October 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

I've never had luck with turning rotors. Did it as a poor starving college student and they warped within a month or 2 (this is on the first turning). Granted, my driving style had a lot to do with it (aircraft carrier landing style stops....aircraft carrier launch style take offs too for that matter...went through a lot of clutches).

I've mellowed with my old age, but I'm still not one to just coast to a stop, so I still go through brakes pretty fast. The difference now is that I can afford to buy new rotors when I change the brakes (doing them myself keep the price from getting too out of control).

Sounds like my wife's driving! I have done brake jobs on her cars twice as often as on mine
  • Like 1

Mine can go either way on oil actually. Yeah do the wiper blades too myself. Around here it seems like once a year is average. 

Yeah, my most recent car that I've had for about 3 years is the only one that has required full synthetic. It's a great engine though, so I don't mind too much.

A forum for the end of the world.

Yeah, at least oil changes aren’t too bad. I probably go through brakes quicker than average since I do a lot of mountain and backroads driving, so it beats spending several hundred every few years to have someone else do it.

Down to the mid-50s here already. Could be around 40 by morning.

Next time buy a brand called performance friction. A little spendy but they will last 60 to 80k miles. Another good brand is wagner thermo quite.
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

I've spent a lot more money on oil changes than brakes over the years. Brakes I usually have to replace every 3 years or so (mostly highway driving), while in that same period I'll get a dozen or so oil changes.

A dozen oil changes in three years?

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Is that a lot? I put 18-20k miles a year on my car.

I started doing the math in my head and I guess that isn't outlandish depending on the vehicle. My current pick up only needs changed after 8k miles or a year. I only put about 12k on a year.

I started doing the math in my head and I guess that isn't outlandish depending on the vehicle. My current pick up only needs changed after 8k miles or a year. I only put about 12k on a year.

Yeah, every 5k miles for mine. Though I'm sure I could stretch it longer.

Gotta love how the conversations on here weave all over the place - from gardens, to sports, to car maintenance, to matters of the law, even weather sometimes.

Gotta love how the conversations on here weave all over the place - from gardens, to sports, to car maintenance, to matters of the law, even weather sometimes.

I even remember one conversation where someone was gardening while listening to the Seahawk game and was struck by a vehicle which slid off the road out of control due to bad brakes, prompting that individual to seek legal counsel during an el nino.

It's almost like a forum full of guys!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It's almost like a forum full of guys!

We could certainly use more Kaylas than Karls! (Don't leave us).

Though I have found that most internet forums on just about any toopic tend to be male-dominated. I'm guessing most women can't stand the idiocy, or have more important things to do.

• Like 1

Imo 8k is to long. I like the idea of when it's dirty change it. That is usually before 8k.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

You need to come out here during a high end coastal gale.

Yeah, but this is the NE Gulf of Mexico. Average wave height there is like 1 foot on a breezy day. Just a testament to how powerful this storm was.

• Like 1

I didn’t even know 50-70 foot waves were possible in the Gulf of Mexico until today. Especially near the shore. It’s so shallow..like a big puddle of water.

Weather-related OT, but I’ll remember Michael for a long time, because it will literally mark the end of the warm season here, and the start of the cool season, once it passes through tomorrow night.

One of the rare times our summer will end with a single cold front. Usually it’s a much more drawn out affair.

You mean the car thermometer sitting right next to your heat-emitting engine? Figures. :lol:

My car thermometer records temps over 110*F during the summer months.

More extreme weather on the way, this time in the form of record lows for the central US on Monday.

Ryan Maue@RyanMaue

Record cold temperatures arriving for next week. Monday morning widespread record lows across the Central U.S. -- mostly in the 20s.

20°F in Denver

28°F in Lubbock Texas

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1050198793306742784

Do you drive an Acura, Tim? The layout and symbols in your pic resemble the Acura/Honda brand.

Looks like a Ford product to me. I could be wrong though.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

A return to some summer weather. Pattern looks like it will remain wavy for the time being. I don't mind that at all. Will just need the ridge to move west starting in about a month.

Too bad people can't just relax and enjoy it while it lasts instead of getting all bent out of shape about it.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."