January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Agree, we are far from ready if a disaster occurred

I feel like we are quite prepared for a fairly long disruption of normal routine life whatever that might be...but I almost offered the sellers of the house we bought an extra grand if they kept their arsenal of disaster prep they had in the loft of the garage...it was impressive. Saw it when I was with the house inspector going through the house. The seller was a retired federal agent of some sort and took safety and security very seriously. I want to at some point get up to the level of supplies that he had!
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

ERJPu489_bigger.jpgJay Albrecht @AlbrechtJay 2m2 minutes ago

More

WRF shows gusts to 75 in PDX yesterday

Now it should be more in the 45-60 range like the other models.

and here is 1.33 km UW WRF for 4 AM. Winds are peaked here with inflow through the Strait of Juan de Fuca getting really strong.

DwNLKrWUwAEppcS.jpg

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I feel like we are quite prepared for a fairly long disruption of normal routine life whatever that might be...but I almost offered the sellers of the house we bought an extra grand if they kept their arsenal of disaster prep they had in the loft of the garage...it was impressive. Saw it when I was with the house inspector going through the house. The seller was a retired federal agent of some sort and took safety and security very seriously. I want to at some point get up to the level of supplies that he had!

After loosing power for 9 days november 2010 i freaked out and upgraded my generator setup. I now have a 7k remote start gen. I can drink a beer and start the gen at same time from my chair.
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

WRF showed gusts of 70 for PDX yesterday- I’m sure it’s more in-line with the 45-60 that other models are showing now.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERJPu489_bigger.jpgJay Albrecht @AlbrechtJay 2m2 minutes ago More

WRF shows gusts to 75 in PDX yesterday

Now it should be more in the 45-60 range like the other models.

and here is 1.33 km UW WRF for 4 AM. Winds are peaked here with inflow through the Strait of Juan de Fuca getting really strong.

DwNLKrWUwAEppcS.jpg

This map has a small area of 60 knot winds around the metro. Thats no joke.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Looks like things have wrapped up here.  Not much in the way of crazy wind in this part of town but certainly some spots lost some power briefly.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

This map and prev tweeted map of 40mph gusts to 60 mph in Seattle Tacoma area peaking 3-5 AM looks very close to the official NWS forecast!

DwNLsIcUwAAYiIS.jpg

That map shows North Bend being protected by Rattlesnake Ridge... hope its right.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This map has a small area of 60 knot winds around the metro. Thats no joke.

Which metro? SEA, PDX, or both?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

After loosing power for 9 days november 2010 i freaked out and upgraded my generator setup. I now have a 7k remote start gen. I can drink a beer and start the gen at same time from my chair.

Nice!! I am not quite up to that level since I still have to wheel it out and plug it into the house and hit the transfer switch, but it runs the over half the house including the vitals like the well pump, septic pump, the kitchen, and many of the lights. Big upgrade from my old house where I had to run extension cords into the house from my older smaller generator to run the refrigerator and a light. No well, etc. I’m glad the previous owners left the generator! I was quite amazed with how little fuel it used, my power was out for 24hrs and I had the generator running for 20 of those hours...Used less than 10 gallons.

904F141F-0937-4E6A-B80A-09A653F55EAC.jpeg

358A05D4-1D82-493B-AA08-80D8D66A8564.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

60+ gusts make their way into the south sound by 2am. This would bust the "barely an ant fart of a breeze will grace my Bonney Lake property" forecast.

Is it bad that I am hoping that things are a little north of what is modeled and my area gets in on some action?
  • Like 2

widespread sustained winds of 30mph with gusts a bit higher. For Bothell, sustained of 25mph, and for B ;) nn ;) y L ;) k ;)  - sustained of 30ish as well. The windfield looks to be healthy for the eastern lowlands.

Cool! This storms impact looks similar to others this year just different locations.

Pressure falls/warm advection within the warm sector of the low in the absence of solar insolation? Might be tough to mix down the good winds until the pressure surge arrives.

At least that’s how it works here. I don’t know about your microscale stuff/topography.

looks like your right and a bit of the vacuum effect: https://earthsky.org/earth/why-is-there-a-calm-before-a-storm

From what people are describing it looks quite strong here in PDX right now, still increasing. Apparently transformers are blowing all over the place.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Make that 21,467. Climbing insanely fast

Make that 21,467. Climbing insanely fast

Gusts are climbing fast too!

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

49 at PDX. Gets my seal of approval already.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife