Polite Politics

Rubus Leucodermis

7 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Yeah, they usually don't show up on flightaware, its always worth checking adsbexchange, they tend to show miitary flights (assuming they are transmitting data).  It's pretty rare to see fighter type aircraft but you can usually pick up tankers, transports, and surveillance A/C (including drones).  ADSBexchange actually has a filter for military A/C.

Honestly, it looks kinda quiet tonight.  I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow and see how it compares to what I usually see/

This guy has been flying around to your south tonight.

image.thumb.png.f90164529fc5d56e8bb416c5386fcb23.png

Here is the current PNW view:

image.thumb.png.38cfd98ad5f2e5f9ba5f5d4b2eb8c4d7.png

a couple of helicopters down in Tacoma, and a tanker out of Spokane is south of Missoula

A C-17 is crossing the Oregon California border, and a C-5M is doing pattern work at Travis AFB

I actually have a feeder station set up for those sites, I need to figure out how to get the hits on my antennas logged in a database.  Even private pilots can have their information blocked from showing up on those sites.  They are still transmitting ADSB data (which I can see) but it gets blocked somewhere between my Rasberry pi that is running the feeder software and the actual website.  It would be fun to see those.  We also have a lot of Border Patrol aircraft flying overhead.  Their Blackhawk does not show up, but their H125 usually does.  I pick up the life flight helicopters but don't pick up the Navy helicopters when they have to go up and pluck someone off Baker.  We are on the flight path from Baker to the hospital, so we always know when they are up there (at least 2-3 times a month during the winter).  If I had the database set up, I could pull it up as they fly over and see if I have any entries associated with them.

We had a Growler circle over our house for several minutes yesterday, and we have had a C130 flying a lot of circles near our house the past few days under the callsign Hauler4.  They have been coming out of Abbotsford.  I think there is an MRO there that has a fat government contract with the US and Canadian government.  LOTS of military transports flying long holding patterns, which is something I think they do when they are calibrating navigation systems.  Also see lots of aerial fire fighting aircraft.

For grins and giggles, here is a shot of Europe, and it is surprisingly quiet.  You can see an AWACS off the east coast of England, kind of unusual to see them there, I'm guessing Putin must have a carrier working in the area and they are keeping an eye on it.

image.thumb.png.e10b13820086613bb036b24029b0611c.png

You can usually see AWACS and Reaper drones down over the Black Sea, Ukraine, Romania and Bulgaria. 

Awesome info!! Yeah I must have been hearing that one to the south as it was a lot of loud but more distant rumbling that seems to go on for a long time and then it will get quiet for a bit and then we hear more longish duration jet rumble. Nothing that shook the house last night but we had that a few nights ago. Sounded like a very low cargo type jet. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

8 hours ago, Andie said:

I live 5 mi from the end of the runways at Ft Worth Naval Air Station.  They were quite active here a few weeks ago.  Usually practicing ‘touch and goes’ but getting their hours in.   
Most of what we see is training. Some is test flight work from the assembly at Lockheed.  
Annual Flight work from reserves gets noisy. Fun to watch. Grew up with it. I don’t even “hear it” anymore. But sympathize.  

I lived off the extended final for Dobbins Air Force base in Marietta Ga (NW of Atlanta).  The C-5's were built there so we were always getting flyovers from them.  They are so big they just didn't look natural.  Also tons of C130's.  There was a Army NG unit based there so lots of Huey's as well. 

They also had an Air NG unit that had the F-4 Phantoms, then were the first Guard unit to transition to the F-15.  Always lots of fun to watch those guys flying around. 

The summer after I moved away, that Lockheed facility was tasked with decommissioning the SR71.  My buddy and his dad worked at a cabinet maker workshop that butted up against the Lockheed hangar, he said they could see the SR71s through the trees as they wheeled them into the hangars to removed all of the spy stuff.   They would wheel them back out and zoom off to the desert.  He said it was one of the coolest things to see (also really sad).

