September 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

TigerWoodsLibido

Only 200-300 inches? Based on your accounts, I would have thought you must average at least 700-800 inches a year.

Probably closer to 1,000!

Actually my rainfall total for 2018 is just a little above normal.

My location is the normal spot this year... and places to my north like Arlington and Monroe and up to Randy's house.

The rest of you are not keeping up with normal. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This is a beautiful illustration of a convectively coupled kelvin wave (CCKW) crossing the tropical Atlantic.

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1043537420850028545?s=20

• Like 1

SEA, Seattle WFO, OLM and BLI are all around 2" or lower for this month. So weird.

Isn't strange that the same area is always the most anomously wet compared to their average? We all know where that area is... and it does not include any of those stations.

That persistently wet area is pretty close to normal for 2018. So strange that other places cannot keep up with normal like we can!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You live 30 miles from SEA. You're hardly representative of that area.

The wettest airport station in Western WA thus far has been Arlington at 4.31" this month. Everyone else is somewhere between 0.5" and 2.5". Not much evidence to suggest that many populated valley locations are over 5".

SEA has been on the dry side, but is still a lot more representative of the urban corridor than your spot. Tacoma Narrows is actually the driest spot at 0.63". Even rain forest Shelton is only at 2.63".

I did not say my area was representative of Seattle.

But again... one area has NO problem keeping up with their average rain this year. While the rest of the region cannot.

Most of the time... when its wetter than normal here then its wetter than normal at SEA. Not this year.

Which begs the question, what location on Earth experiences the widest spread of average precipitation over the shortest lateral distance?

(Besides SEA to Tim's house)

Difference here is normally about twice what SEA gets. Similar to many other foothill locations.

But SEA and my location usually run in sync whether its drier or wetter than normal.

Which begs the question, what location on Earth experiences the widest spread of average precipitation over the shortest lateral distance?

(Besides SEA to Tim's house)

Kauai's got to be up there. Mt. Wai'ale'ale averages 373" annually while about fifteen miles away Kekaha averages about 21" annually.

Kauai's got to be up there. Mt. Wai'ale'ale averages 373" annually while about fifteen miles away Kekaha averages about 21" annually.

Jared is claiming it is that same difference between North Bend and SEA.

Its always wetter in North Bend... but not 7 times wetter!

But again... one area has NO problem keeping up with their average rain this year. While the rest of the region cannot.

Most of the time... when its wetter than normal here then its wetter than normal at SEA. Not this year.

Sure must suck to live in that tiny, thin, sparsely populated zone then. Glad that the vast majority of us do not.

Is what it is.

YearPNormWRCC-NW.png

A forum for the end of the world.

Sure must suck to live in that tiny, thin, sparsely populated zone then. Glad that the vast majority of us do not.

You are glad you don't have normal rainfall for 2018 like we do?? Does not sound like it! :)

No, I'm only claiming that SEA is not the exception as much as you are. That's what is supported by the facts.

Never said otherwise. But I expect SEA to follow us in terms of precip anomalies like it usually does... we are doing our best to be normal or a little wetter than normal.

SEA is failing. Falling in with the wrong crowd... the drought crowd! :)

Never said otherwise. I expect SEA to follow us in terms of precip anomalies... we are doing our best to be normal or a little wetter than normal.

SEA is failing. Falling in with the wrong crowd... the drought crowd! :)

It's been repeatedly inferred by some on here that SEA is a massive outlier. 

But that's only true compared to a relatively small CZ area in a couple counties.

MPH?

I noticed on a recent road trip to B.C. that it seemed like no one drove the standard 5-10 mph over the posted limit like Americans do -- everyone drove at either exactly the posted limit, or way, way, WAY faster.

Haha. No. It was kph.

And I agree. Way above or right at the limit seems pretty common here.

• Like 1

It's been repeatedly inferred by some on here that SEA is a massive outlier. 

But that's only true compared to a relatively small CZ area in a couple counties.

The point is that even with the c-zone built into the averages... SEA is usually in sync with the areas around it like my area and Snohomish and Skagit counties in terms of anomalies.

When its wetter than normal out here and up there... then its usually wetter than normal at SEA.    But it has been persistently out of sync this year.   And our areas are close to normal.   So SEA is failing in that regard.  

The point is that even with the c-zone built into the averages... SEA is usually in sync with the areas around it like my area and Snohomish and Skagit counties in terms of anomalies.

When its wetter than normal out here and up there... then its usually wetter than normal at SEA.    But it has been persistently out of sync this year.   And our areas are close to normal.   So SEA is failing in that regard.  

Places like Arlington and North Bend have been the exception. That's all. 

Acting like SEA is the exception is dumb.

Places like Arlington and North Bend have been the exception. That's all.

Acting like SEA is the exception is dumb.

Call it what you want... but its been strange and unusual this year. And our area north and east of Seattle has been the area close to or a little above normal. So its business as usual out here.

There have been zero organized frontal systems since April. And much of February and March were dead as well. Not a surprise that folks outside the convergence zone who rely on actual Pacific energy for their rain are parched.

• Like 1

There have been zero organized frontal systems since April. And much of February and March were dead as well. Not a surprise that folks outside the convergence zone who rely on actual Pacific energy for their rain are parched.

I am sure that is the reason.

And I still say the same thing... its been really unusual.    

The area to the north and east of Seattle must be just about drought-proof then!    Which is why we never have to worry about not getting rain... it ALWAYS comes.  

I just noticed the location change. :lol:

Honest question, brother.You’ve boasted that your job gives you “incredible flexibility” and that you could literally live “anywhere you wanted to”. That’s a privilege few people have.

Given this, why do you continue to reside in one of the cloudiest, dampest microclimates within the cloudiest, dampest region in the entire country? What could possibly motivate you to slog it out with the slugs, year after year? :huh:

Honest question brother..why do you live in one of the cloudiest, dampest microclimates within the cloudiest, dampest region in the entire country?

You’ve boasted that your job gives you “incredible flexibility” and that you could literally live “anywhere you wanted to”. That’s a privilege few people have.

Given the above, why are you still there? What could possibly motivate you to slog it out with the slugs, year after year? :huh:

I was just pointing out that its actually been normal out here.   :lol:

Anyways... we love it here.     Cannot beat the scenic beauty being so close to a major metro area.

Although we might spend more time in Hawaii during the winter once the kids are through school.    

I was just pointing out that its actually been normal out here. :lol:

Anyways... we love it here. Cannot beat the scenic beauty being so close to a major metro area.

Although we might spend more time in Hawaii during the winter once the kids are through school.

Are you sure? Your posts make it sound like you’re serving a prison sentence. ;)

I hope that if/when you decide to retire, you’re able to relocate somewhere else. I honestly believe that it will benefit your health.

Are you sure? Your posts make it sound like you’re serving a prison sentence. ;)

I hope that if/when you decide to retire, you’re able to relocate somewhere else. I honestly believe that it will benefit your health.

We lived in San Diego for 12 years and love it way more here.    

Feels like a complete Tim meltdown could be coming at some point this winter. A relentless storm train with breaks coming in the form of cold and snow sounds great.

Any analogs for this kind of early season complaining????

That sounds like almost every winter.      :lol:

We lived in San Diego for 12 years and love it way more here.

Well, that’s understandable since there’s no weather to speak of in San Diego. I’d rather be miserable than feel nothing at all.

I think a continental climate is what you need. Solid temperature variability, unpredictable precipitation tendencies. None of this overbearing wet/dry season stuff.

Well, that’s understandable since there’s no weather to speak of in San Diego. I’d rather be miserable than feel nothing at all.

I think a continental climate is what you need. Solid temperature variability, unpredictable precipitation tendencies. None of this overbearing wet/dry season stuff.

A lot of places with continental climates are not nearly as scenic as the PNW, or don't have the amenities and entertainment options of a major city like Seattle.

Very few places are as perfect as Baffin Island.

• Like 1

I think a continental climate is what you need. Solid temperature variability, no overbearing wet/dry season.

I don't like the winters in continental climates... too brown and cold.     I know we would not like a place like Bozeman either... that is ridiculous cold for way too long.   

Maybe Maui or Kauai.    :)

A lot of places with continental climates are not nearly as scenic as the PNW, or don't have the amenities and entertainment options of a major city like Seattle.

Exactly.    Hard to beat the scenery here.     Even in winter.

Truest statement ever made on this forum.

Hawks finally on the board. Red Robin burger TD in the red zone XD. I hope they get a snow game in Nov or Dec like 2008.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope