattered sleet and scattered snow flakes mixed in outside. About 33 locally so nothings iced over yet. Think were in for trouble later once we do get to about 32 31 degrees.

Been under a heavy snow band for quiet some time now. I woke up this morning at 730 to sleet pelting the house. From then until about 1 we had nothing. Now I would say about 2" and the snow is blowing big time. I drove around a bit and visibility is 100 yds or less. For sure this thing under performed but man it's a powerhouse. I'm wondering if the thunderstorms kind of robbed some of the moisture for our area. Regardless, that dreaded dry slot wreaked havoc for a lot of us. 

• Like 1

Visibility hasn’t been greater than 1/2 mi for several hours. Winds are a bit calmer at the moment though. As of 1pm at least 12” expected. Totals may approach 20” close by. Models have done a pretty good job with this up this way.

You probably live in the city so you can’t see the drifting as good; I imagine you got some pretty decent ones around your place though? The snow is really slushy and wet, I imgaine the roads tonight will be pretty bad around here.

• Like 1

You probably live in the city so you can’t see the drifting as good; I imagine you got some pretty decent ones around your place though? The snow is really slushy and wet, I imgaine the roads tonight will be pretty bad around here.

I live 5 miles north of St Paul so it’s definitely urban. Not a whole lot of drifting here but definitely some. The snow is actually fairly dry here. The roads are a disaster. Dry snow is probably worse than wet snow for traction purposes.

• Like 1

I live 5 miles north of St Paul so it’s definitely urban. Not a whole lot of drifting here but definitely some. The snow is actually fairly dry here. The roads are a disaster. Dry snow is probably worse than wet snow for traction purposes.

Can confirm that drifting is becoming an issue. Winds whipping across the open area here is an incredible sight! Roads are...terrible.

• Like 3

Wow if i were in Lincoln, I'd be hitting my head on the wall. That band is literally taking forever to get into the city. NWS basically saying they screwed up too

"Meanwhile, further south and east along I80, the rain is just now

finally switching to snow, about 5-6 hours later than expected.
There were pockets of sleet earlier in the morning, which
essentially melted since temps remained above freezing in the mid
30s. Thus, snowfall along I80 will be lower than previously
expected, but still will see pockets of snow through the evening,
along with strong winds creating blowing snow. Snow amounts
through the evening could range around an inch, give or take.

"

From my friend at the Air Force Weather Agency here in town:

"It's barotropic with nothing behind it to push it quickly eastward as we're accustomed to seeing. It's not going to rapidly eject across Iowa and into the Ohio Valley; it's going to sit and spin, which the NWS fails to account for. It follows that it will take longer for the deformation zone to pivot into eastern NE, but when it does it will sit here for hours, perhaps into tomorrow as you mentioned."

Thunder snow at the moment in St. Paul. Wind has died down for now. Its almost eerily still. I haven’t seen a storm like this since the storm that collapsed the Metrodome.

Holy balls this is epic. I saw the lightning but didn’t hear the thunder. Multiple strikes being detected on the east side of the metro in the last few minutes.

• Like 1

Wow if i were in Lincoln, I'd be hitting my head on the wall. That band is literally taking forever to get into the city. NWS basically saying they screwed up too

"Meanwhile, further south and east along I80, the rain is just now

finally switching to snow, about 5-6 hours later than expected.

There were pockets of sleet earlier in the morning, which

essentially melted since temps remained above freezing in the mid

30s. Thus, snowfall along I80 will be lower than previously

expected, but still will see pockets of snow through the evening,

along with strong winds creating blowing snow. Snow amounts

through the evening could range around an inch, give or take.

"

I wouldn't say the NWS screwed up. The models screwed up. You just said so yourself earlier with how wrong the HRRR has been.

I wouldn't say the NWS screwed up. The models screwed up. You just said so yourself earlier with how wrong the HRRR has been.

Yes they screwed up, along with me. We trusted that it would start earlier and it never happened. 

Holy balls this is epic. I saw the lightning but didn’t hear the thunder. Multiple strikes being detected on the east side of the metro in the last few minutes.

Aannnd the wind is back. Any idea when the last blizzard Warning was for the metro proper? If my memory serves me, it’s been quite some time.