January 2019 Observations and Discussion

Minny_Weather

Looks like I am forecasted to get 1-2" of snow later tanite from this clipper that was supposed to pass on by to my south. I'll accept it. Future radar looks very good. Lets call this the appetizer. ;)

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

My dumba** realized I was measuring a spot that I didn’t clear off yesterday, so my total was not 3” today. Went to a spot that was cleared off and measured 2.4”, which seems to match up with other reports in my area. But yeah, 3” between yesterday’s system and today’s, and I wasn’t even expecting an inch from either. Nice to see an over performance, and hopefully the next one does too!

• Like 1

That was the lightest and fluffiest 2.2” I have seen in awhile. KWWL actually had us down for 2” this morning. I thought no way are we getting that much...

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

78.1"  Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage  : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow  : 40

Yesterday, was such a delightful day Winter day around here which started off frigid but with calm winds and sunny skies it wasn't at all that bad.  As the day wore on, wisps of cirrus clouds through mid afternoon began to lower/thicken later in the day and allowed light/mod snow to fall from the sky from about 3:00pm-9:00pm which dropped about 1.3" of very fluffy snow.  I wasn't expecting more than 1" from this lil over-performer. 

It's been a memorable snowy stretch for the most part over here and I'm curious if what Niko mentioned about Chicago's snowy streak could rival last year's historic 9-day stretch???  I haven't dug into it to see if, in fact, we have seen daily reports of snow or not.  Needless to say, this will be one of the more memorable stretches of Winter I'll remember for years to come.

• Like 1

Tack on another subzero morning over here as radiational cooling working its magic (-3F) under clear skies, calm winds and a fresh layer of snow.  I'm sure once daylight emerges, it will look like a snow globe out there and I'd imagine the landscape to glisten and shine from the Sun's rays.  

Dayummm, I received a whopping 2.8" last night and boy, was it coming down moderate to even hvy at times. Tbh, this was not forecasted for my grid. That was a pleasant surprise. :D

@ Tom----btw, I am curious to see if you broke the record for that 10 day snow stretch. Hope you did bud!

• Like 1

Currently at 5F w clear skies. Clouds should be on a rapid increase later on tanite.

This is easily the most intense wind that wasn't associated with a severe t-storm or hurricane that I've ever seen. It's insane here.

I saw a report of a 71mph wind gust in NE I think it was...that's just wild to see given a non-severe related event.

Back from Tucson and my mother in law's funeral. Saw 200 of my husband's closest relatives!

We're at 49* Clear at sunset.

Windy 20-30 mph and heading down to 29*.

Dewpoint 33*.

It's gonna get downright cold out there, but it's on time for a typical Texas winter.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Cloudy currently w temps at 15F. NOAA might issue a WWA for my area tanite for intense squalls, which could produce moderate snow accumulations. :D

NOAA:

DAY ONE...Today and TonightOccasional lake effect snow squalls will develop tonight. The mostintense squalls will cause extremely dangerous travel conditions.Light to moderate snow accumulation is possible tonight mainlybetween the I-96 and I-69 corridors. A winter weather advisory may beneeded.
  • Like 1

Chicago has tied  the record for 13 consecutive days of snowfall. The last time this has occurred was 78-79 winter (Nov26-Dec 8th)

That was a winter that whom ever lived through that time period will always remember. It looks like the streak will continue as snow showers will develop later this morning into the afternoon.

• Like 1

Chicago has tied  the record for 13 consecutive days of snowfall. The last time this has occurred was 78-79 winter (Nov26-Dec 8th)

I wast here for that event. Even the natives were struggling.

Glad I'm observing from Texas now.

We're at 41* Partly Cloudy and light winds.

Low in the mid 30's tonight.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Not sure where to post this already posted it in the clipper but will toss it up here as well.

I did NOT clear off the driveway yet as it I am still getting heavy to at times very heavy snow falling and blowing, The measurements that I took is there is now 4″ of new snow (today) but it is winder today then yesterday so the snow is blowing a lot more. And the total on the ground here are the 3 measurements that I took 14″ 14″ and 16″  I see the temperature here at my house is warmer then the airport GRR is reporting 11 and here at my house it is 15.4° with heavy snow and blowing snow.

• Like 1

The afternoon will really start to go downhill:

National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville, IL
1149 AM CST Tue Jan 29 2019

.UPDATE...
1149 AM CST

No changes to the wind chill headlines, though as of 11am most
observation sites in the advisory are above the -20 criteria. This
will change this afternoon as the leading edge of the record cold
air mass rushes into the area. 850 mb temps upstream on the 12z
RAOB were -28 at MPX and -31 at INL and the minus upper 20s air
at 850 mb will overspread the region by mid afternoon. This will
send temperatures back down toward and below zero this afternoon
and early evening and wind chills dropping to 20 to 30 below or
colder. Scattered snow showers and blowing snow are the main issue
outside of the cold, with visibility down as low as 1 mile at
times at ob sites. Out in open areas, a combo of any falling snow
and blowing snow with winds sustained 20-30 mph gusting up to
30-35 mph and briefly 40 mph at times will cause temporary sharply
reduced visibility and possibly even brief near blizzard
conditions.

Currently a balmy 11F w mostly cloudy skies and windy conditions. Bottom falls tanite, into the -10s. Wcf in the -30s and near -50F for tomorrow nite w actual lows dropping in the upper -10s to lower -20s..

I wast here for that event. Even the natives were struggling.

Glad I'm observing from Texas now.

We're at 41* Partly Cloudy and light winds.

Low in the mid 30's tonight.

Dang, that sounds so balmy and nice..... :lol:

• Like 1