January 2019 Observations and Discussion

Minny_Weather

Pileups everywhere on the highways here is Western Michigan - dangerous conditions all around.

Sad that most of you root for this type of weather where people have to put their lives on the line just to go to work to make money to feed their families. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for wishing this through.

That’s not fair - don’t go there - this is a good forum, don’t start down the road of ripping on people just because they happen to like winter weather.

• Like 5

Pileups everywhere on the highways here is Western Michigan - dangerous conditions all around.

Sad that most of you root for this type of weather where people have to put their lives on the line just to go to work to make money to feed their families. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for wishing this through.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c50c1e863724e796f

• Like 3

It’s more than fair and there’s a difference between liking winter weather and hoping for events like this - which the majority of you do - that causes destruction to people’s property and puts their lives in danger. Some hobby ya’ll have.

That’s why the NWS and/or media hype these “life threatening “ situations so people can prep for it days in advance. To those pile ups in W MI, people need to slow down and let off the gas peddle. I’ve seen videos of nasty pileups and more than likely those drivers were driving way to fast for conditions. It’s obviously not a good situation to begin with.

• Like 3

It’s more than fair and there’s a difference between liking winter weather and hoping for events like this - which the majority of you do - that causes destruction to people’s property and puts their lives in danger. Some hobby ya’ll have.

Yet here you are. Also, some people’s lives also depend on this kind of stuff as well.

Unfortunately - some folks have to be to work no matter what. Whether it’s something essential like a nurse or the gal at the gas station who is just trying to get the money to break even for the day after she had to send her kid to daycare because school was canceled. Then on their way to doing so they have to deal with the knuckleheads you mentioned. One can take every safety precaution in the world but you’re only as safe as the person driving next to you.

I agree that it isn’t a good situation which is why I am confused why ya’ll get excited for stuff like this? I understand it’s going to happen regardless of what one posts on a forum but in the days before shouldn’t we as humans be hoping the system weakens for the sake of others? Not hope it strengthens for a hobby that we enjoy doing in our spare time?

I’d prefer snow. And as I said, there are also plenty of other people who benefits from stronger storms as well. Do you know how many people plow snow for money to also help their family?

That was a winter that whom ever lived through that time period will always remember. It looks like the streak will continue as snow showers will develop later this morning into the afternoon.

I was a high school senior that year. We actually built an igloo big enough to fit four people with a wood burning stove inside, memorable times indeed.

I’d prefer snow. And as I said, there are also plenty of other people who benefits from stronger storms as well. Do you know how many people plow snow for money to also help their family?

I have a landscaping business and plow during the winter. Snow is a necessity for me. I don't need this kind of cold though, no one does.

• Like 1

Unfortunately - some folks have to be to work no matter what. Whether it’s something essential like a nurse or the gal at the gas station who is just trying to get the money to break even for the day after she had to send her kid to daycare because school was canceled. Then on their way to doing so they have to deal with the knuckleheads you mentioned. One can take every safety precaution in the world but you’re only as safe as the person driving next to you.

I agree that it isn’t a good situation which is why I am confused why ya’ll get excited for stuff like this? I understand it’s going to happen regardless of what one posts on a forum but in the days before shouldn’t we as humans be hoping the system weakens for the sake of others? Not hope it strengthens for a hobby that we enjoy doing in our spare time?

So you're saying that storm chasers shouldn't exist, because they get excited when severe weather strikes? No one wants to see anyone get effected. I don't want people to be harmed, but it's weather, it's uncontrollable, and there's a reason people are meteorology majors, because weather is interesting. To skew it into your view that we only want a cold outbreak because it's dangerous is beyond ridiculous, that's the last thing any of us would want. In fact, we've been the ones spreading the word about how cold and dangerous it will be, so your point is invalid.

• Like 1

"It’s more than fair and there’s a difference between liking winter weather and hoping for events like this - which the majority of you do - that causes destruction to people’s property and puts their lives in danger. 

Some child’s mom isn’t going to make it home tonight but glad you guys all had fun tracking this - and rooting it on - for the past week.

Some hobby ya’ll have. Maybe try baseball cards? Or something where you aren’t rooting for harm on others. "

SNOWFLAKE ALERT!   I cheer weather! Its Gods work and I stare in aw as it happens. 

• Like 1

I was wondering where you showed up from and have questioned a few of your other posts, but I'll bite.

For me and many others on the board I believe it is pure fascination at what nature can do and how we can stare at models for days and still in the blink of an eye nature does something different. Do we hope to see the extreme sometimes yes, but at the same time everyone on here probably has more respect for what nature can do than most others in the public. To say we should hope for one thing or another is a fool hardly arguement. That's like hoping for a promotion at work...you got one, but the guy who's job you took was fired. Does that make you a bad person? Life happens all around us you can take as many precautions as possible, but it isnt up to us when our time is up, but I am sure those 25 people fascinated by weather had a part in it. My father was perfectly health as of Sept. Bone cancer was found, 2 months later it spread to his heart, he passed away Dec 14th. S#!T happens everyday no matter what. Gods got a plan for all of us and ya roll with it. I'll keep getting excited for blizzards and impressive cold, crazy heat waves and the like. The more I can see Gods awesome power the better. Take care.