5 hours ago, MossMan said:

Awesome info!! Yeah I must have been hearing that one to the south as it was a lot of loud but more distant rumbling that seems to go on for a long time and then it will get quiet for a bit and then we hear more longish duration jet rumble. Nothing that shook the house last night but we had that a few nights ago. Sounded like a very low cargo type jet. 

Big difference today:

image.thumb.png.bf38263ed217f3064df27438f2bd0056.png

Looks like a couple of P-8 Posidens (antisubmarine warfare aircraft based on the 737) are flying around the sound, and there was an Apache down by JBLM.  The P-8's are probably on test or acceptance flights.  I can't remember if there is an ASW unit based at Whidbey, so it's possible there could be some based there.

There is an AWACs near Denver, and a couple of RC-135 (signal intelligence) over Kansas.  It's always fun to track aircraft, I can easily lose an hour looking at what all is up flying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Big difference today:

image.thumb.png.bf38263ed217f3064df27438f2bd0056.png

Looks like a couple of P-8 Posidens (antisubmarine warfare aircraft based on the 737) are flying around the sound, and there was an Apache down by JBLM.  The P-8's are probably on test or acceptance flights.  I can't remember if there is an ASW unit based at Whidbey, so it's possible there could be some based there.

There is an AWACs near Denver, and a couple of RC-135 (signal intelligence) over Kansas.  It's always fun to track aircraft, I can easily lose an hour looking at what all is up flying.

Are there always an AWACs in OKC near Tinker?

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

2 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I lived off the extended final for Dobbins Air Force base in Marietta Ga (NW of Atlanta).  The C-5's were built there so we were always getting flyovers from them.  They are so big they just didn't look natural.  Also tons of C130's.  There was a Army NG unit based there so lots of Huey's as well. 

They also had an Air NG unit that had the F-4 Phantoms, then were the first Guard unit to transition to the F-15.  Always lots of fun to watch those guys flying around. 

The summer after I moved away, that Lockheed facility was tasked with decommissioning the SR71.  My buddy and his dad worked at a cabinet maker workshop that butted up against the Lockheed hangar, he said they could see the SR71s through the trees as they wheeled them into the hangars to removed all of the spy stuff.   They would wheel them back out and zoom off to the desert.  He said it was one of the coolest things to see (also really sad).

Oh my we have a lot in common. Having grown up with the AFB/NAS  jets ripping overhead they were like virtual lullabies to me, got so used to them.  
I love to watch the C130’s lumber onto the runway and land. They’re like goonie birds they’re so big and appear so slow you think they’ll drop out of the sky.  
The action during Vietnam and all the Middle East mess was interesting as well. Lots of “cowboys” in the sky. 
The SR71 must have been awesome.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

15 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

They are still transmitting ADSB data (which I can see) but it gets blocked somewhere between my Rasberry pi that is running the feeder software and the actual website.  I

Is it not possible to read the data locally without having to rely on a "website"?

8 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Is it not possible to read the data locally without having to rely on a "website"?

With the correct SDR (software defined radio) USB device, it is just a matter of software (and the hardware is not expensive, $40 or less). And there is almost certainly open-source software to decode ADS-B signals (it is not a secret code).

It's called clown range for a reason.

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

Are there always an AWACs in OKC near Tinker?

Yeah, I think just about every time I have looked around, there has been a couple of AWACs, SigInt (RC-135 or one of it's cousins) and an EF4B or 2 wandering around the central part of the country.  The EF4B is the "doomsday" aircraft that is supposed to be able to survive the EMP from a nuclear attack.  I think if something were to go down, the Joint Chiefs would be loaded up on those to take care of business.  I think the President can even go on those.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Yeah, I think just about every time I have looked around, there has been a couple of AWACs, SigInt (RC-135 or one of it's cousins) and an EF4B or 2 wandering around the central part of the country.  The EF4B is the "doomsday" aircraft that is supposed to be able to survive the EMP from a nuclear attack.  I think if something were to go down, the Joint Chiefs would be loaded up on those to take care of business.  I think the President can even go on those.

Yes, Tinker is one of the few AFBs where that have the hangers and things for AWAC planes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

It is, I just haven't figured out how to do it yet.  I can pull up a live feed and watch it in real time, but I don't know how to take that and have it populate a database.  Also, this system "pings" so entries repeat every few seconds while in range, I would only want it to capture one entry, otherwise the database would get out of hand in a hurry

• Sick 1

36 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

With the correct SDR (software defined radio) USB device, it is just a matter of software (and the hardware is not expensive, $40 or less). And there is almost certainly open-source software to decode ADS-B signals (it is not a secret code).

Yes, I have the set up, and am feeding to flight aware, flight radar 24, etc.  I just don't have a local data logging capability.  Just a matter of figuring out how to do it.

• Like 3

Here is my set up.  I designed and 3d printed some clips to attach my SDR’s to a muffin fan, as they get pretty warm.  I need to do a better set up, one of my projects for this spring

IMG_5677.jpeg

IMG_5678.jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

• Like 1
  • scream 1

14 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

With their “groomer” rhetoric, antigay fascists are planning on killing a lot of people if they get their way. That is really the only conclusion I can come to.

So opposition of schools teaching children to become LGBTQ justice warriors in preschool and kindergarten is fascist and will lead to many deaths of LGBTQ people?

5 minutes ago, ML Loather said:

So opposition of schools teaching children to become LGBTQ justice warriors in preschool and kindergarten is fascist and will lead to many deaths of LGBTQ people?

So opposition to Jewish gangs kidnapping and killing Christian children to use their blood in secret rituals is fascist and will lead to the deaths of many Jewish people?

• Confused 1

On 4/17/2023 at 2:50 PM, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Prompted by this discussion, I have been reading the text of the bill and it is not an all out ban of semiautomatic firearms. It is a ban of certain types of semiautomatic rifles (so-called assault weapons or assault rifles).

Incorrect. It bans specific features that rule out almost all semi-automatic rifles, several popular semi-automatic handguns and shotguns. It also bans specific parts for maintenance of already owned firearms. Not only that, but there's a long list of specifically targeted firearms that are being banned.

Seriously did you actually read the bill?

• Popcorn 1

1 hour ago, smerfylicious said:

Incorrect. It bans specific features that rule out almost all semi-automatic rifles, several popular semi-automatic handguns and shotguns. It also bans specific parts for maintenance of already owned firearms. Not only that, but there's a long list of specifically targeted firearms that are being banned.

I bet they also banned mass shooters' favorite weapons, too!

Darn.

11 hours ago, smerfylicious said:

In fact I did. The text of what passed the Legislature is right here:

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1240-S.pdf#page=1

It clearly targets certain types semiautomatic rifles.

17 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I believe I saw one or it’s cousin here a few years ago. With Lockheed connected to the AFB many unusual planes come in for refitting.   
a yr ago I watched at least a dozen AWACS take off. No doubt getting refitted for something.  
Damned impressive.   I parked and watched them take off.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

5 hours ago, MossMan said:

Sounds like things are getting a little rough for the big man…

E07E1E70-3525-435D-889F-73DB5B66856B.jpeg

I can't tell if you're posting this sarcastically or not, but this is propaganda. Very bad, tabloidesque propaganda too, even by Western standards.

• Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

7 hours ago, MossMan said:

Sounds like things are getting a little rough for the big man…

E07E1E70-3525-435D-889F-73DB5B66856B.jpeg

I think Vlad is sicker than we know.  
All the chemo, thyroid surgery.  He may be one of the casualties of his own war!  …I doubt I can work up a tear so I’ll just say “Adios Pendejo!!!”

• Excited 1
  • lol 1

India has surpassed China as the most populated nation in the entire world.

Since China views itself as #1 and India as inferior, this may cause a huge blow to their morale.