• Like 6

I was wondering where you showed up from and have questioned a few of your other posts, but I'll bite.

For me and many others on the board I believe it is pure fascination at what nature can do and how we can stare at models for days and still in the blink of an eye nature does something different. Do we hope to see the extreme sometimes yes, but at the same time everyone on here probably has more respect for what nature can do than most others in the public. To say we should hope for one thing or another is a fool hardly arguement. That's like hoping for a promotion at work...you got one, but the guy who's job you took was fired. Does that make you a bad person? Life happens all around us you can take as many precautions as possible, but it isnt up to us when our time is up, but I am sure those 25 people fascinated by weather had a part in it. My father was perfectly health as of Sept. Bone cancer was found, 2 months later it spread to his heart, he passed away Dec 14th. S#!T happens everyday no matter what. Gods got a plan for all of us and ya roll with it. I'll keep getting excited for blizzards and impressive cold, crazy heat waves and the like. The more I can see Gods awesome power the better. Take care.

Well said Madtown and condolences for your loss.

• Like 4

It’s more than fair and there’s a difference between liking winter weather and hoping for events like this - which the majority of you do - that causes destruction to people’s property and puts their lives in danger.

Some child’s mom isn’t going to make it home tonight but glad you guys all had fun tracking this - and rooting it on - for the past week.

Some hobby ya’ll have. Maybe try baseball cards? Or something where you aren’t rooting for harm on others.

Until you have lived in a state like mine, don't bring it here. I dont even care. Don't even try. We (most of us) give grace here for lack of wisdom and understanding but one of the points here is being a WEATHER ENTHUSIAST. Maybe you're in the wrong place? This winter sucks for me, so I try keeping my negatives to myself. Thus, wisdom says, I don't have much to say.

Most of us know more about the REALITY of dealing with the actual results of the weather than any of the folks who actually do it "for thrills and destruction" or sit behind a screen 8 hours a day.

Beyond that, welcome. Sure is cold out...

• Like 2

I feel bad for those that don’t get to witness the true power of this LES event. I’ve seen hefty bands of snow that drop a foot, but these sideways snow whites outs are nuts. 3 ft drifts now.

I lived in Kalamazoo back in the mid 90s. I was driving thru Gary, IN on my way back from Chicago and hit one of those super intense squalls. I’ve never seen it snow as hard since. You couldn’t see the car in front of you. It must have been coming down a good 3”/hr. That was one time when I thought to myself ‘Am I doing the right thing by continuing to drive?’

• Like 4

Sorry for your loss, my man. My 70-year-old dad — and others that I love for that matter — worry the hell out of me being out and about on days like this. Have to figure it’s the same for others here which leads to me not understanding why you guys root for these conditions for what is a hobby to most

Just food for thought if there is that much worry.

Mathew 6

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

• Like 2

I lived in Kalamazoo back in the mid 90s. I was driving thru Gary, IN on my way back from Chicago and hit one of those super intense squalls. I’ve never seen it snow as hard since. You couldn’t see the car in front of you. It must have been coming down a good 3”/hr. That was one time when I thought to myself ‘Am I doing the right thing by continuing to drive?’

They are no joke. You go from 2 mile visabilty to zero in a matter of seconds. You aren’t sure to hit the brakes or not. Best not to and slow down.
  • Like 1

Just downright nasty in Marshall this evening, and I'm just on the fringe of the real-deal action NW of here.

Tab2FileL.png?7d3f9d39375f9eb4d7474fddb6

• Like 3

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Just downright nasty in Marshall this evening, and I'm just on the fringe of the real-deal action NW of here.

Tab2FileL.png?7d3f9d39375f9eb4d7474fddb6

Wow....I hope you get a ton of snow and break all time record low temps. I hear those belts on the western part of the state are getting incredible snows during the past couple of days. Hmm...maybe I should move to Kalamazoo  :lol:

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Definitely a a frigid nite. Going to smash the old record of -6F (I think it is, give or take somewhere around there) as my lows temps drop in the low -10s. I hope I can also get some LES from Jasters  n Stacsh hometown here IMBY. That will be a bonus. <_>

Definitely a a frigid nite. Going to smash the old record of -6F (I think it is, give or take somewhere around there) as my lows temps drop in the low -10s. I hope I can also get some LES from Jasters n Stacsh hometown here IMBY. That will be a bonus. <_>

I’m getting on and off squalls here. Temp of 6, lake keeping us “warm”. About 10/20 miles inland the steadier squalls are piling up. 2 feet drifts. Probably about 4” today but it’s just sideways snow so who knows.

• Like 1

Did you start out playing "Devil's advocate"??  I don't get the peeps who don't cringe at extreme temps (cold or hot), but I am someone who enjoys his winter sports and thus the more snow/storms the better. If not, peeps who operate ski resorts and sell snow sleds and cater to all of us who spend hard-earned $$ on that stuff will be out of business and perhaps bankrupt.

There was an era when pioneering folks had little if any warning of incoming blizzards and twisters and the like and thus many met with tragic ends and it is sad to read about those events like "The school children's blizzard of 1888". In this day and age, people are "over-informed" if there can be such a thing about weather happenings in any season. There will always be those disadvantaged for whom storms are by nature a bigger hardship. Most will heed the message and plan for the worsened conditions. Some won't or, as you say, just simply don't feel they can (call into work, take a safer route and risk being late, etc..). Others just like to risk (Grizzcoat's ice fishing story for example) and gamble, and push the envelope. Human nature will run the full gamut it seems. I don't think anyone in here that I know of would stand on the sidelines cheering on death, misery, or mayhem due to weather, natural disasters, or anything of the sort. We do track weather tho for a variety of reasons, but mainly because we find in it some amount of fascination and the potential for unpredictability is a large part of that for me personally.

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

I’m getting on and off squalls here. Temp of 6, lake keeping us “warm”. About 10/20 miles inland the steadier squalls are piling up. 2 feet drifts. Probably about 4” today but it’s just sideways snow so who knows.

Looks like the surface winds will be predominantly unfavorable for the heavy stuff to get me. Need them to come around to at least due west, if not WNW like the NAM was showing yesterday. That LP up over Superior is just sitting there and spinning - slow to move out. When it finally does I may get a brief improvement in the fetch. A bit disappointing as this was looking good to be a big deal 1-2 punch clipper/LES storm here but now gonna miss us by like 1 county it would appear. Be safe up there!

That is good enough for me.....hopefully, those squalls can get into your neck of the woods.

Looks like the surface winds will be predominantly unfavorable for the heavy stuff to get me. Need them to come around to at least due west, if not WNW like the NAM was showing yesterday. That LP up over Superior is just sitting there and spinning - slow to move out. When it finally does I may get a brief improvement in the fetch. A bit disappointing as this was looking good to be a big deal 1-2 punch clipper/LES storm here but now gonna miss us by like 1 county it would appear. Be safe up there!

Winds are shifting to WNW now judging by radar. Snow getting more intense here somehow lol
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

The actual air temperatures in Minnesota range from a highest of -18° to -33° with wind chill readings ranging from -32 to -60° most locations are in the -40 to -50° range. In Wisconsin the actual temperatures range from -4° to -22° with wind chills ranging from -26 to -46° Here in Michigan the actual temperatures range from +10 at Port Hope (in the thumb) to -18 at Ironwood. Wind chills are mild compared to our west with readings from -4 at Port Hope to -42 at Ironwood. Here at Grand Rapids the air temperature is +4 at GRR with a wind chill of -13 it is also +4 here at my house with moderate snow falling here. The visibility at GRR was 0.5 miles in snow. Total snow on the ground here at my house is around 15” with 3 measurements of 14” 15” and 16”

• Like 2

Winds are shifting to WNW now judging by radar. Snow getting more intense here somehow lol

Been getting very intense here with time getting down to maybe 500 feet or so at least the temperature is at +4 the wind is kind of keeping the snow on the ground about the same as it has been. My son who just got home from work just texted me visibility on 131 is very bad the worse he has ever seen it. not to mention all lanes are snow covered,

• Like 1

So, what you are saying is that we should not like Summer also because there is heat n humidity, hurricanes, tornadoes or Spring because there are violent thunderstorms or even Autumn because of weather turning colder and etc. Well, I gotta tell ya.....We ya'll get excited for stuff like this, "Big Time" because we enjoy the extremes that Ma Nature can provide, whether is ( Winter, Summer, Spring, Autumn), especially when it comes to Winter. In fact, we get so excited during Winterstorms that you will find a lot of posters hugging models, discussing paths, or anything for days on end. So, I really don't get your frustration or your confusion on this. Yes, dangerous cold weather can be a a serious situation for anyone, but the media pre-warns people, even this forum gives heads-up way ahead of the game. There are shelters that provide warmth during bitter cold weather or in any weather situation. Thats all I have to say to you. Peace!

• Like 2

My weather station is currently showing a wind chill of around -30°! Nasty, bone-chilling, brutal wind out there! Temperature is -10° with winds around 30 mph.

Brutal cold..be safe dude. Cover that body if you have to venture outdoors.

• Like 1